1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden is 100th in FG%........no more ball hoggin'

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by deb4rockets, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

.574 is an above average ts%, but nothing special

A lot of the guys you mentioned do other things, like play great defense, rebound, or have better assist-turnover ratios.

If your calling card is efficiency, it has to be higher than that.

Or you can't be one of the worst defenders in the league while averaging tons of turnovers.

2. Mr. Clutch

Another measure of efficiency is effective fg%, and Harden is below average this year

3. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

How would you rate Steph Curry if he shot 40%, with everything else being the same?

He would EASILY drop out of the 10-15 for me.

FG% may be simplistic, but shooting 40% is simply not cutting it if you're an all-star level player. I mean low nowadays is considered 42-43%.

4. MistaK

MistaK Member

Really comparing stock trading and basketball now?? Apples and Oranges m8. And FYI, I have traded in stocks in the past - and you are so right, I've probably done myself a huge disfavour making some sound investments :p

Now back on topic: of course the past doesn't guarantee the future but I do believe in the law of averages and Harden is a better shooter than what he has shown thus far. Also there is a big enough sample size that shows that he has had stretches in the past where he struggled and then bounced back with weeks of hot shooting. Nothing that makes me believe he can't do it again.

Also, contrary to popular belief on this board, Harden is not a chucker. If you can put points on the board and efficiently at that, whilst struggling from the field, well you are one hell of an offensive player. And in my opinion you let an offensive player like that do what he does best. Don't just look at his FG% and ignore his overall efficiency - that is not sound basketball.

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Right, first of all Harden is more efficient than all those guys even if they do something better.

The most important thing though is Harden DOES do something which those other guys don't do which is get 9.4 points per game at the FT line, and generate 10.8 fouls on the opponent. ON AVERAGE. Think about that for a second.

Not to mention only a handful of those guys average as many assists as he does and none of the guards or even small forwards on those lists grab as many rebounds as he does. Also, almost 2 steals per game.

If Harden were shooting say 47% from the field with nothing else different, he would be having a historical season by ALL TIME NBA standards. Is that what Harden needs to do to be considered "doing his job"? lol

What's even more hilarious is that the critics know he's had a slow start and his current performance is a notch below Harden's standards.

Bottom line:

28.5 points on 20 shots.
    6.8 assists/4.6 TO's
    6.2 rebounds

He's atrocious on defense. 30 out of 30 teams in the league would give him the absolute max based on his current level of performance.

Stop being silly guys. What's going to make you even more silly is that he is actually going to put up 45%+ for the rest of the season.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Harden is 8th in the league in Points Per Shot.

Only non big-men who are higher are Durant, Curry, and somewhat bizarrely, Lou Williams.

Dwight is higher, though mostly because he gets hack-a'd so much.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Don't you love how people can cherry pick stats to make a case?

PPS is because FTA are not counted as shots.

DD

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Thanks for the information ~ maybe you should start a thread revealing this recently-discovered truth.

9. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I think it's funnier when people choose to ignore relevant stats that don't fit the narrative of a player.

10. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

lol this is the funniest thread i have seen all year............people hating on harden who started the season slow and it is the only reason his field goal percentage is down.

last 2 games he has shot poorly, before that he had shot about 45 percent since the first 3 games of the season

Some fans just don't deserve a superstar

11. Mr. Clutch

Now this is what I call cherry picking.

Harden has has plenty of bad shooting games outside of the first 2 and last 2

12. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

So let's take out about 20% of the really bad (worst) games amongst all players and then do the comparison.

LOL

It is what it is. You can't say besides these games and besides those games. That is stupid.

13. kevtse

kevtse Member

Except the "skills" to get to the line 10 times a game, I agree that Harden is a mediocre player. (ok maybe little more than mediocre, but not one of the top offensive players for sure.)

However when you talk about stars who strive to get bettet each season, who do you have in your mind except Stephon Curry? Thers are mot many players who gained the star status would strive to get better each season.

14. t_mac1

What the hell are you talking about?

15. ibm

ibm Member

even IF it's just him starting the season slow... is there any reason for him to do that? and he's the leader of the team.

also, "look, he started slow last yr. or couple of yrs. ago, and we're just fine,,, so we will also be just fine this time" kinda thinking is,,, illogical or baseless,,, really...

16. ibm

ibm Member

it's hard, i imagine. it's really hard.

why do i need to get better each yr. when money isn't an issue and i feel like i am famous?

17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

So...what's your point?

18. t_mac1

You really need to watch more basketball if you have to ask that.

19. marky :)

marky :) Member

For all the criticism that has been mentioned a million times, saying he is not one of the best offensive players in the game is the most ridiculous.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think that depends upon what you consider relevant stats?

DD