1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dream Talks and Balks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oeilpere, Jul 17, 2001.

1. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

This Rockets team doesn't have more talent then the Lakers. I guess it's kind of ok if we can re-sign Mo for a multi-year deal, it still concerns me that the Rockets cap money will be locked up next summer.

------------------
    "Instruments are like women: After a while, you want to make love to another."

- Nicolas Godin of the musical duo Air

2. JR

JR Contributing Member

RocksMil -- my point exactly: what's worse, a 2-year contract for Dream or a 5 or 6 year deal for one of the three-headed Nazr / Todd MC / MJackson monster (i.e. CATO, PART DEUX)??

------------------

[This message has been edited by JR (edited July 17, 2001).]

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Cat, you continue to assume that since only LaFrentz and Kandi are available free agent centers that cap room cannot help close trades for any center.

Man, with $10m in cap room after a Dream 1yr deal, we can become a big target for trades.

This GM world isn't all about stealing people via free agency. It is about salary matching trades, and $10m in cap room allows you to match ALL trades.

4. RocksMillenium

I don't know about a 5 or 6 year deal, but at least Marc Jackson and Nazr Mohammad and the like have contributed during the season, so we know what to expect. Cato didn't contribute during the season, so it was a mistake to sign him, and that is why I don't lump Nazr, and Marc Jackson with Cato.

------------------

5. haven

haven Member

JR: You don't know what you're saying here. It's irrelevant because Francis will get the max. Signing someone for 2 years is exactly the same for Houston's cap as signing then for 5.

If we want a chance at a serviceable free agent who's not willing to accept the exception, we have to cut Dream lose after 1 year. Otherwise... no chance.

Besides, do you really believe he'll be effective for 2 more years?

------------------
    Clutchcity.net... source for all your Rockets, Astros, political, music, humor, and Gordita news.

6. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

Crispee are you still confident that Hakeem will sign a one year deal?

It seems from OP post, that Hakeem will not take a one year deal.

------------------

7. Band Geek Mobster

I doubt many people agree with me, but I'd rather just sign this Axel dude from the summer leagues and run a Cato/Collier/Axel center platoon. I'd much rather have Cato + 2 cheap centers over Cato + Collier + $5-7 million center.

------------------
    President of the CC.net Realist Club, everyone needs a dose of reality once in a while...

8. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

crispeecritter

I do not mind the critiicism a bit. It's good for the soul. You and I do not have a problem. I do have a quandry though.

Initially the premise that was relayed to me was:

.... CD has changed the original offer for Hakeem to a two year deal worth $11.6 Million - with a guaranteed second year payment...

... The Rocket management's focus apparently was to narrow the first year (this year)to $4.5 Million with a (guaranteed) second year at $7.1 Million. ...

If I accept my guys info, (he has been right on with everything he has shared with me in the past and he is in a unique position to know these things) then there has to be a logical explanation for any supposed conflict with the CBA.

I attempted to point out the one possible explanation that I felt was the most obvious. Signing Bonuses. Deferment. Prorating. Etc ....

There has to be some way to structure the offer as presented, otherwise it would not have been tabled. That's the quandry.

Cheers.

------------------

9. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

All of you guys keep talking about how signing Dream to this contract will only hinder us in the future because he is not part of the Rockets future, but who out of the current free agent crop is still available(other than Webber) that would be a part of the Rockets future?

Answer: no one for sure.

Many people keep mentioning Marc Jackson, because of his size and skill around the basket but the guy had one good year on a pretty bad team. I'm not ready to give him Dream or Cato money because he had one good season. I'm not even sure he is the fit we are looking for.

If we really want to look to the future, signing Dream to a 1-2 year deal may be the best option because it allows us to keep most of the current roster together and once his contract is up, one of the best big men in the game will be a free agent...Tim Duncan. Sure, we shouldn't assume that he will sign here, but it would put us in a good position to be when he becomes available.

------------------
    Anger is a weed. Hate is a tree.

10. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I agree with everything Cat and Achebe have said in this thread. Keep it up.

------------------

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I never said he would sign one. What don't you understand about my point in driver8's thread. I said we should negotiate for only a 1yr or a 2yr without a guaranteed 2nd yr. That looks to me exactly what is happening.

or walk away.

According to OP's source, we are offering a low ball 2yr or the 1yr like I said. We are not close to Fegan's numbers.

So, barberdog, are you ready to walk away from Dream like me, unless he signs a 1yr. Or would you guarantee him 2yrs and pull down your pants to Fegan, like you claimed I was doing.

12. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

Crispee, I was ready to walk away from Dream after his unrealistic demands. He does not fit in the team chemistry, which the Rockets have thrived on for years. If he returns, he will not have the same respect from Steve & co.

As OP has stated, CD has already offered a guaranteed 2 year contract, they are just fighting over the amount of money. So there is no need to ever discuss a one year contract again, that dream is over!!!

