1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dream Talks and Balks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oeilpere, Jul 17, 2001.

1. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd rather have a 1 year, 12 million dollar deal.

I ran the numbers, and to get a 12.6 mill deal over 2 years, the base would be slightly over 5.45 million dollars.

If we renounce all except Moochie, we have ~16.5 mill in cap space. That means, we could sign Olajuwon to a 10 mill contract, and still be able to sign Mo to a 6.5 mill contract if we wanted that. The only possible guy an Olajuwon signing hinders is Mo Taylor, and we can still offer him 4.5 mill, even if we gave Hakeem 17 million
    -------------

Can the Rockets possible go with a trio consisting of guy with no heart, an aging veteran, and a 2nd year player coming off knee surgery?

Also pops, is that deal (#3) from your draft thread still going down?

------------------
    "I always thought Hakeem was the better offensive player and DRob the better defender." Spurever

Shaq would probably agree.

2. Shandon Anversen

Hakeem is Hapolitician.

smile and wave to the crowd...

------------------
    shandn has no "o".

3. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Thanks again for the info Pops. [​IMG]

------------------

4. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Cut him loose.

Shake off the memories of glory and the warm feelings of loyalty (as Hakeem obviously has, given his public comments) and look at him as you would look at a veteran free agent. We are talking about signing a some-minutes-a-game, some-games-a-year role player around whom we can't organize an offense or defense beyond one to two years. Pick a dollar amount you're willing to spend on a player of those considerable limitations, and don't commit beyond it.

If he won't accept that offer, cut him loose. We have a team to build.

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Cut him loose, and let him go play 20 games for the Fakers or Heat, whilst demanding the ball en route to getting blocked under the rim, missing point-blank dunks, and having the team trainer pull out his medical encyclopedia every 3days to diagnose his newest ailment...

------------------

6. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Will they buy it! I don't think so, But Dream will have a counter demands and it's up to CD & Co. to make offer. Stay tune....on the next episode!

Shake not stir! [​IMG]

------------------
    Rudy T. will find and fulfill Rockets destiny.

7. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

if the rockets do this deal that is being discussed, the one with the larger back-ended deal for hakeem. . .

1)how will that effect the most important issue of all for the rockets: re-signing Steve Francis to the maximum long-term deal after next year? it may not effect it at all, I don't know.

2)also, what sort of position would it put the rockets in heading into the Great Free Agent Harvest looming after '02-'03?

------------------
    houston rockets = 2
    utah jazz = 0

8. BahDakota

BahDakota Member

Chiev, it has no effect on signing Francis at all.

As for Dream....let him go, time to move on.

Renounce him already !!!

------------------
    How long do I have to endure this ?

9. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

exactly kalikuli.

I just hope Frisco and Scorpio can work it all out! That evil Dreamo is such a bad sport! Scorpio and Frisco thought that Dreamo was donating his wares to the church, but then! Then the evil Dreamo's henchman Fegano came in carrying the hourglass! The ****ing hourglass!!! [​IMG]

Fegano and Dreamo said "we're not donating our wares to the church! Heavens to mercy! Gr(ea)y Poupon!". Frisco and Scorpio implored, but Dreamo and Fegano sped off...

But lo...

Frisco and Scorpio don't work at a church! [​IMG] [​IMG] EEEEEEEEKAKAKAKA!!!!

THEY'REEEE ALIENS! nOOoooOOOO! aLIeNZ!!!! agghhHHHHAHN NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! HorROR!!!! NO!

10. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the info, OP. One question:

Is there still signifigant trade discussions going on, or have those largely frozen with the FA talks? I am particularly interested in the trade with Atlanta netting us Nazr and Demarr Johnson that you mentioned in another thread.

You rule, Pops.

------------------
    Rockets need power forward. Mo near now. Go near Mo.

You can Run from the bet, you can Rave at the bet...but you just can't hide.

11. JR

JR Contributing Member

how short the memories are. Who was kicking ASS last year in the second half when the team was at its absolute best?? Cato? Collier? Some soon-to-be wildly overpaid joke like Nazr or MJackson? No, it was DREAM, the same guy that got you 2 titles and the same guy that could help THIS team win another title THIS year. Screw all this building for 2 or 3 years out. There's nobody out there better than Hakeem for this money!!

------------------

12. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

That is what I am talking about. This man is the Rockets and should be treated as such. $15m for two years is fair when everything is considered. If he plays 24mins per game for the next two year in the regular season, I will be pleased. Remember folks he will have more help than he ever had so the chances of breakdown should be lower. Pay the man the money and let us move on. Compared to Cato, Todd Mac and countless others, that is a steal.

------------------

13. pecosbill

pecosbill Member

Hakeem smelled up the place during the firsr half of the year.

His stats are as follows:

He played in 28 of 40 games. His stats are as follows:

PPG 14.0
    RPG 8.79? maybe 8.8?
    BPG 1.75
    SPG 1.29... Steals per game... playing center... where does he rank?

minutes per game... 28.1 ... he played over 30 minutes several times....

------------------

14. pecosbill

pecosbill Member

The averages that I show happen after 1/24/2001.

------------------

15. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

Achebe, too funny. PecosBill. See a doctor. Have your nose checked. Hakeem did not smell up the place last year.

------------------

16. Drex22

Drex22 Contributing Member

I agree with NIKE, I would rather the Rockets sign Dream to a larger 1 year deal. A gauranted second year for over 7 mil could be really bad especially if he gets hurt. Sign him this year for what he wants, then have tons of dough again next season.

17. pecosbill

pecosbill Member

My bad, Hakeem started to smell better after 1/24...Besides as the free agency goes, Hakeem cannot get anymore money outside of the Rockets....Just what I have read.

------------------

18. Shandon Anversen

hakeem DID smell up the place in the first 1/2 of the season. then, he started trying [​IMG] and that is what bothers me about him. first he's getting rimchecked, then he's playing like the hakeem of old. don't tell me that's "hakeem getting in shape". that's bS. that's hakeem "trying".

that bothers me.

------------------
    shandn has no "o".

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

The deal is, Hakeem forcing us to sign him hurts us in the future. I understand his point of view, but what does he really care? From what I understand, he'll have his home overseas when he's done as a player, and I don't see him logging on to the Internet, or adjusting his satellite dish, to catch up on the Rockets in the "post-Dream" era.

If we can land a center in two years that really helps the club, then great. If we don't have the $$$, then we'll have to go completely ad-hoc. Yes, we won a fair amount of games w/o a center last year, but not in the West.

Maybe Mo can be our non-filling-the-lane center when Griffin matures and fills the 4 spot....?

------------------

20. Thanos

Thanos Member

I just wonder WHY the Rockets offered a lower amount this year, with a higher value in the second year. Is Mo demanding more money than what we first thought or is CD targeting a free agent NOW and wants that cap for that purpose?

food for thought.

------------------
    Just ship Cato's ass outta town. Plain and simple.