1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Favorite team besides the Rockets?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bigstinkyt, Nov 9, 2002.

1. SA Rocket

SA Rocket Contributing Member

From one old man to another....I have to disagree.

The Spurs have always been my second favorite team,especially since moving here from Katy. Besides,it's my only outlet for watching NBA'ers do their thing in person. But boy do I enjoy the Spurs getting bested by the Rockets. Most of the media here is so annoyingly arrogant and 'homerishly' pompous when it comes to the Spurs. And I like the Mavs because they're just plain exciting to watch,win or lose. Plus who wouldn't Cuban as an owner. Les is fine and good,but man if we could have Cubes as Rockets owner....

Bottom line for me......if the Rockets aren't in the playoffs or have been eliminated,I'm rootin' for Texas to win against anybody else! I hate for the Spurs or Mavs to have any bragging rights over the Rockets :mad: , but TEXAS IS TEXAS everyday of the week!:D

#21 SA Rocket, Nov 9, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2002
  2. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

The Pittsburgh Steelers. Just wait 'til they get ahold of the Texans next month:D .

I really have very little interest in any NBA game that doesn't involve the Rockets.

3. striker

striker Member

Spurs fan here but my second favorite team changes year to year, depending on whose playing a style I like. Right now you can't beat watching the Magic. TMac, Hill, and Armstrong are great together. Can't like Dallas even if they play entertaining ball because Cuban's trying to buy a championship, like Steinbrenner, and that's bad for everybody.

4. BALLhog 247 365

5. drapg

drapg Member

It used to be the 76ers and A.I. b/c of his gritty play (6'0" 150lbs, plays through pain and plays all out)

until...

"practice man, we talkin' about practice!"

now i despise the team and him (though I respect Larry Brown). I need to burn his jersey, which I bought during the 2000 NBA Finals.

6. zzhiggins

zzhiggins Member

I dont have any favorite teams other than the Rockets,,but I do watch alot of NBA games. The guy on Orlandos team that has impressed me is Pat Burke (what a find). BACK TO MARK CUBAN,,he seems to trade for most of his additions, Its Orlando that BOUGHT free agent Hill & McGrady........

7. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Favorite = Rockets - far and away

2nd Favorite = whoever is playing the Lakers or Jazz

In a neutral situation, I will "root" for:

Sacramento, NJ, Pistons, & Celtics. Being Texas teams, I will root for the Spurs and Mavs, but their fans (and Popovic & Cuban) make it really hard to like them...although the Mavs are fun to watch.

8. striker

striker Member

Agree Burk is a good pick-up and fits nicely with that team. Hill or MacGrady are tough match-ups but together they're deadly. They paly from the top, spread the floor, and everyone including Burk, Miller, and Garrity is a shooter. Then you have Hill, MacGrady and Armstrong in transition. Hill stays healthy and Kemp gets in some kind of shape and they'll be very dangerous in hte playoffs.

Cuban. Lewis is an example. He's willing to get players on an MLE with a wink promise to pay later. He could care less about the luxury tax. He'll keep doing that while other owners try to and need to maintain some fiscal responsibility.

9. zzhiggins

zzhiggins Member

Dallas is a fun second team to watch, because Cuban is trying to put the best SHOOTING team in the NBA together. Looked like he tried to get Rashard Lewis, to replace Greg Buckner (who was BOUGHT by another team)...But I hate defending him or the Mavs..just trying to set the record straight.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Your closet never had a door.:rolleyes:

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The Stealers are the most hated football team in Houston.:mad:

OK, back to basketball. I never quite understand why Dallas and SA are hated simply b/c they are in Texas. I like the Mavs b/c they are fun to watch. I like the Spurs b/c of Tim Duncan.

Back to football. I hate the Cowboys all my life. I guess it's b/c they are the in-state rivalry. Uh, wait. . . now I understand why people hate the Mavs and the Spurs. . . I'm confused.:confused:

12. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

I like Dallas and San Antonio, and I also like Memphis because I like Gasol and Gooden looks like the next Karl Malone. I wish they did not have Jason Williams though.

