1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hayes, Rockets Reach Agreement

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by #1draftpik, Jul 31, 2007.

1. yaofan07

yaofan07 Member

Wow such hating for Chucky...

1. He's probably our best Big-man defender, and definitely our best defender for guys that can just out-quick Yao (ie Boozer)
    2. He's got good BBall IQ, weakside help D, taking charges
    3. He's good in the pick and roll game, makes the right cuts, catches T-Mac's 60mph bullet passes
    4. He can pass fine for his role, its just that he never does because he's not a ball handler at all, but if he doesn't have a layup he always passes it back out
    5. No1 would argue that he can shoot, so way to go, 1 for 3 on your criticism

2. markus4040

markus4040 Member

Yeah, good to see chuck wagon back :)

3. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

LOL,

1. He's our best big man defender CAUSE WE HAVE NOBODY WHO IS COMPETENT!!!!...i am hoping Scola can fill that role.
    2. Good basketball I.Q....LOL, that's funny, I agree he aint as dumb as Swift, that does not mean he has a good basketball I.Q, don't know where you are pulling this crap from!
    3. Pick and Roll game: the guy misses layups......
    4. He can't pass worth a lick, don't know what you mean his "His Role", in adleman;s system everyone is gonna have to be able to pass.
    5. I am 3 out of 3.

IMHO :D

4. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

hayes is a very smart basketball player, i dont really see how you can think otherwise. THe guy always finds the soft spot in the defense and his defensive rotations are usually on the money. You can bash him for a lot of things, but not being smart on the court is just not one of them.

actually, hayes is a pretty decent passer. No, he isnt flashing behind the back passes but he certainly hasnt shown much to call him a "bad" passer.

again, you can bash hayes for a lot of things, but the couple mentioned above just seem like blind rantings of hate

5. Precision340

Precision340 Member

As long as he makes them my brother. Or if he misses, you know he's getting another shot because of a lane violation. :D

6. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

for someone that can't shoot, hayes has hurt alot of teams with his scoring. I remember teams leaving him wide open and him making a beeline for the basket. I also remember how ryan bowen couldn't do the same thing.

Hayes can't shoot but he can finish well enough to be dangerous

7. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

As I said that's just my opinion....from the games I saw the guy is a good rebounder at the NBA level, but all his other skills are at the NBDL level.

Actually I never made a statement about his I.Q until yaofan07 brought it up, I don't think his I.Q really matters, his game is lacking in so many other areas that it becomes a non-factor, the guy is undersized and is a tweener with no real position, we are in the Western conference with quality BIGS, this guy is a dime a dozen ...if it wasn't for his rebounding skills he wouldn't be in the league..... Giving him a four year contract is just silly.

I'm hating o him because I don't think we are going to win it all with him as one of our PF's. Scola is still an unknown, hopefully he can adjust to the NBA game, if he doesn't work out then all we got is Hayes, that's scary!!!!!!!!

8. RocketsFan11

RocketsFan11 Member

Good deal! I like the way Chuck plays. He's a perfect backup PF to bring some rebounding and hustle off the bench!

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

but you are also talking about a guy who started for a team that won 50+ games in the tough west conference and not having yao for a good portion of the season. Not all things make sense. Not all effective pfs have to be 6'10 with great shooting and athleticism. One thing we should have learned is that size, athletcisim, shooting, etc arent necessary for a basketball player to be effective.

10. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

I agree 100%, but there is a reason why scouts look for players w/ athleticism and size. The reason we won when Yao went out was because EVERYONE stepped up their game, hell we had people jump onto the J.Howard bandwagon, people wanted to trade him for D.Nowitzki, Mount Mutumbo played like he was in his 30's again, T-Mac made it appear like his back was okay.....there are a lot of reason's why we won. Hayes filled a role that this team needed badly, and that was as a rebounder, a hustle guy......BUT now we have a team, we have talent, plus we lost J.Howard....i just think we need a legit proven PF, Scola might be it, but if he isn't Hayes isn't going to help win in the playoffs, Boozer showed us what happens when you don't have a legit PF.....all I'm saying is that our PF position is an unknown, the only known quantity we have for that position is Hayes, and for me he just doesn't have the game to play more than 15 minutes a game.

11. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

While Hayes is by no means a world-beater, I have to disagree with you on most of your points.

