1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN forced to pull "Fist Kiss" ad- homophobia?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by across110thstreet, Feb 4, 2009.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Again, I can't imagine Shaq being so repulsed by something as innocent as a fist bump being called a "fist kiss" if Breen was a female.

2. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Irrational? I wouldn't want to have sex with, kiss, or show affection to Oprah Winfrey. I'd find that disgusting. Is that Oprahphobia?

Even putting principles aside, i just don't get the argument that it is wrong on some level to be disgusted by the way someone has sex or whom they have it with.

Didn't mean to derail the thread i'm just desperate to understand the argument. I'm not the one to intentionally offend someone and i'm sorry if i have.

3. durvasa

If such a term existed, sure.

I'm not making that argument. As I wrote previously in reply to you:

"I don't care if someone personally find homosexuality disgusting. It's when that disgust and contempt goes from their behavior to them as people that I have a problem."

If you have a visceral disgust towards homosexuality, but you don't let that effect how you treat homosexuals, then I'm not going to say you're wrong. You are homophobic, by definition, but that's a description of your irrational fear and not a judgment.

4. bloop

bloop Member

what can you imagine? can you imagine having a sense of humor? can you imagine the fact that shaq is hetro and a kiss of any kind from Breen is in fact replusive and to be avoided? shaq doesn't have a right to feel that? he doesn't have a right to express his revulsion in a good natured way because it isn't kosher with some minority group? is he supposed to feel guilty or are we supposed to ostracize him because he's a) CORRECTLY PSYCHOLOGICALLY WIRED towards finding women attractive and men unattractive b)has the correct evolutionary impulse to procreate and c)is a viable evolutionary conduit instead of a evolutionary dead end fixated on packing fudge with dudes?

this entire thread is derailed by politically programmed dudes who cannot distinguish morality from politics.

what GLAAD is thinking here is that they have the political clout to dictate to ESPN and anyone else the discourse about all things homosexual. they think they as a minority group "own" the space around any topic that discusses homosexuality, human sexuality, sexual morality and even humor. basically they think they can dictate what people say and to some degree what people think about "gay"

... and they're right. it doesn't have to do with right or wrong it's simply politics. one a group gets a certain amount of leverage without any checks and balances they get to dictate terms to everyone else too scared to counter them.

in this case it doesn't even matter that this commercial wasn't even about gays for the record. there's nothing indicating Breen is gay so be definition it cannot be homophobic. it merely shows Breen as this awkward social dude who picks a really unfortunate (and funny) name for his fist bump. but again none of that matters, all that's required is for this group to say "we dont like it" and it gets pulled off the air

5. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

If a woman I barely know walks up to me and says "Give me kiss", I would think it was weird.

6. durvasa

Shaq has a right to feel whatever he likes. But if he's going to broadcast those feelings, as a popular and public figure, there's a social responsibility that comes with it. This isn't about rights. He has a right to think and say whatever he likes, obviously.

7. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Nash give me a fist kiss.
    Amare give me a fist kiss.

LMAO!!! :D :D :D

8. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Look at all the little Suzie Sensitives coming out of the woodwork in here.

:D

9. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

A lot of people disagree with you.

Shouldn't it be the most desirable option to just avoid offending others? I don't see why people get so worked up over their right to do and say stuff that hurts certain (marginalized) groups of people. If homosexuals find it offensive I'll trust them that it's offensive. But that's just my opinion.