1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dream Talks and Balks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oeilpere, Jul 17, 2001.

1. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

Latest Dream Talks and Balks

Have had a very reliable source tell me that talks with sports agent Dan Fegan (I thought he spelled that as Feigan at one time?) and CD has changed the original offer for Hakeem to a two year deal worth $11.6 Million - with a guaranteed second year payement.

The Rocket management's focus apparently was to narrow the first year (this year)to $4.5 Million with a (guaranteed) second year at $7.1 Million.

Regardless - this was a major step in negotiations as Fegan was searching for a multi-year deal worth between $7.5 - $10.5 million a year. Up to this point the Rockets have pushed for a single year with single digit money.

Hakeem has not agreed as yet and indications are that he still wants some deep teenage money ( 14,15,16) in a two year contract. But it looks like the Rocket management barrier of "sorry,no big two year deals" has been crossed. The Rockets blinked first.

Round one to Hakeem.

My Thoughts on it:

I don't think Hakeem will buy it. I think the Rockets are getting themselves farther down the road than they wanted. With the signings of other tall free agents, it is getting closer and closer to a fait accompli. Well actually maybe closer to a coup d etat.

I fully expect a second offer from the Hakeem camp to be in the neighborhood of $13-16 Million over two years. IMHO, CD and company will settle for a $6 - 6.5 Million first year and a guaranteed $8 Million second year.

This is not good for the team.

I still think this will harm us this year.

------------------

PS: Sorry, meant to add this to the above --- rockHead has got to be "fan of the day". Pictures and everything! That warms my heart. Rock on!!!! Stalkers unite!!!!! LOL

[This message has been edited by oeilpere (edited July 17, 2001).]

2. tozai

tozai Member

That offer sounds completely fair. It is already getting too late. Nazr was signed and who knows who is next. If he wants any more he should retire. If he does take the deal...what do you all think the rocks will do regarding resigning mo, moochie, (we dont need shandon) and getting another 5/and or getting rid of cato?

------------------

3. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Thanks again, oeilpere! You're the best.

Do you see this ending within a couple of days, or weeks?

------------------
    It looks like a veteran can Be had.

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Are you aware of any other teams that have talked to Dreams agent? Also do agents like Dreams take into account what kind of effect Dreams negotiations might have on his other free agents such as Moochie? Thanks for the info.

After yesterday news by rH and the tone of Dreams comments in the Chronicle it sounds like he is perfectly willing to jetison himself from Rocketville.

------------------

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

2nd year??? I hope Dream can make it without some random ailment or affliction to play 25games this year!

------------------

6. crash5179

I think we better hope that Cato has a drastic change in the type of effort and production he gives us over the next two years.

------------------

7. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

IMHO - Days.

1. Hakeem wants this settled.
    2. Regardless of what any agent says, the money available out there for Hakeem is limited. Hakeem is not stupid. He knows anything close to his asking price, especially in a guaranteed two year deal is a victory for him.
    3. The Rockets can't wait and hang up their other interests much longer. Some decisions have to be made. And real soon.

------------------

8. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Thanks OP. I agree that a second year is too much. Even if 50 games of Hakeem is worth the 4.5 this year (and he might be) there is no way he could justify the $7 million in 2002/03. I'm not willing to put the rebuilding plans on hold like that. A farewell tour this season might be great, but a line has to be drawn at one season.

------------------
    I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip that I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

barbourdog and driver8, there is your one-year deal negotiation rumor. I'm an imbecile negotiator alright.

Such a raise is illegal.

10. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not worried about the other guys that already have deals in place.At 4.5,I'd say we're getting a steal.6.5 sounds just right....I'd have no problem with 2 years/13 mil.Negotiations and posturing are part of the game.You have to start somewhere.If we pull him in at 6.5,what kind of flexibility do we have?The 2 million difference,along with the timing could have major ramifications,but....I just can't help but feel that we will add another BIG rotation player...whether through signing or some kind of deal before it's over.

------------------
    Everybody has a little bit of Watergate in em - Billy Graham

[This message has been edited by hardwood (edited July 17, 2001).]

11. crash5179

Wouldn't 6mil this year leave us with enough room to sign our own free agents? Is there another free agent that the Rockets have their eye on that would be effected by Dream getting this much? How would this deal hurt us this year? Sorry about the barrage of questions but I was under the impression that if we could get Dream to sign this year for 7.5 mil or less then that would leave us with sufficiant cap room to finish our buisness this year and sign all the players that we were after.

------------------

12. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

1. I had heard they spoke to everyone. But that is not any indication of seriousness. Miami, Seattle, New York, Indiana, etc .... most of these teams just don't have the money or the manueverability (or apparently desire)to negotiate a deal like Houston.

