1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

For those who want JVG back

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Nov 11, 2010.

?

Do you remember?

1. yes, give Rick - One More Night

45 vote(s)
    31.9%
  2. yes, we need a new coach - No Jacket required

47 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. no, but we need the Rox and coach to be living - seperate lives

9 vote(s)
    6.4%
  4. no, I don't care any more

40 vote(s)
    28.4%
  1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

are you saying we should start a platooning two head coaches. hmmm. maybe even during the game, based on who is doing better.

2. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Gundy had monumental playoff failures and Rockets set multiple embarrassing records with him on board.

Add to that that he cost Rockets Brandon Roy because of his inflated ego, all I have to say is....

Keep commentating!

It's something you are good at!

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

and when Kirilenko flopped FTW in Game 1.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"Jeff Van Gundy wanted untalented players"

=

I would love to here Jeff's reply to that nonsense...

5. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

The Nets among others offered him a coaching gig. He refused.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

tinman, you should dig up those "get riddy of rudy" threads.

8. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Dont want JVG back. Want Morey to get his act together and provide the coach with a team he can coach to his best abilities. This mix match of a large roster isnt it. Hope old coot pulls it together with his rotations but not counting on it with half a Yao and players who have no abilities but one or two things they do really well. Old coot has to coach his way out of it.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

JVG took two fragile stars both physically and mentally and turned them into peak performers. Yao was a softy that couldn't bang or rebound before Gundy worked on him, and T-mac was emotionally fragile (still is) but Gundy got him to play like a man possessed.

The only thing that stopped them from going further was the crap players they had as role players. They had junk around them, utter junk.

You give Gundy Brooks, Landry, Lowery, Scola which is what Adelman had, and he would have gotten a ring.

JVG is a much much better coach than RA. JVG took a crappy team to the NBA finals, and 8th seed. RicK Adelman couldn't win a title with multiple teams loaded with ridiculous talent and I think his teams have always underperformed.

22 game winstreak means he's a great coach? Yeah, that's what he has, because the Rockets and Kings never made it to the finals. And the Trailblazers despite having oodles, and I mean ridiculous oodles of talent at every position, couldn't even give the Bulls a run for their money.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

JVG=Peter Gabriel

11. PeppermintCandy

The Celtics made it work with Doc Rivers and Tom Thibodeau splitting offensive and defensive duties, though it was clear Rivers was the alpha dog.

Imagine if Adelman and van Gundy were to swallow their pride and work out a similar arrangement.

12. kovacs242

kovacs242 Member

Adelman would have his ring had Stern not rigged the W. conf finals. You give Gundy Brooks and Landry and he won't use them, because he hates offense only players. I think both are great coaches, maybe a bit unlucky, unlike Phil Jackson.

13. Mattj

Mattj Member

2004 Rockets were one of my favorite squads. They no showed for Game 7 in Dallas, but saying JVG "sucked" is pretty ignorant.

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

This kind of nonsense regarding Gundy I can't understand. Gee, I suppose Luther Head was a defensive stalwart when he was here? What about Tmac? Didn't Battier always say Tmac always expected him to defend the opponent's best guy on almost every possession? If that isn't the definition of offense only player what is? :rolleyes:

And what about Rick Adelman playing Jeffries and Hayes at the expense of Miller, Hill and especially PP, who hasn't seen 1 second of play in 7 games? Does that kind of behaviour strike you as being open minded to change and having a willingness to try new things?

15. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Agreed. JVG was not a fan of guys who didn't play defense or rookies. Some of you probably forget this, but would remember in a hurry when the lineup is scoring 70-80 points a night. That's why he's gone in the first place. The owner got bored and tired of watching his JVG-led teams trudge up and down the floor. Les wanted more scoring and entertainment from the Rockets.

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Apparently you remembered wrong.

Luther Head averaged 28.9 minutes per game his rookie year.

Chuck Hayes? 13.4 minutes per game. Hell even Aaron brooks got 11 mins of pt a game.

17. Dei

Dei Member

Always liked JVG and I do think a more hands-on coach would be more appropriate for this squad of young talents.

18. yao2kmart

yao2kmart Member

JVG Offense was bad because our roster was horrible back then with no good role players, Bring back JVG and this team will still score just as much but with excellent defense will be the difference.

19. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

No he would not have. Game 6 was poorly reffed, granted, but Adelman made some HUGE coaching blunders that series. His insistence on playing Doug Christie in Game 6 and 7, particularly late in both games, was one of the worst coaching playoff decisions I've ever seen. In both games, the Kobe literally left Christie wide open on defense and doubled up on Bibby. Meanwhile, Bobby Jackson was outplaying Christie in every facet of the game- he was defending Kobe better, shooting better offensively, and was much quicker than Christie. Perhaps it was some misguided sense of loyalty that led him to believe that Christie should have played the important minutes during that series, but Christie failed the team and in my humble opinion, single handedly cost them the series.

The second major personnel mistake he made is related closely to the above decision, namely, benching Jackson. Late in game 7 he had Christie, Turkoglu, Peja, and Bibby on the floor and the score was 98-99. No Jackson. Peja had no business being on the court with the way he'd been shooting, and to no one's surprise, he airballed a wide open 3 pointer. Luckily Shaq only hit one free throw and Bibby got fouled on the last play and hit both so that they could take it to OT.

20. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Seriously. Take some time and look at JVG's rosters, and tell me exactly how he has ever had as much talent as Rick Adelman to work with.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/HOU/2004.html
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/HOU/2005.html
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/HOU/2006.html
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/HOU/2007.html

JVG's teams always outperformed their talent, but ultimately disappointed Alexander because
    1) They were "boring" to watch, and
    2) They ultimately fell come playoff time to much more talented teams, notably the Utah Jazz.