1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Face it, steph curry in the new jordan

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by what, Jun 17, 2015.

1. ibm

ibm Member

not a good post.

a great post. :)

2. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

3. ibm

ibm Member

that's curry mom amirite :grin:

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Curry is a rich man's Kyle Korver as a point guard, with some decent handles.

He is an elite three point shooter, who can hit that shot without needing to be open or set. Outside of that, he isn't really a standout anywhere else.

That skill makes him elite, but if his 3 point shot isn't falling, he drastically loses his effectiveness.

5. ibm

ibm Member

true. b,,,b,,,but,,, that's not what the great mass look for.

i used to have a neighbor who was a die-hard fan of david carr, and she didnt even know what a 2-point conversion was. she admired carr just because she thought he's handsome. :cool:

6. VanityHalfBlack

Yeah you guys are right, he's just another run of the mill litter pack of the point guard bunch, nothing special about him at all.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

7. Outlier

Outlier Member

Lol he gets double teamed whenever he has the ball. And he makes plays out of double teams. Way better than you say he has. More effective than you think.

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

uh, no, he does not.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I was going to point that out, but I'm not sure it would do any good. If Curry is double teamed, he's not effective....hell he has to have illegal screens create space for him half the time.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Similar to the relief some mothers felt when the Beatles arrived on the scene. Compared to the Stones, the Animals, the Doors and the like, the Beatles appeared freshly scrubbed and unusual in a nice safe way. My mother loved them. I was a bigger fan of the other groups I mentioned, at least until Rubber Soul.

11. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

He's got the right parents, the right nuclear family of his own, the right level of openness about his faith, the right way of having met his wife, the right even-keeled personality, and absolutely the right complexion to appear largely non-threatening to mainstream America. Add in the fact that he's pretty good at playing basketball (despite what a lot of people here are trying so desperately to argue, to my amusement) -- and it's no mystery that sports media and casual fans are deep-throating him w/ no gag reflex.

He's good, and he's safe. Perfect storm.

1 person likes this.
  12. max14

max14 Member

Interesting point.

Only time will tell.

13. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I agree. He has an oral fixation, just like MJ. His defense is horribly overhyped, just like MJ. You can't breathe on him without being called for a foul, just like MJ. You get tired of listening to the media fawn over him, just like MJ.

14. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

damnit. I didn't know he is a Christian.

15. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

I highly doubt OP was talking about Curry's on court ability compared to Jordan.

I think from a cultural and media perspective, yes Curry is set to become the new Jordan. Probably not on as big a scale. Jordan was pioneer for baggy shorts, and of course.. his own line of sneakers. Jordan shoes changed the game for basketball, culturally.

For Curry to get on Jordan's level culturally, he'll need more endorsements. And he'll need to pioneer something. No idea what, but just saying what needs to be done to get to Jordan's level od reputation.

16. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Thank you - that's what I've been saying since the MVP race started heating up. He's safe...and boring and he happens to get the benefit of some favorable racial politics. Honestly, it makes me appreciate Harden much more because he is almost the opposite of Curry.

17. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Absolutely - or if you want to paint another parallel, the same relief when Elvis started playing "that's alright" rather than "big boy" Crudup. All of a sudden people who were too intimidated by rhythm and blues records at the time, had a whitewashed version of it available to them.

18. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Lol, your homerism has now compelled you to **** on anyone that is not part of the Rockets. First you **** on LBJ's historic performance in the Finals by calling it mediocre and now you claim that Curry has some decent handles even thought they're some of the best in the league, lol, smh. Take off the homer glasses every once in a while. They're blinding you.

19. Bids9

Bids9 Member

[​IMG]

20. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Pls aware me of someone else as good at basketball as Steph who has/had everything you listed above, but was darker, which resulted in not as much popularity.