1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    PACERS vs KNICKS Game 2: Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Government Motors running commercial during The Finals

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jopatmc, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I've come across that JD Power survey on several occasions and I don't seem to care. Word of mouth and personal experiences driving American rental cars go a long way.

I also hate SUVs. Plus, the big 3's neglect of the American sedan market in engine efficiency and brand improvement doesn't help either.

It's going to take 3-4 years to roll out models that will regain some traction in public attention. Or maybe I'm missing out on a bargain from my ignorance. Do you have your own personal experience to share?

#21 Invisible Fan, Jun 11, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

One of the way to increase sales of a product is to provide information about it in small, well structured presentations broadcast to large groups of people. "Taxpayers" who don't know how businesses or economies run make me want to puke, too.

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Your first mistake was assuming the people responding to your thread pay taxes.

4. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Yeah, I missed that part. I thought business was something the government shouldn't be involved in. After all, they have a tough enough time just governing properly. I thought business was to be kept in the private sector where competitive minds could work. I thought the economy worked through free competition and the law of supply and demand.

I guess you are right. I do not know how business is ran. I think I'll start studying Hugo Chavez and Saddam Hussein to find out how.

Genius.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I heard Obama wrote the ad copy himself, and Biden did the post-production editing - WHICH IS WHY IT WAS TEH SUCK AND DA DAM GUBMINT RUNNIN DA BIDNESS

6. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Whatever. Sure the ads are stupid and won't be effective, but it's not like it's real money anyway.

7. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

ditto.

8. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

WINNER

Isn't that the truth?

9. u851662

u851662 Contributing Member

Damned if they do, damned if they dont. Personally I enjoy the new GM ad. I think the OP is more interested in indirectly slamming the Obama administration.

Truth is, GM & Ford have really good vehicles, they just need to start working on public perception and quality of service. Maybe even a drastic step like Hyundai did years ago by offering the 10 years 100,000 mile warranty. Nothing says "I build a better product than the competition" than a warranty like that.

10. Major

Major Member

Clearly you don't know anything about how business is run, if you think the gov't was involved in any way in the decision to advertise on the NBA finals. That was a business decision made by business people. That's the way you think a business should be run, right?

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I guess someone forgot to tell GM that...

If a company is bailed out by the government, are they just supposed to seize all operations? And if they do, what exactly is the point of bailing them out? How does that benefit the taxpayers?

I guess AIG should stop selling insurance too. What better way to pay back the government loan than to stop doing business.

12. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

This thread is more epic fail than the OP's continued prediction of 100 losses for the Astros a year ago.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

come on guys

this is great news?

btw, I love the comments from the people who really act like they are the only ones paying taxes. nice

14. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

you're not a business man i assume.

15. SWTsig

so now that the government has saved GM, letting the business minds who work on the business side of running the company should NOT run like a business trying to increase sales but instead more like a government run program?

is this what you and jopatmc the business man are saying?

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Because Toyota, Honda, Kia, & Volkswagon don't advertise?

Advertising is very important, and I like some of their new commercials. What I don't like is them wasting money on commercials that involve elaborate setups to show just how strong their trucks are, though I enjoy those commercials. I actually am very happy with what GM is doing to return to glory.

17. SWTsig

exactly.

what chrysler did in those RIDICULOUS dodge ram "extreme obstacle course" commercials is asinine.

the new GM commercials are not.

18. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I am simply baffled by the OP's take on this. Thank you, internets.

19. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Or you could just read about how the Railroad, Aerospace and Nuclear Power industries were built and sustained: with billions of dollars of taxpayer money.

20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Liberals just can't understand. OP is completely right and I will run a 20 minute segment complaining about the ads on my show.

Signed,
    [​IMG]