1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Tilman want Green just to make money?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by futilman, Jul 28, 2021.

Tags:
  1. DonatelloLimestone

Did you just make this up?

the dude is literally on record saying that the front office was weak and HE pushed the trade through

So he was only accomodating harden? what about the other 90 percent of the moves?

Hardens best freidn Ariza? Gone...coincidentally signed by the suns who kept his salary alive

do you want a lesson in nba economics of how keeping a salary alive helps teams that are clsoe to the cap get better as in most teams do this?

So Suns signed ariza for that 1 year deal we wouldn't ITs a one year lump sum payment, not future issues, and its tradeable being an expiring contract. So what happened? He was traded months later for kelly oubre JR.

Kelly oubre was then combined with Rubio to go get another guy that tilman leaked as the worst contrat hes seen in business or sports"....Yep Chris Paul...amazing how that works out right?

Or we go the rockets path, the path you say were just about harden

We replaced ariza with...James Ennis(minimum contract) He was playing in MDA's Rotation and that very year while playing he was traded for a 2nd round pick...no players, protected top 55(so nothing basically)

Then Carmelo, also a minimum contract, sent home in the begining of season, we refused to cut his contract until we could trade him for tax purposes

Then Dleague pick up Daniel House.... Who we cut mid season while he was playing a major role...for? Yep tax reasons

Or how about what we did with our picks? Yep traded those for tax purposes too

"And that was the one thing that Morey never really had. According to the cap numbers at Spotrac, which go back to the 2010-11 season, the Rockets barely went over the luxury tax (just $3.65 million over) in their one season (2015-16) as a taxpayer. The Warriors spent $49.63 million in penalties over the last five seasons, while even the small-market Thunder spent $33.73 million. There was no excuse for Houston to not open up the checkbook. This is a franchise located in the fourth-biggest metro area in the U.S. that has had a superstar in the prime of his career. Alexander sat on his hands while Houston’s rivals went all in, counting on Morey’s ability to use advanced statistics to turn water into wine.

This refusal to spend money became farcical once Alexander sold the team to Tilman Fertitta in 2017. Fertitta spent so much money ($2.2 billion) to purchase the Rockets that he may not have had the liquidity to go into the red to build a title contender. Houston was a laughingstock around the league for the amount of juggling it had to do to stay under the tax. The best example came at the trade deadline last season, when Morey used a future first-round pick to shed the salaries of Brandon Knight and Marquese Chriss. There was no basketball reason for the move. It was just done to cut costs. It’s not that Knight and Chriss would have helped the Rockets. But there were certainly a lot of better things that Morey could have used that pick for.

Houston also spent that season in a bizarre staring contest with Danuel House Jr. House is the kind of diamond in the rough that Morey routinely uncovered in Houston, an undrafted free agent on a two-way contract who would become a starting-caliber wing. The problem was that players on those deals can spend only 45 days with the NBA team during the season before their contracts have to be converted. Money in Houston was so tight that Morey had to send House back to the G League when he wouldn’t sign a below-market long-term deal. He replaced House with two players he signed off the street (Gerald Green and Kenneth Faried) before bringing him back right before the playoffs. It’s not like House was asking for the world. He signed a three-year, $11 million contract in the offseason. But even that was more than Morey could offer at the time.

Houston’s limited financial flexibility became an even bigger issue last season after the trade for Westbrook. With the team’s two best players costing a combined $76.7 million, it became almost impossible for Morey to fill out the roster while staying under the luxury tax. Morey and head coach Mike D’Antoni had to conjure up production from players other teams didn’t want. Jeff Green went from being cut by the Jazz to being a crucial piece of the Rockets’ small-ball attack in the playoffs. It was the same story with Austin Rivers, who had been on three teams in five seasons before landing in Houston, and Ben McLemore, who had one foot out of the NBA before the Rockets turned him into a 3-point sniper. All were more valuable in Houston than anywhere else in the league because Morey identified what they could do well and put them in roles that didn’t ask them to do much else.

What about him lying publicly and getting caught about hardens favorite coach? Or running of Jeff BZdelik our most successful coach in 18/19? OR how about dumping harden's trainer?
    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...amn-turmoil-unsettling-vibe-surrounds-rockets

Then heres Chris Paul also not blaming harden

Former Houston Rockets guard Chris Paul was on the Knuckleheads podcast with Darius Miles and Quentin Richardson and explained the impact of the Rockets losing Ariza.

