1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Horrible Developments Coming Our way

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oeilpere, Oct 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Sure it is easy to talk about camp....unless you can only talk about glamorous NY Knicks trade rumors.

Do you all see that we don't lose our exception if Marc is matched.

imo, the only way for the teams in question to purge salary is for us to be involved in the trade to our advantage....since we are the ones holding the exception.

2. warriorsworld

warriorsworld Member

Thanos, those moves were done by team Twardleman. Thankfully they are no longer with us. St. and Fitzsimmons have made only one questionable move. #14 to Atlanta for Mookie and a lower pick that became Vonteego Cummings.

Other than that, they have done a great job.

I would bet that you guys will end up with Jackson, who will be serviceable as long as you have someone else to play help defense.

3. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Should fit in perfectly then, defense is illegal under Rudy:D

4. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

I also think that Jackson will be a Rocket. I just can't see any moves that are beneficial to the Warriors that would include him playing there this upcoming year. Fortson is better. Isn't Dampier just another Cato? Only healthier and better, right? Even if the Warriors could pawn him off, I don't see any rationale in securing Jackson (like crispee pointed out) by signing him to a 6 year deal. Hell, even if they do sign him to just play him this year, who are they going to trade him for next year? Certainly not a better center... see how this is circular? :D

Marc Jackson will be a Rocket. Nothing else makes sense.

5. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

What would stop the Knicks or Warriors from making a nice offer to the Bulls to help them in their three-way deal instead of the Rockets?

6. The Voice of Reason

WOW,

I didnt think it would happen. finally there is a player that i am weilling to put on my ignore list. i really didnt think it could happen, but thus far BTM has had nothing of merit to post.

and if this falls apart, which we all knew from the begining it could.. i will be pissed, and i will feel bad for Houstone for loosing his left nut

peace

7. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Is there some way we could do a 3-way trade to get Ward and Jackson?

Ward might be a tad overpriced at 5 mill or so per year, but he'd be a great backup PG, and yes a better one than Moochie.

Ward plays defense that Moochie could wish he could play on Playstation 2. Ward also can nail the open 3.

Obviously, I'd want to unload Walt and change (2nd round picks?) to pull this off.

8. Achebe

I'd rather do without Ward. He'd tell everyone to forget about Dream, since he's going to hell anyway.

9. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

Why in God's name would charity want Houstone's left nut?!

n/m, i don't want to hear the replies from you twisted guys :D

10. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I'd rather have Ward than Moochie and his dad, err Fegan.

Ward is 2X's the PG that Moochie is. He also has playoff experience, something none of the Rockets really have except for Rice.

11. driver8

driver8 Contributing Member

Achebe

Not even. Dampier has been hurt just as much, or even more than Cato. That's why this deal doesn't make much sense, unless NY really, really wants to get rid of Ward (like the Warriors really, really wanted to get rid of Spree).

12. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Ward might be a tad overpriced at 5 mill or so per year, but he'd be a great backup PG, and yes a better one than Moochie.

What in the hell are you talking about? Ward's defense is average, at best, and so is his shooting. He can't break down the defenses, isn't near the playmaker Moochie is, and definitely doesn't fit in team chemistry as well. Want playoff experience? Sign Bill Wennington, he has just as much. I'd pay Moochie 7 million before I traded for Ward at 5 million per season. Those two aren't even in the same neighborhood...

13. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Am I the only one who thinks Ward is a better value than Damp. Damp has a better ethic (I think) than Cato, but is even more injury prone. To me they (Damp/Cato) are very comparable for the money, take that for what it is worth. Thus if I am the Warriors I would much rather have a disgrunted pouty Marc J at 1/2 the price for 6 years than Dampier, again, if someone will take Dampier given his brittleness and contract. Marc J wouldn't be happy, but what are his options other than making the best of situation if he is stuck playing with the Warriors. France for a year and then hoping the Warriors trade him? The way I see it is any youngish NBA center that is marginal starter (I think Marc J is a little better than this) is a bargain at a contract like 6/22--I can see the Warriors not wanting to lose Jackson and his valuable contract for nothing.

What Warriorsworld did not clearly display was the Mookie/Cummings package cost them Jason Terry, when they were a team desperate for both a PG and a shooter (Terry was one of the few young players who seems to fit both). I am hoping he is right though (that we end up with Marc J), and don't mind if we need to grease the deal a little.

Swoopa, Wworld, etc., have ya'll be trying to dump Damp and get a PG this offseason. In seems to me ya'll have the guards ya'll already want and would rather get rid of a veteran (Moookie, Sura) than add another vet (Ward) even if the last move allows you to keep Marc J and get rid of Damp. Thoughts?