2. You have got to be kidding. A sports agent is as beloved and altruistic as a high-priced defense attorney. Maybe even more ruthless. they could care less what a team does. Just "show me the money", brutha.

3. I wouldn't listen to anything Hakeem says at this point. He is posturing. Even in casual conversqation.

------------------

13. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Oeilpere, 3 Questions:

1. What is the status of Hakeem's health?

2. Does he still have friction with Rudy on how he will be used next season?

3. How does he really affect and fit in with the younger guys?

------------------

14. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

oeilpere...I could be wrong, but I think what crash meant by other free agents was "other free agents that Dan Fegan also represents."

I think it's a valid question seeing as Fegan supposedly represents Moochie as well as Shandon. I'm a little curious about that myself.

------------------
    stop posting my damn signature

[This message has been edited by Pole (edited July 17, 2001).]

15. crash5179

You are correct sir [​IMG]

I guess if agents are so ruthless to sell out there own mothers that they would have no problem selling out one of their own clients to increase the size of their own bank accounts.

------------------

16. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

OP,

CD attempting to sign Dream for a lower salary next year, such as 4.5 million, makes it appear to me that he is saving money for someone else right now. Mo's deal will probably start at approximately 5.5 million per season. Moochie only counts 680K on the cap until resigned, and he can be resigned at the end of the signing period once we have everyone else in the fold. Are the Rockets clearing that extra money simply for future years, for Shandon (please no, he is not needed), or are they looking at an outside free agent such as Marc Jackson?

------------------
    Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

The Mo Taylor Fan Site

17. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

1. Yes. I wrote Larry last night and I'm waiting for a reply, but yes I think this makes it possible.

2. Yes. The original plan was to return everyone from last year and beef up our center spot by trade or FA signings. FA signings are getting slim and the money for them is dwindling.

3(a). See above(#2).
    (b)But that is not my real concern. This whole affair has caused a delay in the plan. Effectively taken us out of the running in a number of FA fronts and a number of deals involving others. Atlanta pivot Nazr, Golden State's Jackson, moves with some Eastern teams that required some careful thought and eventyually decisions. Not prolonged hem'en and haw'en ... etc ....
    (c) It has made our FAs (MoTay,Moochie, primarily) wait while Hakeem has had his "set to" with the Rockets. I just don't think it had an appearance of a healthy negotiation when viewed by these other guys.
    (d) I don't like the precedent that has been established. That the Rockets will blink first in a hard negotiation.
    (e) It gives us a second year contract that we will eventually have to eat. Make no mistake about this .... we will not get 60-70 games out of Hakeem in this two year contract. It is a Maloney Albatross. A cato catastrophe that will limiyt us for two years in growing and filling needs. Let's say hakeem is not here next year. We still have to suck in another 7.5 - 8.5 million AND then shop for another pivot man? I would have sucked it up, said sorrtyu partner and go shopping this year. Why wait?
    (f) My final reason: Hakeem will make this team better by being on it, but he will not take this team to the playoffs. Others will. Others will be the future. Others will be difference. Halkeem will make a difference, but in the long run (the next two years) starting a young gun at the pivot would be more competitive and more successful.

------------------

18. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Just as a crazy coincidence, signing Dream at 4.5 million would allow the team to sign Webber @ the max(only loosing Anderson(redundant) and Mo Taylor).

But that's just a crazy coincidence. Too bad crispee's little 'rules' get in the way.

------------------
    Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen...

19. Title99

Title99 Contributing Member

I can't believe Hakeem is doing this to us. I know the guy is a business man and looking out for his best interest, but what about him always saying that he wants what is best for the team. He wants to resign all the guys from last year, but doesn't he realize that 16 mil over 2 years is hindering that possibility? The guy has made his dough, being rewarded handsomely these past few years by being overpaid for his current contributions. Hakeem, play for the exception, make the playoffs, and go out as the greatest athelete in the history of this city.

Also, there is no way Hakeem plays more than 45 games this year, not to mention next year. We can't afford to be spending so much money on a player that won't play 80 games over the next 2 years!!!!!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Title99 (edited July 17, 2001).]

20. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

This is what I was worried about. Signing Dream to a 2 year deal is going to hurt badly. Not only is it going to tie up capspace, we don't even know if Dream is going to be completely healthy for NEXT year let alone a 2nd year. And is he going to complain about shots? The guy was making over 11 million dollars last year and was complaining what about NEXT year!? I would rather have a young center who can grow with the team.

------------------
    "Instruments are like women: After a while, you want to make love to another."

- Nicolas Godin of the musical duo Air