1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hayes, Rockets Reach Agreement

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by #1draftpik, Jul 31, 2007.

1. H-TownBBall

H-TownBBall Member

This is what Morey's "moneyball" is all about. Probably the most important stat to Morey is wins generated or win share. Having Hayes in the lineup adds wins to our total. Then you can do wins divided by $ per year and you get a good idea of the relative value of each player. Hayes is a value pickup contract-wise just like Francis and Scola. Morey's astute cap management is going to keep us relevant for years to come.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Chuck is exactly the kind of player you want to keep on the roster. His energy is infectious, he gives you solid defense and rebounding, he forces turnovers, and he's very efficient on offense.

Thank god our GM understands this. It's pretty simple stuff, but I'm amazed how many fans on this board can't grasp it.

Oh, and ChrisBosh -- Chuck outplayed your namesake last season in Toronto. Didn't catch that game?

3. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

My boy had plantar fasciitis, which is what Tim Duncan had a few years ago, probably his worst year in the NBA....

Please don't even put those two names in the same sentence :D Chris Bosh would eat Hayes alive in every single category there is…….. please…………….LOL don't know what you been smoking....

4. AXG

AXG Member

I hope Chuck hurries up and "officially" signs already. We've been hearing the same information the past two weeks about him coming to an agreement with the Rockets. I hope he isn't demanding too much money to play for Houston.

5. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

If you had watched the games you would know that Hayes had absolutely nothing to do with Boozer going off on us. Yao couldn't guard either Boozer or Okur, but we kept him on Boozer, and he torched us. When Hayes was on Boozer he held him in check. Hayes also kept Okur out of rhythm for nearly the whole series.

Not to mention that without the crucial charge drawn by Hayes at the end of game 5, we would have been toast after game 6. Juwan, with his so called ability to make a jumpshot (ha ha) was a much bigger liability than Hayes.

6. BBall Scientist

No, but if it's true that he signed starting at $1,600,000 then figuring the raises for a player re-signing with his own team, it would be something like this:

Year 1: $1,600,000
    Year 2: $1,768,000
    Year 3: $1,936,000
    Year 4: $2,104,000

Total: 4 years $7,408,000

It's just about equal money to Scola ($7,452,000), but one less year. Or another way to look at it, it's $1,852,000 a year, which is slightly more than the LLE which starts at $1,830,000. But the LLE is only for 2 years.

So basically it's more than double an LLE deal and overall similar money to Scola, but still less (probably because Scola will be the starter.)

I have a hard time thinking any team offered Hayes $7,400,000 so it is a good deal for him if that starting figure is accurate.

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Thanks. If that's how it breaks down, I think it's very reasonable. A bargain, even.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Feigan reported that Morey was offering an incentive-laden contract. So, Chuck may end up earning quite a bit more than the base salary.

9. pacman

pacman Member

Agreed. He is a very tough player. One important thing he also adds is the ability to take the charge. I think one of the main factors why we were the top defensive team, aside from the shotblocking, was because of Hayes and Battier because of their ability to take the charge. Taking the charge is one of the effective ways of shutting down penetration. With both Battier and Hayes on the floor , it is inevitable that a charging call is going to be called. Hayes is small and undersized at his position but he has the heart of a champion.

10. bfunw

bfunw Contributing Member

Hmm...I think Chuck undersold....Well, welcome Hayes!!

11. pacman

pacman Member

Yes. I think the idea was for Hayes and Battier to slow down the players penetrating into the lane by taking the charge and then Yao would help out with the block. Yao had a lot of blocks in this setup , I can remember vividly how he effortlessly blocked Arenas after Hayes ( or battier) tried to take the charge. On the other hand, this set up ( where Yao tries to block the shot after Hayes or battier take the charge ) sort of backfired on us in the Clippers game when Tim Thomas came barrelling through... Hayes tried to take the charge and Yao tried to block it but unfortunately we all knew what happened.

12. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm not going to bother with correcting you on your mistakes. Bimathug did an excellent job at that, but what I do want to say this because I think it's a point worth making:

Starting everything you say with LOL (so as we all know you think the point you're arguing against is absurd) and then proceeding to spout pure opinion without even attempting to offer any supporting evidence whatsoever is not going to prove any sort of point or garner any respect around here. That kind of debate tactic might work at recess, but, around here, we appreciate well reasoned points backed by something at least resembling supporting evidence. You've been on this board about a year. You should know this by now.

p.s.

LOL! EVERYTHING YOU SAID IS RIDICULOUS! WHERE ARE YOU PULLING THIS STUFF FROM?!?!

13. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Scola signed a 3 year deal starting at just over $3M, right?

14. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

Chuck is still young, so he can still get better. He also will do well in Adelman's system. He scored a lot of point cutting to the basket and laying it in with a TMAC assist. With Adelman, he'll cut even more, and more players will look for him and he'll punish other teams for collapsing on Yao, Tmac or Francis.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

My guess is that the last year will be a team option. A good signing. Great guy to have on the bench. We know what he can do, and perhaps he'll improve. However, we still have too many freakin' players under contract, or that expect (or hope) to be signed. We have to cut the roster. Making a 2 or 3 for 1 deal to improve the roster would be outstanding.

#95 Deckard, Aug 2, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  16. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

He got the low end of what I thought, probably for the extra year or two security he took less initially.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=3055292

I like it for both the player and team. Under 2 mil a year is excellent for a rotation PF. Heck, that is less than VSpan last year, or Snyder or Jackie Butler. If we got a team option on year 4 freaken brilliant contract.

17. SupermanSK

SupermanSK Contributing Member

Forget about freethrows and jumpers and his screwed up release......I hope he worked on layup drills this offseason. Even Otis Thorpe could make a layup.

18. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Chuck Hayes has the highest rate of coverting close shots on the whole roster and decent handles for a PF. I don't know where your comments are coming from. FTs and jumpers are exactly where he can expand his game, where is below medicore but not atrocious (Jeff Foster, Ben Wallace, Kel Cato like), but I am not holding my breadth for grand improvement there, I think Hayes is mostly what he is going to be.

As for OT, he was a terrific finisher. He would be the best on the whole team today. Hayes not being OT caliber around the rim is like saying Head needs to work on being a Reggie Miller caliber shooter.

19. d.wang

d.wang Member

Wow, that's very cheap for a serviceable backup pf... :p

20. brando

brando Member

Chuck Hayes has the highest rate of coverting close shots on the whole roster and decent handles for a PF. I don't know where your comments are coming from. FTs and jumpers are exactly where he can expand his game, where is below medicore but not atrocious (Jeff Foster, Ben Wallace, Kel Cato like), but I am not holding my breadth for grand improvement there, I think Hayes is mostly what he is going to be. ps Thorp was the man and Chucky Brown was underrated.