1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Horrible Developments Coming Our way

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oeilpere, Oct 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

Glad I stayed out of this one.

Always value your scoops man. :D

email : sonny@altra.com

2. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Remember Pops, for every one poster masturbating on their keyboards, there are 15 more just lurking, getting their jollies to everything you do post. You can't stop now because of a few disbelievers/idiots.

Look at the views this thread got...over 4000.

Keep up the good work.

Email me at behad@yahoo.com

3. WoodlandsBoy

WoodlandsBoy Contributing Member

OP,

Please, Please don't stop posting. I almost exclusively look for your posts to get the real scoop. I just think that the scenerio you are putting together makes so much sense that people just don't want to believe it.

I can't beleive GS would trade for Ward when he is so expensive for the next three years.

I keep my fingers crossed because going into the season depending on Cato is just unacceptable. The wind will blow and he will twist his already weak ankle so he won't have to perform on the court and keep smoking and snorting our $42 mil that we pay for with tickets to the rockets games.

Again please keep the good info coming.

4. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Ouch and CRAP! I've had a bad feeling about this since 'pere posted it. It's just been to quiet since this rumor has popped up. Other then a few articles popping claiming he Warriors wouldn't match, things have been to quiet. Why the Warriors would want to keep Marc Jackson after ripping into him, and him ripping into them is beyond me. It's not like they're giving him more money, they're essentially giving him the same money he is being offered by a team he wants to play for to stay on a team he DOESN'T want to play for. And the Warriors will be stuck with him. There is no way someone is going to trade for his 6 year deal in January, and they can't trade him to Houston because Houston doesn't have any capspace. It would be nice for Marc or his agent to come out and say they want to leave Golden State. Either way, it's time to make a few phone calls to Mason and his agent.

Don't stop posting, you're scoops keep us from going crazy, but just in case here's my email: Journeyman969@yahoo.com ;)

5. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I second samcassell and behads comments wholeheartedly,

I look forward to the information you divulge to us on this board, its a big reason why this is the best fan site on the web.

You provide us a great service and i do think that you have earned the right to be trusted, i definitely trust you and your sources :)

Please dont stop giving out information because a few bad apples woke up on the wrong side of the bed when they posted, 99% of the board eagerly awaits one of your or DocRockets posts, thats information fans of other teams only can dream of ever acquiring.

Anyways, if you are going to give reports via email from now on i definitely want to hear them so feel free to email them to me at davidv2001@yahoo.com

You are the best, pops :)

6. OT

OT Member

oeilpere
    Don't stop posting!!!!!!! You are one of only 2 posters that I actually do searches to find your posts. You know how the story goes about a few bad apples. Please keep up your good work!!!!!

7. sirhangover

sirhangover Member

if it comes true then those people will have egg on their face right?

I think this is a funny ego thing..jordanesque if you ask me..

you can add me to your ignore list or list of doubters as I'd rather get the info without having to jock then getting the info at all..thanks but no thanks..

show me the money and then I am wrong...i'll admit I am wrong or was wrong to doubt yet how many nostradamus things that you have said have come true..maybe a percent??..or the obvious 'we need a big man' how many scoops could I have saying things like that? then we have to massage your ego?

c'mon man this is the internet anyway what do you expect? gimme a break..

in the meantime you will get respect you deserve and have received anyway (far more than any poster here ever)..but you are only as good as yesterday why should we all fall at your feet anyway..??

that being said its nice to see someone ballsy enough to make predictions and I honor you for that .. Really though if you look at it objectively popeye ,post popeye I havent really seen too much to be honest..

just an honest observation from a long time lurker..

i hope i didnt hurt anyone's feelings

:rolleyes:

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Well, I hope you didn't mean me when you said you got so pissed off?!

I don't quite understand why you get so angry - it is not that people would not believe you or call you a liar (at least I didn't). However, it could still happen that someone tells you something and in the end, it still doesn't happen, even if it is an excellent source, no?? I always look forward to reading your posts, but I have to say that I am very surprised that you freak out like this just because some people question that this is going to happen. Again, from what I understand, nobody was questioning your integrity or truthfulness or whatever...people just made points as to why they think it is more realistic that Jackson ends up in Houston.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

oeilpere,

I read all your posts. I posted twice in other threads my belief in the validity of your trade talk here. I failed to come back here and post it. Understand that your words can spawn inaccurracies that then flood the bbs. Several other threads started as more reports were coming in. The timing of responses in this thread should be measured against the timing of responses in other threads.

I spent time explaining to at least 2 non-believers in other threads how your trades could be accurate, yet not be able to come true anymore, as well.

