1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Five seconds left on the clock who should have the ball Aaron or Kevin?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BEAT LA, Oct 16, 2010.

?

Who should have the ball with five seconds left in the game?

1. Kevin Martin.

100 vote(s)
    28.4%
  2. Aaron Brooks.

252 vote(s)
    71.6%
  1. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Andre Johnson.

Wait, wrong forum. :eek:

2. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

That's the point I'm trying to make. With less than 10 seconds it would either be an inbounds play or a transition play. Martin is better in these situations and he should have the ball. With almost a full shot clock, Brooks should have the ball.

See:
    2002 NBA Champions the Sacramento Kings
    2004 NBA Champions

#102 BEAT LA, Oct 17, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  3. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

but what kind of question is that? First of all, there's no true evidence that Kmart is better in that situation, unless you specifically look for who's won more games by scoring on a fastbreak with 5 seconds left, which is ridiculous to be so specific. Why not start a thread asking who would you rather have take the the last shot, if you need a layup made using only your right hand? would it be fair to say brooks, because he's "better" at it? No, because you cant really make that comparison between the two.

What exactly are we learning from this? What are we concluding? That if they happen to steal the ball on defense, when down or tied, and martin happens to be on the floor, that they should pass it to him? Oh and don't forget there has to be 4-5 seconds left because then he's more likely to make it.

I think we need to worry about what's going to happen more than once every 2-3 years.

5. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

5 seconds left on the clock, in the playoffs, if at all possible..

yao

;)

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Plus, the question was 5 secs, not 28. :grin: :grin:

7. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

In a last second situation, when the Rockets need to score Martin should be the person receiving the ball. Whether it's an inbounds pass, a cut to the basket, or a three pointer. He is more unselfish, and I trust him at the line more than Brooks.

Just because Brooks doesn't get the call doesn't mean Martin won't.

8. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

With five seconds left? With RA as coach?
    I hope it's the guy that's open...Hopefully down in the paint with Yao or Scola. Maybe Bud from downtown...? Brooks cutting, slashing passing, or dropping the three. Martin getting fouled or hitting the big shot.

If JVG was coach?
    I knew, you knew the Rockets knew, the other team knew, the fans knew, the refs knew, the announcer knew, the ball crew knew and the guy in the concession stands knew,.... That the Rockets would walk it up court, eat up every last second and dump it down to Yao, or Tracy would toss up a jumper from the parking lot.

Thank god those years are over, now I can see light at the end of the tunnel, even though I'm guessing where the ball will be. Good thing is, so will everyone else. :grin:

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i dont think you get what it means to have the ball in your hands with the game on the line and time runing out. It's already been said numerous times that hoping for a foul is not what you want. It rarely happens, if it does, you're usually named Lebron or Kobe. Free throw shooting is almost irrelevant, especially when they're both great at the line.

As for being unselfish, that's not of big importance either. Maybe if he was a play making PG you'd want that, but not a shooter/scorer. A shooter being "unselfish" in that situation translates to not wanting the ball or shot, and if you're the go to guy at that moment, you have to want to score that bucket. That's Aaron Brooks, not Kevin Martin.

10. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

Brooks does that sweet jumper he always makes in when the clock is winding down; you know the one where it seems like he's driving it in but he stops and pops.

ever since that one game he keeps on doing it .....

11. HoustonRockets

Brooks, only because his shot is prettier

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

Brooks can score in a lot of ways. He can make backdoor cuts, he can drive into the teeth of the defense and make a crazy layup, he can hit a three pointer while guarded, he can pull up for a mid-range jumper like Kobe does so much.

He's not as consistent as he needs to be yet, but he's getting better. Anybody who says "he just shoots threes" is seriously underestimating his game.

13. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/l65ajh8TUGU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/l65ajh8TUGU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I think a screen play for Kevin Martin is the best play. Defenders respect his shot more than any other Rockets player. He's so good at the pump fake, and if the defender plays him tight he will blow right past him for an easy shot/assist.

14. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

If we need a three Brooks obviously because he shoots better from downtown. if its a designed play? Martin. If it needs to be created quickly? Brooks. If we need someone to go to in the fourth? Martin for freethrows and creating fouls capabilities. If its for a post up and sure points? Maybe Yao.

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I'm not sure what else to say...you seem to have a different idea of who Kevin Martin is. That is a nice clip, but it's not showing what Martin can do in crunch time. In the majority of those clips the defense was lazy or simply didnt have a sense of urgency. All that changes in the last few seconds of the game. Any pro coach will park a defender in Martin's lap and tell him not to go anywhere.

In crunch time, defenders don't fear Martin as much as Brooks. They're not going to fear Steve Novak overr Lebron simply because they respect Novak's shot more. Brooks has proven himself in the clutch, while Martin has never had a rep for being clutch.

16. akiracy

akiracy Member

With 5 seconds left
    , We're gonna run a screen play for Martin, who will pump fake and blow by his man for an easy basket?

17. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

5 seconds is plenty of time to do that.

Say Martin's defender bites on the fake and the screen play fails, Martin can easily go around for the 18 foot jumper. If he doesn't fall for the fake I still trust Martin shooting a contested jumper rather than Brooks.

18. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

This thread is ridiculous.

lock this up!

19. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Dude, didn't you watch Brooks killing the Lakers the last time we faced them in the playoffs?

I was definitely not one of Brooks' biggest fan, but the little guy has shown he is damn good and clutch to boot.

IMO, Brooks is one of those guys for whom it matters not if the game is a regular season or a playoff event. My only beef with him is his defense, not really his fault because of his diminutive statute.

20. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Get the ball to Ish for the Dish ...