1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Heroes [Season 3]

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ChrisBosh, Sep 21, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Moving faster than light only enables you to move backward not forward. It is unidirectional.

This is a plot hole, and a very large one.

I assume they just figured most people wouldn't have 'paid attention in high school' as Parkman put it.

It is clear that the current group of writers isn’t big on setting 'the rules' of a different reality and adhering to them as if they were real. I would say that this is probably more faithful to the way that comic books work, but it does impede maximum enjoyment for me.

It is probably the most common writer's mistake for people who are not used to science fiction or speculative fiction or whatever you want to call it. To suspend disbelief, I need to feel that the rules of the universe in which the heros live are as real and fixed as the rules of the universe in which I live - obviously different and less restrictive, but just as real and fixed. For most writers, the power to go outside the rules of reality makes them think that there should be no limits or rules on what is possible whatsoever, which is a mistake.

#481 Ottomaton, Dec 16, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  2. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

This is something that is very interesting to me... I will admit I am not a science fiction fan. It was my understanding from what they said in the show was what I said in the post. That because she could go faster then she could time travel.

Is this common knowledge? That the theory is that you can only go backwards if you can travel faster than light?

3. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

4. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

yeah thats why i brought it up in my initial post there should have been no way for daphne to come back to the present without actually having "lived" through those 16 years.

5. Hayesfan

Thanks for educating the pleb! ;)

6. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

oops, i guess conjuring fireballs in the palm of your hand is a big loophole as well

its fiction, christ

7. Nero

Nero Member

Well, if you want to get technical about it, going back in *time* would leave you out in the void of space, since the Earth is not a stationary object, but is instead hurtling through the void as well as spinning on its axis.

Therefore, any kind of time-travel automatically carries with it a suspension of disbelief, or at least a suspension of a knowledge of science and physics.

The only way that something like that could be 'reasonably' explained would be something more along the lines of mysticism rather than science.

So for the purposes of the television show, Daphne's supercharged power allows her to simply step *outside* the normal flow of time, rather than traveling along its regular path. Thus, she is able to step out and back in at the exact point in time and space that she desires.

It doesn't matter so much whether the 'rules' of this kind of fiction adhere to our own everyday rules, but whether those rules adhere to themselves as established.

8. Nero

Nero Member

Ok, time for an accounting:

Who is alive and who is dead and gone now?

Dead:

Arthur
    Fear dude
    Puppet dude
    Elle
    Super Marine
    Iron hands
    Voodoo African dude
    Jessica/Nikki

Who else?

Still alive:
    Nathan
    Traci
    Peter
    Mama
    Claire
    HRG
    Doh!-hinder
    Maya
    Haitian
    Parkman
    Daphne
    Hiro
    Ando
    Micah

Who else?

Unknown:

Sylar (doubtful he is dead, most likely still alive somehow)
    Claire's fire mom
    Stupid bald fire bro

Will be interesting to see how the next line will go.. Mohinder will play a major part, as he is not one of the ones being targeted by Nathan and Worfbama, but he seems healed, *and* was completely doused in the 'activated' formula, which means there is really no telling what the writers will decide to do with him.

And if this all takes a kind of X-Men turn, ok, well, that's fine, I like the X-Men :)

9. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Contributing Member

Mark me down as another one who's starting to turn on the show. Last night's episode was weak. I mean come on, how the heck did Nathan become such a "villain" so quickly?

10. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

Incorrect, because she is still physically connected to and moving along the surface of the Earth. You are discussing some hypothetical form of instantaneous point-to-point time travel which is not the mode of travel for Daphne.

And even then, there is no such thing as an absolute frame of reference when discussing relativity issues.

#490 Ottomaton, Dec 16, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  11. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

Eh I'll probably still watch the next "Fugitives" volume, I don't go in expecting much anyway.

12. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

That was like 16 years ago. I cant remember what my teachers looked like 16 years ago. Hell I cant remember what I had for breakfast

13. J.Will.Xu

J.Will.Xu Member

I thought he didn't die or wasn't killed by Authur,at the end of that episode,he showed up at the Manhattan loft and stared right at Parkman and Daphne.Is that the real man walking alive or just an image created by Parkman himself and only visible to him alone just like what Parkman's father did for gathering all of these guys to work for Authur and his Pinehearst.

Still in the dark,not a clue.Leave heaps of unsolved enigmas for us to follow the show.I'll watch the next season 'Fugitives'.Wish it's a worth watching show then.

14. Hayesfan

I have dead news...

puppet dude not dead

15. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

It was probably a vision of some kind. Arthur ripped his head off of his body. He's dead.

16. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

I don't see how you can be fastidious about the laws of physics as far as Heroes is concerned. Of all the theoretical impossibilities this show has paraded for months on end, this is easily one of the most insignificant.

17. J.Will.Xu

J.Will.Xu Member

Seriously,what kinda power he has?Just seeing the future in his mind like Angela does?

I mean,theoretically,If he has the power like Hiro owns,time travel,maybe the one Authur ripped off the head of is the guy he brought back from the past then he just got himself holed up somewhere and came back until the timing is right. :p Just some whimsical imaginings.

Hope he's alive.Right now,with alot of roles dead in the show,the ability to paint the future seems lost cept Sylar and Angela could foresee the future.

BTW,another one question that haunts me is Hiro went back to where it all began 16 years before and stole the formula tryin' to destroy it,but Daphne came in the nick of time to get him back,with two pieces of Formula left in the past.That means it's Hiro who sliced the formula into 2 pieces and then his farther didn't recognize it was his son who try to stole the formula when his son all grown up?

Although it was 16 years back,I think somebody wouldn't wipe out that part of his memory because something he needed to guard and protect was in peril. :confused:

It's the same timeline.Is it possible,I couldn't help but thinking,the movie 'Deja Vu' or 'Frequency' did it as well.Saving the past could change the same future you live in.Does that theory prevail? :confused:

18. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

It does look like Heroes is trying to reboot in mid-season. When dealing with a continuous series, time travel is a big no no. A single movie or two can easily get away with it. It would be nice if they would do away with it permanently.

Im not big on the whole Issac mendez comic book story thing either. That seemed to pop back up out of no where. I don't like the ability to predict the future if someone can change it. I do like the idea of a short term future prediction like in the movie Next.

19. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

I believe that the next volume will move away from the save the world aspect that the 1st three volumes were about. Quite frankly, I'm looking forward to it

20. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

This show has become pure garbage, and I was not a hater until this season. I couldn't stand people saying this show sucked, but its time to face reality and accept that this show is only watched because of its potential.

The only way I see this show getting any better is by firing the whole writing cast and hire some people with some brains.