In this thread, I made a mistake in saying "I cannot give ANY of the rumors ANY credit." In hindsight, that reads like an attack, I suppose. But that was not my motivation. I read your initial post as you disbelieving some of the stories as well, and throwing them out there for consumption. I felt like my comment is exactly what I'd say to you had you told me in a bar with full faith in your accuracy....sort of like...popeye, I think the source is missing something,,,here's why. Most importantly, I measured my response out of homey desire to not want to believe, given your dire thread title, and Jeff agreeing with it. My belief was that, sources or not, we need MJ; and for the good of the Rockets, the rules of the CBA must (for our sake) prevent your trades from coming true.

As more articles have come in, it confirms my believe in both the CBA and your sources. I wanted to believe that you could be correct but at the same time be able to dismiss the implications of you being correct and us losing MJ. And given the BBS being worried, I also wanted to give others the ability to believe with me....via all I can offer, and that is CBA rules.

You see, one major piece of the puzzle was hidden from us by inaccurate journalists who reported that we sent an Offer Sheet to GS on Friday. Now we find that the Offer Sheet didn't become official until Tuesday, meaning CD was feverously trying to work a direct trade for Marc Jackson or another center in the league while threatening GS with an offer sheet if a favorable deal can't be worked out. But, now all those discussions are illegal, because trades (even future ones) with any team cannot influence GS's decision on the Offer Sheet in front of them, as it is right now--but not when you posted.

That's the beauty of it....you are absolutely right, yet I need not fear your thread title anymore.

popeye, I never ask you about your trades, because trade talk doesn't mean anything to me until they finalize. I'm odd that way. Trust me though, I am motivated to analyze the technical aspects of your rumors to offer clarity to them, not skepticism. I might not talk directly to you on these trades, but I am trying to help make sense out of it because you are right time and time again...

If any CBA clarity can help you ask one of your sources to clarify, that is a good thing. Maybe they come back and say, you know, you're right popeye...that idea was talked about but dropped for CBA reasons. Who knows.

If you report Dampier for Ward and your source says it is for luxury tax reasons, if I find a reason to dismiss that...the motivation is not to dismiss you or your sources...it is objective probing....as in, "is there something we are missing, because on the surface something appears to be missing."

as for the Ignore List...popeye....I currently have Doc Rocket on ignore, for reasons I find difficult to explain....mechanical reasons/not personal...partly out of principal for him never responding to other threads, like he is just dropping by with news but not to play...then, why not email it to Clutch to post, then? then holding back Clutch from reporting news. Partly because I personally must prune the bbs since am a better poster when I don't respond to everything, yet I'm addicted and get in trouble....lol! Partly because trade rumors are nothing but a distraction to my reason for loving cc.net....to talk about the game. Partly because I have nothing to offer his threads, since all he does is report. Partly as preparation for this BBS doubling in thread generation requiring sanity by implemented an automatic pruning system to limit how fast threads scroll away.

My criteria for Ignore is NOT a matter of personality as much mechanical. But even with all those criteria, Doc still passes, if he would just write as well as you. Your writing is a pure joy. Compare that to Doc's silly enigmatic dribblings or his ALL CAPS "your guys are wrong" proclamations about player analysis....that is as belligerent as me....lol! Missing a Doc thread is no big deal to me. But missing a popeye thread is like missing a Jonathan Feigen article about camp....and worse, because I feel I know you.

anyhow, I hope you can read the other threads of Wednesday and accept my promise that I was trying to piece together a scenario of you being right, but with nothing for us to fear.

Oh, and you can't put Will on Ignore since he's an admin....I already tried. j/k ;)

10. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Pops, I hope you weren't offended by my post. I never meant to imply that you are a liar. I was disappointed to hear this because this obviously would be a major setback for the Rockets this year. I just hope and pray that we can get MJ. Don't let a couple of posters/lurkers here give you grief. I have always appreciated your inside info and as I mentioned in an another thread, you are my favorite poster here because you give me what I want: information that you can't find elsewhere or at least not until weeks later. Feel free to email me anytime with a scoop at jfyoung@charter.net.

11. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

How can he read this if he has already put you on his ignore list? Come to think of it..how can you read this post if I am on your ignore list?:confused:

12. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

OP

I was probably one of the first to question you and I prefaced my remarks by mentioning that I had respect for you and your contributions. I would say that the subject contribution was valuable but you would agree that it had legitimate holes in it. You did not editorialize and just gave us the facts. Probably the only editorializing you did was in your subject: Horrible Developments Coming Our Way.

