1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Horrible Developments Coming Our way

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oeilpere, Oct 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

Made reference to a story I was working on this AM. Sorry for delay.

The Plot

Heard this weekend that Miami, New York and Indiana have had substantial contact with GSW on the Jackson situation. Initial reports are that New York had the edge. The deal apparently got out of the bag last night and it has been floating around the media circles that New York is after Jackson and will do a deal with GSW. That is the rumor. It is also hogwash.

Finaly got some calls back that partially substantiated other sources.

The Deal

New York wants to unload Charlie Ward. They seemingly will do anything to get him out the door. GSW now can keep Jackson for a paltry $3.25M (paltry because their other F/C's have horrendous contracts in comparison). GSW will take Charlie Ward but unload at last one contract. Sources say it is D. Fortson or E. Dampier to New York.

Results

NY unloads Ward.
    NY gets a serviceable Center.

GSW gets to match our offer and keep Marc Jackson as their center and unload some Five spot weight. Big weight..
    GSW gets to unload some Center weight.
    GSW gets a decent Point Guard in Charlie Ward.

What it means for Houston

If this deal or a similiar deal happens (there is another one out there that involves Indiana that is heavy and scarry too) we have lost out on all fronts.

1. We lose Marc Jackson. There is no other center option out there that is even close to the Jackson acquisition for us right now. Anyone who has read or watched Cato's recent responses has to shudder at the prognosis of the happening.
    2. Any possibility of a GSW trade (Walt for Mookie, for instance) to shore up our point guard situation is lost, meaning we also lose some leverage with that damn Fegan in his dealings with the Mooch signing.

Last Hope

1. If the New York deal is squelched, we effectively get Jackson as the consolation prize of GSW blowing/not wanting the deal somehow. There is no alternative. Either we get Jackson or GSW gets him. There is no other option at this point.
    2. We could sweeten the pot throwing in some other angles. A three-way with NY and GSW is not out of the question. There are also some other scenarios that would efectively help all us but as I said they are remote at this point. GSW apparently has said no to at least two of them. CD burning up the fax machine crazy!
    3. The best advantage is .... Marc Jackson wants to play here. Not GSW. A three way may be to the advantage of GSW with some more NY players involved to effect a decent outcome for them.

Fingers crossed.

Gotta Go!

Cheers.

#1 oeilpere, Oct 2, 2001
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2001
  2. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

Thanks. I guess.

3. Houstone

Houstone Member

No way that happens, if that happens I'll give my left nut to charity..:D

#3 Houstone, Oct 2, 2001
  4. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

*Sigh* It's never easy. . .

5. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Hello Anthony Mason

6. BTM

BTM Member

So the Dampier/Ward deal is gonna go down. This means we won't get Jackson and his nasty new contract. My prayers are being answered. This is so good. We're avoiding a really ugly situation if this happens.

7. Band Geek Mobster

If Jackson really wants to play for Houston, couldn't he just come out and say he doesn't want to play for NY, Miami, or Indiana?

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

<b>Jackson can only play for two teams this year...GS or Houston</b>

Any rumor about Jackson going somewhere else is "hogwash" as oeilpere says....unless both the Rockets and Jackson rescind their offer sheet. If GS exercises their ROFR, GS is not allowed to trade Jackson for 1 year.

9. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

I have faith that everything will work out for the Rockets. Marc Jackson reallly wants to play in Houston, and, yeah, I know that doesn't really matter, but the last thing a ballclub (the Warriors) need is a player that doesn't want to play for them, right?

Jax
    KT
    glen
    cat
    The Franchise

I'm still confident this will be our opening night lineup.

:cool:

:(

10. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As bad as it sounds, the only leverage the Rockets have at this point is what Marc Jackson himself says. If I was CD/RT/Les, I would tell Marc that his best chance to play with the Rockets is for him to start telling every reporter who will listen how much he hated GS and how he doesn't want to play there. It will tarnish his image, but in the end his situation will be improved.

11. enbehay

enbehay Member

Why would you think that? I give you Kelvin Cato as an example.

12. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Uh, the only real ugly situation might be having Cato at C and Kenny Thomas at PF, giving us the weakest PF/C combo in the NBA. Historically speaking, there can't be much of a worse combo EVER.

Wake up and realize that Jackson is better than Thomas or Cato.

13. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Guess what BTM, we don't have capspace with or without Jackson's contract. The only reason the Rockets can get him is with the medical exception, so the "nasty situation" you are talking about is getting Marc Jackson and not having cap space, or losing Marc Jackson, and not having capspace. If your "prayers" is that the Rockets have a depleted frontline without capspace and miss the playoffs then congratulations, your prayers have been answered.

14. Thanos

Thanos Member

Damn! I knew it was too good to be true!

I can't believe the Warriors are going to keep Jackson against his will.

keep your fingers crossed guys!

15. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Sad to say but I heard this rumor as well today. It is extremely credible. From the Chron report, GS would not be able to trade MJ for 90 days if they choose to match the Houston offer.

At this point, it would appear the most likely scenario is GS working out a deal with another team for one of their centers and they get Jackson for a relatively small amount compared to what it looked like he might get earlier this summer.

Unfortunately, it appears we got screwed out of this one.

16. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Can we trade Cato for Charlie Ward....then Trade Charlie to the Texans for cap space?

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

That is what I was thinking. So I don't understand why the rumors Popeye is posting should worry us. Am I missing something? :confused:

18. enbehay

enbehay Member

Time out. I have great respect for both Crispee and Jeff. However, if Crispee is right, Jeff can't be. The opposite also holds true. Which is it?

19. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't understand, Jeff. You are saying that the likely scenario is that Golden State matches our offer, and then trades MJ to another team in 90 days? Because if they don't match our offer, he is ours, right? But if they do match our offer, then they can't trade him for 90 days. Are you saying that GSW will keep Jackson, or they will trade him for another center?

#19 RunninRaven, Oct 2, 2001
  20. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Jeff,

The Chronicle report says that Jackson cannot be traded for one year, not 90 days.

Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson said he expects to get an answer from the Warriors about whether they will match the Rockets offer to Marc Jackson by the end of the week. If the Warriors match the offer, he cannot be traded for a year, making the decision solely a choice between accepting the six-year, $24.375 million offer the Rockets made and keeping Jackson or letting him walk without compensation.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/bk/bkn/1069729

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.