1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Horrible Developments Coming Our way

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oeilpere, Oct 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

What don't you want to see when you open 'Game Action and Roster Moves'?

Could it be a thread by oeilpere with the word 'horrible' in its title? :(

We need some CD magic.

2. AT

AT Member

He's saying they'll trade one of their other centers to NY.

They'll keep Jackson.

3. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I mis-read the Chron. What I meant was that GS will likely trade one of its centers to make room for MJ and just match what we offered him. They get a good center fairly cheaply. He may not like it, but it is likely the best decision for GS, even if it totally and completely blows for us and probably MJ as well.

4. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

The ironic thing is that the Warriors and their fans were all over Marc Jackson calling him a defensive liability and wondering out loud if he wasn't to outspoken, now they plan on keeping him. How is Marc going to respond to that after they were all over him and he was all over them? And I know people say money talks, but they would have him for 24 million dollars over 6 years and he doesn't want to be there. If it were more money I could understand, but how would MJ feel getting the same amount of money staying with a team he says he doesn't like? This should be interesting. . .

5. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

If we can find a third team to get involved, we could still have the inside track on getting Jackson. If they truely are interested in moving Fortson, then why don't we offer Walt/Moochie(@$4 mill) for Sura/Fortson? They drop $9.3 mill & take back $9 mill. At the end of the year, Walt's contract expires & they end up dropping $5.3 mill in overall salary. Moochie's stats are almost identical to Ward's, with the exception of their 3 point shooting.

In the NY deal, they would have to receive equal dollars, because NY has no expiring contracts, no trade exceptions, & no cap room. Then, GS would take on an additional $3.25 mill in salary with Jackson's contract. Unless there is a third team involved, that deal does nothing more than swap position players. It makes no sense to me. We can offer the better deal.

However, Indiana could be a whole lotta trouble.

6. enbehay

enbehay Member

Would GS trade Dampier to us for Cato and/or a Moochie S&T?

7. warriorsworld

warriorsworld Member

The Warriors are NOT trading for Charlie Ward.

I would rather the Warriors Don't match for Jackson, and say the Rockets buy St. Jean a beer, than have the Warriors trade with New York.

Fortson for Ward? I laughed so hard I fell out of my chair.

Sounds like more Peter Vescey nonsense. The Nicks seem to want to try to make it look like someone Actually Wants Ward.

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I can't even say I'm suprised - for years the warriors have consistently proven to be the most pathetic sports franchise anywhere, including the paper clips. It is only logical for them to defy logic yet again.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

For some reason, I don't think it is probable that this bad scenario will come true. Marc Jackson clearly doesn't want to play for Golden State; he said he wants to play for the Rockets. How much sense does it make to force a player to stay? Not so much, unless they can afford to give him A LOT more money...

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Another thing,

this still falls back to

Article XI, Section 6.L "Restriceted Free Agency"

That statement is SOOOOO straightforward that I cannot give ANY of the rumors ANY credit.

The purpose to this clause is that an offer sheet can only be matched. If Marc's team wants to deal him, they have to do it before the offer sheet. ROFR is not supposed to include desparation side trades....but who knows....this is the Knicks we are talking about.

11. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

But if, say, New York traded GS Ward for Dampier, or whatever, and then GS decided to match our offer to Jackson...what proof would there be that the trade was done to influence Golden State to utilize their right of first refusal?

12. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

It sounds to me like GSW may plan to trade Dampier to keep and play Marc J at center. Smart move for them IF (big if) someone will take on Dampier given his contract (similar to Cato's) and brittleness.

If I am the Knicks, do I really want to trade my best PG (even if he is a slightly below average starting one) for a brittle overpaid center. I am not sure. Now if GS would take Eisley (decent but overpaid pure back-up PG) or Mark J (washed up) for Damp, that seems more in the ball park.

Let us hope the Knicks nor anyone else want Damp. Meanwhile we should be talking with GS. If it takes losing Moochie or Walt for Sura to secure Marc J I do it in a second.

13. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Now Fortson would solve our rebounding problems, please let this happen!!!

14. RocksMillenium

Fortson would also solve our low post scoring, he is an underrated scorer.

I'd love to believe you and think this is nonsense, but people on the inside outside of Vescey's ramblings say there is something to this. If not Ward someone. Why the Warriors would want to keep someone who doesn't want to be there and is considered a defensive liability I don't know. They cut some payroll and pick up someone who could be a disruption since they're forcing him to stay. Just let Jackson walk, geez.

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I am not going to address a Ward for Dampier trade for GS to keep a disgruntled Marc Jackson FOR SIX YEARS who doesn't want to be there.

also exactly who is this third team that is going to provide a trade exception or cap room to allow GS to move salary to NY. 3-way or not, purging salary only occurs when one team is eating it....Salary is like energy...it cannot be destroyed. so, what team is eating it?

Y'all can argue that one....I mean, what else is there? All we have is camp to talk about.

#35 heypartner, Oct 2, 2001
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2001
  16. enbehay

enbehay Member

Thanks, Crispee. We can rest a little easier now. I'm not a Jackson fan, but we do need another big body.

17. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I have lots of faith and confidence in pops, but I sure hope that this is a rumor and that us losing Jackson will not happen. However, if we do lose Jackson, it reminds me of the Damon Stoudamire fiasco (although I'm glad we don't have him). I want to know 2 things:

1) Why would the Warriors want to keep someone who obviously has made it known that he doesn't want to play there?

2) Why is it that I get the feeling that this could happen just to f*** the Rockets over? Just like in the Stoudamire situation, it's almost like there are teams out there that can't stand to see us be any good, so they want to screw us at all costs, even with deals that don't make a lick of damn sense!:mad:

18. RocksMillenium

Well it's not going to be easy to talk about camp when we're on the verge of losing our starting PF/C, and this could possibly affect our entire season and cost us a playoff berth.

19. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

Could we try to steal the bait from New York, a la taking Ward? What about Indiana, though..

I dont know, Ward for Dampier or Fortson is pretty zero-sided.

CBFC

20. Thanos

Thanos Member

The warriors have been known to make incredibly stupid personnel moves in the past, so i woudnt doubt any of this madness (including trading fortson) considering the source.

They have made dumber moves in the past. Bet on their logic at your own peril. ;)

Even the clips have been wiser when it comes to roster moves.

Webber. Gugliotta. Sprewell. Mullin. Hardaway. Picking Joe Smith with the #1 pick. The list goes on and on....

#40 Thanos, Oct 2, 2001
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2001
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.