1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Face it, steph curry in the new jordan

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by what, Jun 17, 2015.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I wish.....

He has hardware to back it up now. He is Top 6 IMO but not Top 3 best player

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

lol what a homer.

So if JH isn't drawing fouls and getting to the line, he drastically loses his effectiveness. outside of that he really isn't a standout anywhere else

that's how ridiculous you sound. it amazing how people can fail to be at least objective and recognize talent around the league if they're not in a houston uniform but hey I guess that's what homerism is.

3. rocketsmetalspd

True Curry does have mad skills in his game but to compare his to MJ, no way. Let's see how he does this season with the Warriors being the center of every team's bulls eye on their game calendar.

4. tnopham

tnopham Member

I think from an admiration level if he continues to win he'll be up there. Mainly because ordinary people can associate with Curry. He doesn't jump over people but can dribble around and shoot over you. These are things, especially kids can realistically see themselves doing. Everyone knows they'll never be as big or strong as Jordan, Kobe, or LeBron. But the least they can hope is to be able to shoot and dribble the the ball like Curry.

I truly feel this is why he's become so popular, especially with younger fans.

5. ibm

ibm Member

would you please define what's "right"?

6. MoonieMac10

MoonieMac10 Member

You're right, but the kids and media wont understand

7. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Bump for answers.

8. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Ray Allen.

9. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

I must have missed the Ray Allen MVP season. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Ray Allen fan, but cmon son.

10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Bro, I can tell from my recent interactions with you that you are kind of a simple person, and even if you bothered actually watching game, you clearly don't understand what is happening.

I never said Curry wasn't talented. He is extremely dangerous player, but he is nowhere near as well rounded as Harden. He is a shooter. Over 50% of his shots this offseason were from beyond the arc, compared to 35 or 36% for Harden. That was he does, thats who he is, a shooter. He cannot break through double teams or create the way Harden can.

If James Harden isn't getting to the line, he still can break down folks off the dribble, he still has his step back jumper, he still has a great transition game, and he also has a post up game.

11. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

If The taco bells skills champ was playing in the playoffs, people wouldn't even remember who this curry guy is

12. adobo

adobo Member

In b4 the Curry > Jordan or Curry is GOAT threads...

Here's a stat to start things off...look at the TS%

Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991:

1) 1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (around 60% TS)
    2) 2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
    3) 2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
    4) 1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
    5) 1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
    6) 2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
    7) 1993 Michael Jordan 10.3
    8) 2015 Lebron James 10.2 (51.7% TS)

13. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Mathew Delladova. I want you to rank where he is on the best NBA PG list.

14. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

No, he wasnt as good as Curry but it's a pretty fair comp nonetheless - he's the SG version of Steph. Similar to Steph, ray checks off all the wholesome qualities that drive Curry's popularity. You could argue Ray would be even more valuable in today's game because he never played in an uptempo drive and kick out league like there is now.

I think the point is still valid - Curry is really good but I don't think he's worlds better than Lebron, Durant, Anthony Davis, or Harden yet he is far far more popular than all the guys on that list(outside of LBJ). Steph's popularity is from him being a good player, but his overwhelming popularity is a product of his "blackness" being more palatable to a segment of the population that doesn't as readily warm up to black athletes. That's to say people who don't necessarily favor basketball are now tuning in just for Steph (SOF-Steph Only Fans).

15. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Just so I can get this 100% straight - your point is that RAY ALLEN is/was 'too black' for America to accept?

16. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

MJ? That might be stretch.

I'm still not even sure he is better than Westbrook.

17. DreamRun95

DreamRun95 Member

Steph Curry not as good as Isiah Thomas. Just putting it out there.

By the way is anyone else slightly annoyed by NBA players doing there little signature showboat after scoring? Like that Curry streaking with the three fingers behind him like wings, or Lebron james with the upside down three hand to one eye, even that Harden hand stirring motion. I might be mistaken but was showboating like this a big part of basketball in ages gone by?

18. qwertzy

qwertzy Member

this is probably the best joke I hear recently, he isn't even the best player in gsw

19. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

RE: Curry's light skin. It's no secret that much of the world favors lighter skinned people. I mean, in certain places skin bleaching is very popular and even on this bbs you see guys mentioning that they favor light skinned black women vs dark. It's not a shocking new thing. But, people aren't basing they're entire opinion of Steph on skin tone. It's just part of the package. What his skin looks like shouldn't matter but neither should his religion or marital status, but it does. That's life.

I've been watching basketball for 25 years and showboating is at an all time low. MJ used to wag his tongue, Deke used to wag his finger at people, Shawn Kemp shook a man's hand that he just dunked on, and players used to curse loud enough to hear on the telecast.

20. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Not at all. In response to a post about how Curry had the right family, how he met his wife, personality, his religious beliefs, etc(ie. how he perceived culturally) - you asked the question of who was similar and not near as popular. Ray Allen had a similar skill set and was generally a well spoken, PR friendly, laid back family guy(married his long time girlfriend) but he never was a particularly popular player. Part of that was that the 3pt wasn't as valued then as it is today. But you dont need to go back to Ray Allen to see the point of this post though - that was just a response to your question for a comp.

My point with Curry is that he is NOT like Jordan in his prime that he is miles better than everyone around him. Lebron, Durant, Anthony Davis, and Harden (some might even include Westbrook) are all in the same class as Curry and I think Lebron particularly is pretty clearly better than Curry(and everyone else). Despite this today Curry is overwhelmingly more popular than the rest of those guys - even the consensus Fan favorite from a year ago - Lebron. Like I said earlier, him being one of the best in the game make him a popular player but the fact that he is perceived to be more family oriented, suburban, and yes less black than the more common inner city players, I think is what makes him overwhelmingly popular. And before you go off on a rant, note that I didn't say because he has light skin he is more popular - I said because of his skin color AND a number of other cultural stereotypes he does/doesn't fit into, he is overwhelmingly more popular because he attracts a type of person who normally wouldn't watch basketball as much because of the perceived "blackness" of the sport.