1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard receives bone marrow aspirate injection in his right knee

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Feb 4, 2015.

1. cheke64

cheke64 Member

They caught it early but they said it was a sore knee. I was calling that bull**** out, you know, silly me contrarian. Knees dont get ****ing sore.

2. Zbed

Zbed Member

lol yes they do

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

you actually thought it was a sore knee?

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I'm still focused on the overall cause of this. All these treatments address the lack of cartilage, but obviously something wore it down, and it seems to be only in one knee...so that takes me back to his mechanics. If they haven't been corrected, he's just going to grind that cartilage back down again, if these treatments actually work.

5. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, I know about opponent thing, I guess I just mean that unless you see player hurt/leave court during game you don't always get the full story. Most recent example was delay on tmac/yao injury status. And obviously any FO in the league doesn't owe fans anything, just be nice to be in the know more often even if it did hurt ticket sales. For example the first time he had a knee treatment this season there was no freaking way he was day-to-day... When they did that first injection he was definitely out a month regardless of what we were being told. On this latest injection I'm betting 1-2 months, unless he needs more injections, since we don't know how bad the area is.

I wish there was more info on case studies for young athletes getting this, but it's pretty new, I know this is definitely a better attempt than microfracture. I'll look up some more research docs later maybe on some databases I have access to because I'm curious... I'm not a Dr (yet)...

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Technically, they called it a bone bruise and claimed he bumped knees in practice.

7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, I mentioned this earlier, I wonder if this treatment goes good if he'll have the other knee done proactively... I mean unless some how his condition only wore down one side (would be more wear n tear and not genetic)... Because I don't recall seeing true injury on the current knee.

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Because he probably didn't realize how bad his knee was until the season started.

9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I meant I guess real injury and not just bruise (from my comment above).

10. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Wish D12 luck in his recovery, the knee has only so many jumps in it. D12 may have seen his last days. I hope he doesn't turn into Garnett who is robing the league for every check he receives.

11. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

R E L A X

12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

thats what Mchale said. Its a sore knee.

13. Play07

Play07 Member

14. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

This is not a Dwight Howard is playing bad situation, this is a career threatening situation.

After the Yao and Tmac era, this sucks bad.

15. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Relax people! We still have a very GOOD team! Let Morey and his crew figure out which contingency plan they want to take! I don't think this is catching anyone in the Rockets organization by surprise! It sucks that Dwight is injured but there is still time to make moves to bolster our team!

16. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Like I expressed before in the midst of Dwight's knee issues, the Rox need to be in the mindset of life without Dwight and prepare for the rest of this season and beyond accordingly. He shouldn't be considered a cornerstone player the team should be continuing to build around. If/when he comes back, he should adjust to the new direction the team is going in (Harden and Dmo being main offensive options) instead of team readjusting to him. Basically be a high priced role player (rebounding, rim protection, dunks, put backs, etc.) Unfortunately,this is why his contract hurts so much because $20 million dollar role players keep you from fully improving the team in other still much needed areas (consistent perimeter shooting, bonafide pg, etc.)

17. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

1) Asik isn't exactly lighting it up in NOs

2) You aren't factoring in this is a team friendly contract he is on now and by next year he'll get near max money.

Asik wasn't the answer then and isn't now.

18. malakas

malakas Member

Speedy recovery Dwight!

They caught it early it's not a full tear it's not genetic and Dwight is still very young. I think these papers about chronic cases of 60y.o paint a much bleaker picture than what is the case here.

19. solid

solid Contributing Member

Shades of Yao Ming. We have been down this road before. Need a center. A "real" back up center not named Dorsey.

20. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

[​IMG]
    This perhaps is exactly what is wrong with Dwert...His articular cartilage experienced damage to its surface. These changes are often seen as you age, but could also be seen in highly demanding sports ie soccer, bball...etc.

Something happened that made this worse. It could be a small patch of his knee that has degenerate causing the bone on bone contact...it could be more widespread. The injection of Bone marrow aspirate is exactly what it sounds like. Bone marrow from the patient is taken. The Bone marrow contain highly specialized cells that can differentiate into things your body needs. The hope for this treatment is help regenerate the cartilage needed at that spot on the bone that lost the cartilaginous tissue.

This unfortunately is going to be a chronic issue for Dwight. Long offseason may help in the recovery, but its something he will have to address for sure this off-season (and may cause him to be out of commission for the start of the next season).