1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Five seconds left on the clock who should have the ball Aaron or Kevin?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BEAT LA, Oct 16, 2010.

?

Who should have the ball with five seconds left in the game?

1. Kevin Martin.

100 vote(s)
    28.4%
  2. Aaron Brooks.

252 vote(s)
    71.6%
  1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I cant remember the last time Brooks wasnt able to create space with the dribble in a one on one situation. Yes, he's undersized, but he overcomes that with his quickness, creating enough space where reach doesnt matter. Of course thats strictly out in the perimeter, but if his man insists on covering the shot, then brooks should easily go around him. In that case, if he's open it's a sure layup as he's got Jordan's hill's hands. If a big comes over to help, then someone else has to be open for a pass.

Give the ball to brooks and he either creates separation or gets it to an open man. Open shot either way. Only issue would be getting doubled early, but anyone would be stopped that way.

Give it to Martin and who knows what happens. Could be good or could be terrible, as in not even getting a shot off.

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I like Yao for three.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/74C3t-KmkYo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/74C3t-KmkYo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

3. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

When we first traded for him, I visited a few Kings boards to get a feel for what they thought of him and this was their biggest criticism. Seems that this has been an issue for Kmart his whole career. He just doesn't have the mentality to be the man down the stretch and disappears down in big moments.

It's fine though, since AB has those qualities in spades. I'd definitely want the ball in Brooks hands with five seconds left.

4. johnnydeezy1

johnnydeezy1 Member

for me brooks is the obvious choice. He is clutch and is better creating his own shot. Alot of people are saying kmart cant create his own shot, he can just not as good and consistently as aaron. Aaron has been clutch in college and in the nba. Kmart has a reputation for fading late in games.

5. J-Man

J-Man Member

6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Maybe you can run like a ray allen ish play for Martin.

Get him open for a jumpshot. That will work just as well as brook iso

7. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

Defintely Kevin Martin.

Brooks tends to over dribble and it's just tough for him to create his own shot. In fact I don't think he can create his own jumpshot. He only gets his shot off when he blows by his defender and the defense can't help. Plus Brooks' passing is very suspect and I don't trust him passing in crucial moments.

I trust Martin to either get a good look or drive in and get fouled.

But honestly, the clutchest player on our team is probably Ishmael Smith. He hit tons of game winners in college with his step back jumper.

8. Hball

Hball Member

This alone makes brooks better than martin in my opinion, refs tend to swallows their whitles at the end of games and you need a guy that can shoot over his defender effectively off the dribble.

which is why I don't understand why most people would give brooks over martin, when brooks has shown he has the ability to be the go-to down the stretch, where as martin has not.

9. plates300

plates300 Member

you're kidding right? If Brooks doesn't get by his defender, he has a sick step back jumper and his crossover isn't half bad either. Brooks is much better than Martin at creating his own shot.

10. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Lots of "Brooks can create his own shot" comments and I can't argue with that. Brooks certainly can create a shot unfortunately it seldom goes in. How many games did we lose last year with Brooks getting the last shot and driving to the rim and trying to finish over bigs?

On the flip side how many times did Brooks drive and dish to anyone for a potential game tying/winning shot? Usually Brooks is going to keep the ball and ends up forcing shots over big guys. Typically he isn't going to give up the ball.

Brooks reminds me of Steve Francis in the fact that he's more than willing to step up and take the last shot but neither one was ever very successful at it.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

WHAT?

Did you see the Boston game, did you see the Dallas game, did you see the Knicks game or the one against Memphis?

He had TONS of game winning shots......most of them after struggling early in the season, and not getting calls, so he learned to do the midrange and bomb from 3......he was NAILS...

Look on Youtube, AB was the MAN late....

DD

12. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

AB, AB knows how to create his own shot While Kevin struggles little bit of creating his own shot.

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i dont think you've seen brooks play in a year. He overdribbled his rookie year, that's a thing of the past. He's been great at pulling back on his dribble and drilling that step back jumper, not just driving by his man.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tos_PvTNhlY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tos_PvTNhlY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uSwCrZYw9Zk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uSwCrZYw9Zk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OxFxVSRIXPM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OxFxVSRIXPM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

14. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

I wonder if Kirk hinrich could create space like this :rolleyes:

15. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

I'm sorry but I have to ask this. What are his triple, threats?

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

To break it down into it's lowest form:

Shoot, pass, drive.

DD

17. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Don't care for the term, but (Brooks) 'hater' was meant for posters like you it seems.

18. nebula955

nebula955 Member

I'm not sure about this...Brooks can dribble better, sure, but there's nowhere he can go with it. If he's settling for a midrange I'd rather just have a Martin catch-and shoot...5 seconds isn't that long either to be honest.
    We already know from last year that Brooks driving is usually a fail even when he reaches somewhere near the hoop.

19. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

We're talking about last shot ("5 seconds on the clock"), right? And Brooks has tons of game winning shots? Ok what games?

He hit a game tying shot against Boston to send it to OT.

He hit a game winner against Denver.

In the win vs Dallas Brooks last basket came with 1:35 left to play.

In the Knicks game Battier hit the 3pointer with the score tied. Brooks last basket came with 56 seconds left and the Rockets already leading by 3.

That's one game winner at the end of the game. Where are the others? I'm assuming tons of game winners consists of more than one?

20. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

All those videos have one thing in common; they are all jumpers.

I doubt Brook's ability to drive it in late in the game. He doesn't have a problem beating his man, but he ends up taking a circus shot at the rim because he is too small to create enough space at the rim. Martin has the length to do so. He does a better job of absorbing contact and finding space to finish at the rim.