I think CD has lost his mind, he needs to cut Hakeem loose, as many who run this website have already stated.

------------------

13. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

HEY- If Dream had not had that great 13 game run last season nobody on this thread would believe he had anything left to give.

Rudy, CD and many here believe he can do it again.

That's the real issue not the money.

If Dream is going to deliver at a pace of 12-15 pts. 9-12 RB and 1-2 blocks at center for us say 60-70% of the season(s). Then there is no one better available. That's the only gamble. If he comes up lame or he can't jump (this was the big difference Dream hadn't jumped for over a year until that strectch)
    or he can't breathe, or he can't run. Then we lose the gamble no matter what we are paying. If he delivers the game we win no matter what the contract. If he gives 15 pts. 10 RB. and 1.5 block (say for 70 games+) at center he IS worth 10 mil per year. So the real million dollar question is... IS DREAM HEALTHY?

Just to get a fill in (remember the Bulls in Jordan years) servicable center is not as hard as you might think.

------------------

14. pecosbill

pecosbill Member

Ok, I am wrong. Let us rely on Jason Collier. I read he went back to rehab.. My bad, he can shoot the outside shot. Venson Hamiltion, not a option. Cato overpaid and lazy. Let us rely on him? KT even did some time at center. So did Mo Taylor. I think KT and Mo split time. I don't think wish lists (possible trades)or other options are better than Hakeem. Did I mention I have his game by game stats since 1/24? This was during the time he "demanded" a trade and critized Rudy for the use of a big man??

------------------

15. RocksMillenium

People are missing the point, there isn't a problem giving Dream a one year deal, but a TWO year deal ties up the Rockets cap NEXT summer, and it isn't a given that Dream will even complete the season, or decide to retire after this upcoming season for whatever reason. Then we're stuck with a banged up or retired center sucking up cap for another year.

------------------

16. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

yee-hoo!!! The Cat and I have agreed on two different topics on two separate days! (Morris/Griffin and now Dream). [​IMG]

haven, I will host ('bet' is slated for the bbs filter) you at a Jazz/Rockets game during the 2002-2003 season within the first 5 rows of the court @ behind the Rockets' bench if Dream plays less than 60% of the games for this year(after signing a 2 year contract). If Dream plays > than 60% of the games you host me in prime seats in Houston. If Dream retires during the summer of 2002, I automatically become the host. The hosts do not pay for airfare.

Host?

[This message has been edited by Achebe (edited July 17, 2001).]

17. haven

haven Member

Achebe:

But I wouldn't be betting on my position, since I think that Hakeem is very capable of playing a substantial number of games *this year*. It's the year after that disturbs me, when I doubt he'll play half of them. Oeilpere's 4.5 million for this year would be a dream come true - 6-7m is what I was expecting.

If you want a bet, it'd have to involve the 2nd year with mpg or gp.

------------------
    Clutchcity.net... source for all your Rockets, Astros, political, music, humor, and Gordita news.

18. Achebe

No RocksM, people are missing the real point.

There's no controversy. Two parties are disagreeing on contract values that can't even be signed until tomorrow. There's no issue, there's no conflict.

Most of Houston walks around ignorant of a minor, trivial contractual dispute. That's actually the way it's supposed to be. Someone asking for x amount of money is none of your damn business. If you didn't pay as much attention to the Rockets, or if you were reasonable about players expecting salaries that are orders of magnitude of what we make, you'd happen across some article in mid July about Dream signing a contract w/ the Rockets w/ a blissful ignorant smile on your face.

Dream is better than Antonio Davis. Dream is better than Todd Mac. Dream is better than every FA center you can list. He's not asking for a contractual obligation until he's 50. He's asking for money, perhaps in the last contract of his life, for a fair professional athlete's wage.

------------------
    Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen...

19. Achebe

haven, not a 'bet', a 'host'. [​IMG]

I pondered the second year, but I don't know the schedule in Utah for that second year so it's hard to quantify a fair hosting proposition that year.

That's why I mentioned the 60% of the games for this upcoming year and threw in the summer retirement issue. I'll bump up the %age of games played this year though to 67% if you're game for the host.

Host?

20. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

This is such crap. I am so sick of hearing "Hakeem will hamper our future". Enough of "the future". Let's concentrate on the present. Presently, Hakeem would be the best center for the Rockets. He showed excellent chemistry last season. When he and Steve played well at the same time, the Rockets were unbeatable. I am ready to win now. I don't care about what happens three years from now. I am ready for the 2001-02 season, nothing else. That is where the Rockets should focus. No more development, just winning. Hakeem could make that a reality. Win NOW! Forget the future.

------------------
    Protrolls.com!

"I want to be like Olajon." -Sagana Diop has the right idea...

Keep the ???? alive!