1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN forced to pull "Fist Kiss" ad- homophobia?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by across110thstreet, Feb 4, 2009.

1. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

GLAAD is crazy for pulling a stunt like this.

the ad, featuring Mike Breen and Shaq, made me literally burst out laughing, and I watched it three times before I moved on... the ad had created a firestorm among the gays, calling homophobic...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vk7vFswrZbE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vk7vFswrZbE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

http://www.edgeboston.com/index.php?ch=news&sc=&sc2=news&sc3=&id=86749

Shaq is comedic gold in this ad, a completely harmless ad showing the coolness factor between an analyst and a pro athlete...

completely stupid on GLAAD's part, in my opinion

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Why do gays always have something stuck up their asses?

3. Landlord Landry

what a gay reaction by GLAAD.

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

"Fist kiss" is homophobic? Give me a break.

Even one dude disgusted by kissing another dude isn't really homophobic. That's just a natural reaction for heterosexuals. Most gay dudes are disgusted at the thought of being intimate with a woman but we don't call them heterophobic. GLAAD needs to get a life.

5. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

LMAO. Good one!

But yeah, commercial seems innocent to me.

6. God's Son

God's Son Member

i will miss the big lug when he retires :(

next to barkley there has not been any1 with as dynamic a personality and as funny as shaq

7. Crush

Crush Rookie

agree. if they mind their own business people will mind theirs

8. God's Son

God's Son Member

i gotta say wade has a pretty cool personality too i wonder if he will turn into the funny kid on the block when shaq retires and i dont mean just in commercials

i think my fav tmobile commercial is the one with barkley showing wade all those old tapes of him in his prime and wade makes fun of him for those tight shorts. that and the golf one are pretty funny

9. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I agree, and I'm not supporting GLAAD's actions here, but I think they were probably a little more concerned with the part in red...

There's a difference between disagreeing with someone's feelings/opinions, but it's something else to demean someone for it.

#9 ClutchCityReturns, Feb 4, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  10. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

wade is funny...but lebron is freaking hilarious.

11. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

Is Mike Breen gay? Was he pretending to be gay? I think the answer to both is "no", so I don't see how this is gaybashing.

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

That's the correct decision. It's one thing if Shaq just reacts uncomfortably, and its another when he calls Breen "a weirdo". Totally unnecessary.

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

he didn't call him gay. lol and wouldn't someone kind of be a weirdo if they were trying to give you a "fist kiss"?

14. Serg300

Serg300 Member

GLADD just needing some publicity….lame.

By the way Shaq said…"you're getting weird on me man" not "you're a weirdo man"

15. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

This is just a reflection of the type of society we live in. It's a shame really.

16. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Seriously? I think Lebron comes off as an idiot who thinks he is funny.

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Come on .. clearly Shaq is saying its "disgusting" because of it connotes intimacy between two men.

If Breen called it a "fist tap" or "fist bump" it wouldn't be weird. Because he used the word "kiss" and "love" (or "fist hump" as Shaq also calls it) he becomes a "weirdo" and its "disgusting".

It is blatantly homophobic.

18. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I can see why they'd be put off by it. Done a little differently, it could have been fine.

The Scrabble one was pure gold.

19. zoork34

zoork34 Contributing Member

They should have kept it on for spite. Besides, how many viewers are they going to lose if they make the gay community angry? Not many.

20. yobod

yobod Member

Really? Come on man, you didn't find the commercials where it's like the 4 generations of LeBrons all in one family funny at all? The one where the oldest one is talking at the dinner table, and he's talking to the prima donna one about how kids nowadays are punks, and he's like "man....you ain't got nothin....I had 30 pts, 25 rebounds 15 assists.....and 10 dunks all in one game. That's a quadruple-double right there." was hilarious in my opinion. I think he's got a pretty funny sense of humor.