Horrible Developments for who? It would seem, as we later found out and concluded, that it would be GSW. I just cannot see the horrible developments for the ROX. It would be unfortunate if we did lose Jackson but that is nothing compared to the problems GSW will have matching the offer, sending somebody else somewhere and expecting malcontent Jackson to play for them.

In the final and current analysis, where do you stand in your thoughts on the possibly of Jackson becoming a rocket? Are the horrible developments still coming, are on hold or are they going away?

By the way, I trust you have me on you mailing list.

13. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

While it is not my wish, with all due respect, if you are going to get all hot and bothered when people doubt/disagree with you, then maybe its best that you keep your info to emails.

Your information is great but there is no reason to get offended when someone doubts you. Its a fun sports related message board with many different points of view and sources of information. Hell, look at me, I thought ESPN Insider was the greatest thing since sliced bread until i started reading the same articles in that day's paper.

There are too many other things to get upset about in the world these days to waste your time getting pissed at this. For me, this board is my link to Houston Rockets rumors, news, etc since I live up north. For others, its a 10 minute release from reality and a place to be a wise ass and not show their face.

I mean, can you imagine if Peter Vescey wrote a column to back up every column he wrote???

Can't we all just get along????

14. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Come on guys, GROUP HUG! :)

15. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I think yall are all gay.

except Outlaw.

16. Band Geek Mobster

I'm with hangover and rm95...

Almost every thread of yours contains countless posts thanking you for the information you provide. A few people disagree with you and you decide to take your ball and only share it with people that will kiss your ass and ask to be on your e-mail list...

Your info has been great in the past, but I'm not going to beg for you to stay or ask that you would pretty please with sugar on top put me on your e-mail list...

17. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Oeilpere, i think you are overreacting here. Your posts carry as much respect and weight as any one on the board, including any Admins. If you stopped posting here it would be a major blow to many of us. But differences of opinion are important, and I my reading I don't believe anyone was disrespectful in expressing they view things differently based on their evaluation of GS's situation. There is no doubt you have great information to provide, but even Rudy or CD may not be completely forthcoming in their own information to test waters, or even more likely for the current situation, I wouldn't put it past the comparable GS folks to misleading our brass to serve their ends (many potential viable ones). In short, I have no doubt you are faithfully presenting what you know, but that doesn't mean I would not also digest others readings of the events/situations.

Personally, if I were GS I would try to dump Damp and keep Marc J (disgruntled or not) because he is at least as good, Damp has a bad injury history, and MJ is a bargain cost for a mid-quality center at 6 years (and about 1/2 the cost of Damp). I do question whether GS would really want Ward given their wanting to give young guards PT or that NY would want the brittle or overpaid Damp for their best PG, but the motivation for keeping Marc J might be enough so that such a deal gets worked out. I really don't know what will happen just based on public/surface info, so information like you provide is much appreciated.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I can tell you from experience,,,it is refreshing when sirhangover slaps you, especially when it's all the way from France.

btw: if anyone wants all 5,000 of my posts via email this year, post your email address.

19. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

OP,

If this was directed at me, I apologize. I never stated, nor did I mean to imply that you weren't telling the truth. That would've definitely qualified as stupid on my part.

I'm a very logical person (sometimes to the point of being called anal), that's why I rely on RealGM's salary charts & trade checkers so much. I know that the CBA is very restrictive when teams are over the cap & that any trades have to fit within the 15% trade rule.

A trade between NY & GS, involving the principal players that you mentioned, could definitely fit under the guidelines of the CBA's 15% trade rule.

My post's were made, because such a trade & the subsequent matching of Jackson's offer sheet would go against everything that I had read & heard involving GS wanting to dump salary in order to not be faced with the possibility of paying the luxury tax. You might say that I was thinking out loud & looking for some more clarification as to whether or not GS had changed it's stance on dumping salary.

As far as the post regarding Ward's trade kicker, according to the CBA, NY would have to use his regular salary of $5.5 mill for salary going out, while GS would have to use his $5.5 mill + the $900k trade kicker for salary coming in. The net result would be that GS would have to take back more salary. However, the trade works if they trade Dampier for Ward, straight up.

I hope this clears up the intentions of my posts & again, if I insulted you in any way, I apologize. I've enjoyed reading your posts & actually look to see if you're logged in on the front page everytime I log on. If it weren't for the inside info that you post, I probably wouldn't spend near the time on here that I do. Thanks again.

By the way, assuming for a moment that I'm not on your ignore list, do you know if GS & Jackson are talking to each other & does it look like they'll be able to get over the bad blood that has developed?

#119 Hottoddie, Oct 4, 2001
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2001
  20. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Dude, was it entirely necessary for you to quote HeyPee's entire post just to add 2 sentences of your own comments?

:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.