14. Swopa

Swopa Contributing Member

For what it's worth, Jason Terry isn't a PG -- when Atlanta tried playing him there, he wound up benched behind Bimbo Coles his rookie year, and Matt Maloney his second year.

And no, GS hasn't shown any interest in adding any veteran guards -- including draft picks Richardson and Arenas, they have 6 under contract now, and only plan to carry 5 on the active roster.

To back up what Warriorsworld has said, these NY rumors really fly in the face of everything we're hearing in the Bay Area. Last weekend, Bay Rock posted about GS staff dissing Jackson, and I posted earlier today what a local beat writer said on local radio last night.

And just a couple of hours ago, coach Dave Cowens was on the radio saying about Jackson something to the effect of "the fact that he might not want to play here will be a big part of our decision in what we want to do with him." That sounds a lot more like a kiss-off than a hint they'll trade away a current starter to open a frontcourt spot for him.

Cowens also said the Warriors will be playing a lot of full-court pressure defense this year. To do that requires a shot-blocking C as the last line of defense -- which Jackson isn't.

And as crispee noted, acquiring Ward doesn't significantly lower the Warriors' payroll -- in fact, in combination with matching the Rockets' offer to Jackson, the GS payroll would increase by at least $2.5M for the next three years.

So the rumored deals would be a loss for Houston, a loss for Golden State ... and a win for the Knicks. Where is it the rumors are coming from again? Ohh, yeah, that's right. :)

#54 Swopa, Oct 2, 2001
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2001
  15. warriorsworld

warriorsworld Member

Yes, I wasn't clear we did lose Terry which seemed ok for the first 2 seasons since Vonteego looked like the better player. One Atlanta moved Terry back to SG from PG, he had a break out season, but supposedly they were thinking of moving him back. So with Vonteego completely collapsing last year after breaking his cheakbone, the Terry deal looks bad.

Dampier, I hate that guy, seriously, what Cato said could have just as easily come out of Dampier's mouth, if the guy ever bothered to talk. Dampier does look healthy, and we need the big body in the paint, so I would say, for now, keep him.

Jackson, it would be nice to get something for him, but personally, I wouldn't want him for a long term contract, he had 1/2 a good season on a terrible team, to me that doesn't translate into a long contract.

Guards, we don't need anymore guards, I would rather take a chance on a Mookie/Hughes/Arenas PG with Hughes/Richardson/Mills Sg than throw a mediocre and long term contracted Ward in the mix.

16. Desert Scar

Oh, to me it makes no sense to think of Ward as a Rocket. 1) we don't want a guard who thinks he should get heavy minutes. 2) we are the one's trying to get Marc Jackson for next to nothing. If anything we have to give players to insure it gets done, not acquire another one in the process of any 3-way trade (whether it is a pipe dream like Forston or even Ward--the latter of whom could be useful for a few teams but we are not one of them).

I wan't Moochie to sign here but even w/o him we will not be hurting that much at the 1. Moochie, or any other vet 1, is a luxury <i> compared </i> to the importance of getting PF/C help (Marc J). And Marc J can't be traded for, he is either our FA or GS matches and keeps him, there are no 3 ways with him involved but perhaps we could grease another trade for GS to lay off Marc J--that is the extent of our potential negotiations with the GSW.

17. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Not that I am Jewish but I really didn't like those comments Ward made about Jews last year as well. Horrible character.

18. Desert Scar

Thanks Warrior guys. For what is worth I really like the Arenas pick. He was better than Jefferson all last season until the Illinios guy slammed him late in the semis if I recall. Arenas has great athletic ability and good scoring instincts--he was the center of the Arizona team. He will need to get stronger and learn a PG mentality, the latter will really determine how good he can be. Plenty of great smallish guards couldn't do it (Childress, Respert, Tyler), but Arenas was defintely worth a chance and as he is around some vets and some other talented young guards it would seem to me the right environment for him to be pushed to get better.

I know Jason Terry has been playing a 2, but I think that is more a product of Atlanta trying to best use their personel. I think over the long term he will be a one that can score, or a 2 who shares a lot of PG duties (penetration on offense, guarding opponents 1s), I don't think the distinction is particularly important. Regardless, his shooting and penitration ability would have been a really nice compliment to the other Warriors.

19. Achebe

No, that was Loren Woods.

20. Desert Scar

I said --center of-- not center <i> on </i>, Chebe you smarty pants.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.