13. codell

codell Contributing Member

Personally, I have a hard time rooting for teams outside of this city because its too easy to be preceived as a bandwagon fan. I mean, in all seriousness, if Dallas and the Lakers were mediocre or below average, would yall still consider them one of your fav teams? Not that there is anything wrong with that. Id just rather put my stock in a team when they are bad and watch them grow. Satisfaction of watching them win later on will be that much greater.

Anyway, my answer to the thread question would be Memphis and more specifically, Pau Gasol. This team, 1-8 has talent, they just need a point guard (or for JWill to finally settle down on a regular basis) and a coach. Can anyone else besides me see Pat Riley as the next coach of the Grizz?

14. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Okay

Hey it was 2 in the morning and I was slightly inebriated... So let me rephrase my statement... I lived in New York and I loved going to Madison Square Garden and Watching the Knicks and the NBA and sometimes I would cheer for the Knicks because it is natural to go to, or watch a sporting event, and pick a team to root for... (I always like the underdog) but I never became a Knick's fan I always new my team was the Rockets...

I lived in San Antonio for more than a few years and I was there when they won there championship. And as exciting a time as it was in San Antonio... And while I was happy for David Robinson I was annoyed by all the hoopla in the streets and them winning a championship because I wanted it to be the Rockets... How quickly they forget how Olajuwon in his prime destroyed them... I love the game and even if the Rockets shutdown ( Never, never, never) I would still follow the game but it would not be the same... because I passionately root for the Rockets and no other team in any other sport do I do that for!

I am a believer in the Rockets and I only want whats best for them as a team. And it that means Stevie has the shoot the ball 50 times a game (I don't think so) or Rudy has to be fired (I don't think so) then do it. I root for the Rockets first as a team and then the players as individuals secondly... Another e.g.... There are alot of new people on this site and many of them have come on this site solely to root for Ming and that is great, because I too am a fan of Yao... But if what's best for the Rockets is for Yao ming sit the bench all year and even when he does get playing time to only play defense and never get any passes from Steve then so be it. Of course I don't believe this and I think when Yao is in there they absolutely have to pass him the ball, absolutely give him a chance to be good or bad but give him a chance...

So in Conclusion I am a big Rockets fan and any team that shows hate for my team I will hate back like the Celtics against moses and the twin towers... and the Jazz and the Spurs and the Lakers... I cannot root for those teams because they have in the passed been Rocket haters... So that's the way I see it and of course it's just my OPINION!

15. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

Gotta Love Divacs and how the Kings went from celler dweller to Challenging the World Champs. Vlade is classic.

I'd say after the Rockets, the teams I like the most are Philly and Washington (because let's face, we are all secretly rooting for Jordon).

It would be cool to see Orlando knock off L.A. and end it's run...poetic justice. The Grizz are just so talented and you know they are going to be awesome. Shane, Swift, Gasol, Drew, J-Williams, Dickerson, and Hill...man what a young great team. Once they learn to play together and mature, geez, watch out.

16. hoopgod13

hoopgod13 Contributing Member

Seattle. Love GP...and Brent Barry is the best player alive. Used to love GP and the ReignMan back in the day...but always wished the Rockets would kick their ass.

17. ebu

ebu Member

Of course its the Magic, since I live in Orlando.
    Getting to see every Magic is very exciting, especially with T-Mac, Armstrong with that hustle,(He blocked Rashard Lewis last night for crying out loud)Mike Miller and Pat Garrity with the shot and the returning HIll.
    NO wonder why they are 5-1.
    I do get dissapointed thought when I go to the magic-rocket games and the magic always win.
    I have never been to a Rocket-Magic game when the Rockets win, maybe it will be in January when they hook up again.
    I will be there

18. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

The Comets... ;)

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Um...I'd like to name an Eastern Conference team but they mostly suck.

Sacramento is the funnest team to watch.

20. red

red Contributing Member

University of Texas Longorns Basketball team...