1. Hayes is actually a VERY good post defender. He is very difficult to move on the low block. Opposing teams often get out of sync in their offense fruitlessly trying to post up their PF against the undersized Hayes. Of course, guys like Duncan and Nowitski and Marion/Stoudemire are going to "out-offense" Hayes's defense; but they'd do that against anyone in the league.

2. Hayes does have a high basketball I.Q. How else to explain him winning SEC Player of the Year while not even averaging 10 ppg at Kentucky? He plays smart and efficiently. He understands how the offense and defense are supposed to run. Sure, he can't shoot worth a lick, but at least he KNOWS he can't shoot a lick.

3. What games have you been watching??? Other than maybe T-Mac, no player on the Rockets was better last season at making layups in traffic. I actually remember several occasions where I would think, "How the heck did Hayes make that layup?!?!" He's got excellent hands and finishes well. How else do you explain his extremely high FG%? He didn't get that by shooting a high percentage from three-point land.

4. Hayes is a decent passer. Not great. Not terrible. I recall many more times that Hayes made a noteworthy smart pass than a noteworthy bad pass. Calling him a BAD passer simply cannot be backed up with enough empirical evidence (well, at least to convince me).

5. No, you're not.

I understand that you're not exactly overwhelmed by Hayes's talent level, especially given the offense talent on this roster (T-Mac, Yao, Francis, James, Bonzi, Scola, Head, etc.). However, Hayes has proven himself to be a good defensive role player. When a guy like Reggie Evans, who basically does EXACTLY the same things as Chuck, is getting 5 yrs., $23M, I would think that getting Chuck for 4 yrs. (and definitely less than that) would be a good thing.

Oh, well. I guess the world needs haters, too.

12. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

GREAT TO HAVE CHUCKY BACK IN THE ROSTERS. :D

13. rice

rice Contributing Member

it would've been perfect if our chucky was 3/4' taller...
    but such as life, it's a tad disappointing.

14. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Great post Bima!

Personally the only thing Chuck is missing is 3 inches. In just about everything else he is fantastic. All those 3 inches mean is that it is just slightly easier for PFs like duncan to shoot over him, but he usually makes up for it in other ways (e.g. rebounding or manning up on the block with his strength). He is the equivalent of a much stronger battier. Battier can shoot, but hayes has an uncanny ability to find himself under the basket, get the pass, and make outrageous layups in the equivalent of a low post mosh pit.

Handy player.

15. teetime

teetime Member

For the guys hatin on Hayes, would you rather have Ryan Bowan instead??

I didn't think so , therefore quit hatin on Hayes. He has strong points and some weakness, and play his "role" nicely. We can only afford a few superstars on the team, and we already have them.

Stop hatin on Hayes! He does what the team needs him to do , and do a fine job. That's why he's got an NBA contract and you don't so quit hatin :p

16. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What's the deal? How come we haven't heard about the dollar amount on this deal yet?

17. AMD

AMD Member

I'm not hatin on Hayes but yeah...I have complete faith that Landry can make contributions. I don't think Hayes sucks but I def think that Landry could have taken all his minutes by mid-season if not sooner.

18. Pringles

Pringles Member

1. he guarded elton brand quite well (except for one game he just exploded) he took care of jermain oneal. he plays the best defense anyone could ask for on the other elite players, but sometime they just make the tough fadeway. heck boozer, made fadeways over yao!!! (mostly cause of his high arch)
    2. some players whenever they get their offensive rebounds put it back themselve, no matter what situation. hayes, nos when to pass it back out, or put it back. thats the type of iq i need from hayes.
    3. he does not miss layups
    4. he can't pass? he was a good passer in kentucky. like hayesfan said, hes a great passer on the lead of a fast break. he passes very well off of a rebound to the guards.

also, scola isnt a good rebounder. hayes is. scola is a good ofensive player, hayes not. and to those who think we have to play 5 on 5, your wrong. look at detroit, when they won their championship, they won with ben wallace. spurs won with average centers.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

You guys can have any opinion you want about Chuck, but anyone who doesn't think he is an important part of the team should realize that Morey, the person whose opinion actually matters, disagree with you.

Morey is bringing him back for 4 years and explicitly said he considers Chuck a part of the "core."

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Does anyone know the exact details of Chuck's contract yet?

#80 durvasa, Aug 2, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2007