1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Five seconds left on the clock who should have the ball Aaron or Kevin?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BEAT LA, Oct 16, 2010.

?

Who should have the ball with five seconds left in the game?

1. Kevin Martin.

100 vote(s)
    28.4%
  2. Aaron Brooks.

252 vote(s)
    71.6%
  1. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

I've noticed Brooks likes to have the ball in his hands late in the game and especially during the last possession of the game. Aaron is the the smallest and the fastest player on the Rockets, while Martin is better at creating his own shot. Brooks is better at finding other players, but he tends to look for his own shot more often than not. Martin is taller and if he sees someone open, he has a better chance at completing the pass.

Who do you trust more with the ball in this situation?

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

AB has to have the ball he is the best player at creating his own shot or a shot for another guy, he is the only triple threat guy on the team.

DD

3. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

easy answer, AB.

kmart struggles to create a good shot for himself.

4. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Brooks is better at getting an open jumper, but Martin is better at creating a shot close to the rim.

I prefer Martin taking it inside over Brooks shooting a jumper.

5. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

AB. He's clutch and he thrives on pressure. Martin, though I like him a lot, isn't and doesn't. So far, at least.

6. DontTradeOswalt

Brooks because refs rarely call fouls late in the game

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Martin is not a go-to guy with the ball in his hands, Brooks is...

Martin plays off the ball, he does not have the game off the bounce.

DD

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The one with the largest penis, of course.

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

What? Martin doesn create anything for himself other than space to catch and shoot. Horrible thread, should be completely one-sided. Lee-Martin would be a closer matchup, and even then martin would come in second.

10. wikiwiki

wikiwiki Member

The purpose of Kevin Martin is to score a lot of points early in the game and in quarters, and get us in the bonus early in games and quarters. He has no purpose on last second shots, except for catch and shoot.

When he "makes his own shot" he's not really primarily caring about the shot going in, he's drawing the contact primarily, and secondarily trying to get the ball in the hoop. That's not something you want to do on the last possession of a game.

11. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

I don't think you've seen Kevin Martin play before he came to the Rockets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FegVx5ZvZw
    K-Mart was fouled by Duncan and he still managed to make it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pauKlO9NH-8
    I trust Martin more in transition, and off the inbound pass with 5 seconds left in the game.

With a full shot clock, Brooks should have the ball in his hands.

12. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Martin tends to fade in the 4th quarter and lacks the killer instinct.

Brooks is the only person on our team that's a stone cold assassin.

13. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I'm surprised you didnt' say Melo :rolleyes:.

But in all serious, it has to be Brooks. He's better off the dribble and making plays for others. Gimme Brooks.

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Martin seemed to shrivel at the end of games last year. I'm willing to keep an open mind about him, but I didn't like what I saw.

15. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Don't worry, Melo will take the last shot in Rockets red. ;)

Patience young grasshopper, patience.

16. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Martin sometimes can't create his own shot...so Brooks is the way to go with pick n roll.

17. RyanB

RyanB Member

AB for sure
    with all the critics though, i believe he has the best chance to win the game

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

You're delusional. Kevin Martin only gets by his man when he's got ok to worse lateral movement or when he catches him off-guard. In a last second situation the defender is highly unlikely not to be paying attention. Martin's likely to have an adequate defender who's strictly not going to give him space. The chances of him "creating" anything at that point are small.

You want to prove your point by using fastbreak last second highlights which almost never happen in the NBA. That's is not a set situation and even Battier could come up with something in that chaos. You've got guys scrambling, trying to think on the fly and more often than not play poor defense because of it. You also refer to shots he "created" off of movement, like catching the ball after getting a pick, making a cut, things like that. That is not creating a shot, it's creating an opening to get a pass. Moving to the right place without the ball. Just because he manages to score after that does not mean he's good at creating a one on one move in a last second situation.

If you would have simply asked who would we rather have taking a last second shot, then you'd have a better argument. You quickly threw away your credibility and the thread's value the moment you implied Kmart deserved the nod because he "creates" his own shot.

19. shioew

shioew Member

AB can drive the ball pretty well, and very clutch. other than Kevin,

who always struggles with creating shots. Kevin is a catch & shot type

player, Ab is the go-to guy on this team.

1 person likes this.
  20. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Looks like I'm in the minority on this one. I'd much rather give it to Martin. Brooks is undersized and is under more pressure to create separation for his shot. At 6-7, Martin can get his shot a lot easier, and is a black belt in drawing fouls on top of it. If he does get back his mojo and is also going to be attacking the basket as well, I give him the nod in a big way.

Brooks' effectiveness at the rim is iffy.

A fair argument is that Martin is not good at all kicking out to the open man when the double team comes.

I should mention: I'm picturing the team coming out of a timeout with only a few seconds left. Assuming Yao is setting a high pick to get the player open.

If we're coming up the length of the court, I'd agree that Brooks is the better man.

#20 emjohn, Oct 16, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2010