1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How would you feel if we got Carmelo?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rofflesaurus, Jun 13, 2014.

Tags:
?

How would you feel about Carmelo?

Poll closed Jul 13, 2014.
  1. Terrible. Melonoma.

42 vote(s)
    15.2%
  2. Could work.

77 vote(s)
    27.8%
  3. Ecstatic. WCF bound.

101 vote(s)
    36.5%
  4. Not one, not two, not three...

57 vote(s)
    20.6%
  1. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Spurs wouldn't beat us we are to them what the Seattle Supersonics were to us in the mid 90's.

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

You do understand that defensive role players will be picked up via the exceptions available and we simply cannot use those until we land the final piece, right?

3. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Not if we go sign a 4 that can play defense. Mchale just needs to coach or have a better assistant coach or whatever.

4. photojoe

photojoe Member

Couldn't say this any better. I would have very mixed reactions.

Besides KD, Melo and Harden are 2 of the top, what, top 5 scorers in the league? Arguably even 2 out of the top 3.

When I think about an offense that has Harden, Parsons, Melo at the 4 and Dwight operating down low (with more space than he has probably ever had before), I get giddy. That is ridiculous. How could anyone ever stop that? Have Daniels coming in off the bench and getting a couple of wide open 3's as well. That's just crazy.

But then you have to think about defense. And you have to wonder how those egos will all mesh. And you have to consider how they will feel about playing off the ball and sharing more shots than they are used to.

Maybe it would work and those things wouldn't matter because we would outscore everyone. Or maybe the whole thing would blow up and be a massive failure. It would be interesting to watch.

If we did get Melo, I wonder if someone like Tony Allen, Shawn Marion or Sefolosha would be interested in taking a vet discount to come and play here to pursue a ring? Shoot, if we had Harden and Melo in the same lineup, I wouldn't be overly opposed to trading Parsons to bring in a wing defender as well.....

5. Hmm

Hmm Member

This isn't NBA 2k14... Why are so many ignoring the facts about Harden, the facts about McHale, and the facts about Melo and how they clash...?

1 person likes this.
  6. rocketseagles07

I will have mixed emotions. First off I don't think carmelo is a "team cancer" and I'm all for signing him. The question is does he gives us more of what we already have and not help us where we need to improve?

7. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

Thing i worry about if we get Melo is that we're gonna see Iso Harden and Iso Melo.

8. photojoe

photojoe Member

Sure, Melo couldn't guard guys like LMA, Blake Griffin, Randolph, Love, David Lee or Duncan (although I think Duncan retires after the Spurs win the championship this year).

But, do you think any of those guys could guard Melo?

What's the other team going to do? Those great PF's couldn't guard Melo out to the 3-point line. If their best perimeter defender switched onto Melo, that would leave Harden with a weaker defender.

That lineup would basically be saying, "We are going to play a little bit of defense, but mostly we are going to score. A lot. Try to keep up."

9. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Beats Iso Lin and Iso Parsons :cool:

10. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

Thats true :)

11. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

I would jerk it a couple of times

12. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

I think I would be excited with a hint of nervousness.

While not great on defense, I think Carmelo would score as much as his man or more on most nights plus he makes whoever is guarding him work hard as well. Will he have trouble with Aldridge and Blake? sure, but it wont be like jones giving up 30 and scoring 8. Its easier to have LMA go for 25-30 when Melo is putting up the same. He is at least capable of passable defense.

How he meshes with Harden worries me though.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

One lazy declining player is enough. Guess we really want to ensure another first round exit. Only want him if his friend Lebron comes with him.

14. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

You guys don't think Parsons would adjust to the role of a rich man's 3 and D player? Also, Carmelo is no slouch on the defensive end; he may be average, but that is an improvement for our starting 5

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

He is a slouch, below average. Better than Harden but that's not saying much.

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Harden will be fine, IMO. He worked just fine in the 4th quarters of games with Westbrook and Durant, so I think he'll adjust to Melo in time as well.

17. Bigsupervise

Bigsupervise Member

Means that Morey is building this team like he's playing fantasy basketball and not actually trying to build a cohesive team....the rockets need role players that can do their role effectively and consistently. Rockets dont need another superstar, they need time and coaching. For all the hype about the heat, the honest truth is that have barely dominated one of the weakest conferences in sports. And that conference is weak mainly because the top players Lebron (cleveland), Bosh (toronto), Allen (boston) and wade (miami) all teamed up and Howard (orlando) left for the west...Rose (chicago) injured and rondo (boston) injured, Garnett and Pierce (age). The model in the nba is the spurs with sound coaching, longevity, continuity, a deep bench, and playing unselfishly. Rockets have 2 of the top 10 players in the nba, they have 4 young role players (Bev, Lin, Parson, Jones) they just need to give them time, coaching, and some veteran help and guidance. How can this team ever grow if there is constant trade rumors around everyone on the team?

18. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

I'd feel great, when you have a chance to get a third star player you do it imo.

You can always build around them with coaching and role players.

Everyone's concerned about our defense and rightly so, but an elite coach is what cures that with the right role players.

Look at Clifford's first year at Charlotte, they were much worse than us defensively and went to top 5 in one year. With almost the same players.

Pops is the real star on that Spurs team.

You always take upgrades in talent, but you need elite coaching to maximize players especially defensively imo.

19. Nook

Nook Member

This coming from the man that thinks that Lin > Harden...

20. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

Melo would also murder the PF's that have to guard him. It goes both ways, whereas last year Tjones would get murdered but couldn't dish it out on the other end. Much better situation with Melo