“People don’t realize, that’s the biggest thing that we missed. That was tough when we lost [Ariza] because he sorta was like the glue. He was that glue for our team.”

Then this guy takes the mike after cheaping out on a team, and demands they learn a killer instinct from him? You almost have to wonder why a Presiden, GM, ass gm, Coach, Ass Coach, STar players, aND Veteran role players to the point where the highest clout is our new hire Chris WAllace all ran away.

Bro The ONLY thing he spent more money on was Russ. Coincidentally, STars are where you generate money. Russ has better merhcandise, jersey sales, shoe deals than Chris PAul...this was the one more he could make more money on while of course cheaping out on the margins, depth, wawtering the drinks so that casuals who don't get moves that go down for title holders yearly that dont make headlnes

Is almost as if Harden, who in a time where load management could sit, but he played heavey minutes, heavy useage, games, coming home to the locker room with Paul after another 40-17-8 and sees Housese locker empty bc of savings, sees Ennis's locker empty for savings, ariza gone and wonderes maybe this used car salesman lie to me?

but just like Tilman STILL tells people they went all in for any idiot who still listens to him, he also says those were all accidents above :
    “Last year (getting under the luxury tax) was a fluke. We were going to be in the (tax). It was an accident. I’m still trying to figure out how we got under. I was positive we were going to be in it by $11 million. But if I’m in the luxury tax, I expect us to win.”

Do you gus work for Landrys? Like how do these people keep popping up contradicting tilman's own quotes and lies to defend him?
    Do we ever see Bucks fans sy noooo DONT Sgn 0 point tucker, its not worth your wallet Mr Larsy...or Don't resign Holiday to a crazy max or middleton, we want to save you money don't go all in sir!

OR warriors fans
    Mr. Lacob, paying that much luxury tax for a team not going to win last year is not woth it sir!!...Please we want your billionaire benevolence, yes we know the tv deal comign up might even cover salary right away, but we want you to save money sir! Please no more role plyers or going all in to win...save, your margins, get you a new yacth sir. can I shine that shoe?

The Weirdest thing for me is to see Rockets fans root on moves that hurt the team, the city gets no benefit, the branding gets worst, our team clout/rep gets worse....only one man was benefited in tilman, that one man is on record lying to his fans. I mean hes admitted his a shark, the guy would price each and everyone out of the building if it allows and for my fellow paying fans, he has raised prices while cutting cost....but they lterlaly jump loopholes to defend the...owner? I can't imagine anyone doing that for Les for anyone...its one thing to do it for a player, but this new owner that has lied with receipets, just some utter denial to deflect an easy blame s something very amusing...unless its landrys' employees.. then I get you're just doing youre job or as tilman said above, you have to work for half pay.

#61 DonatelloLimestone, Jul 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  2. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

Do people honestly think Tilman isn't motivated to make the splashiest pick here? Which is clearly Green (or Cade) over Mobley/Suggs?

That doesn't mean Green can't or won't be great, but it also seems pretty obvious that Tilman wants the most exciting/marketable guy rather than a soft spoken, longer term project guy. This is the same owner who just blew up his top 5 team to trade for Russell Westbrook...

D-rock likes this.
  3. VoR

VoR Member

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndic...ul-dwight-howard-kevin-mchales-exits.amp.html

Get your facts straight, son. Rebuild started when the Westbrook trade made Tilman look the fool. Harden gone. Problem solved. Harden is in Vegas’ pocket. Whole damn world know it.

Harden gone. Rockets here. Harden gone. Rockets here.

Harden fuxing gone, breh.

7uche likes this.
  4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Need more words.

Rashmon, Hank McDowell and apollo33 like this.
  5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

It would be impossible to prove or disprove this, at least for a while, so I don't care.

6. KingCheetah

This post is futile man.

7. DonatelloLimestone

Nope
    Rebuild started in 2018. We first began playing hardball in negotiation with Capela, Jeff BZdelik.
    We called ariza and told him we are not running it back
    According To Paul, harden....That was when the rebuild started when we opted to get worse rather than retain talent
    so I guess we can listen to Chris Paul or the tilmanonly fans here

I'm fine with harden gone. Harden was a historic hall of famer, but had his flaws and we all saw it. I'm just not about someone lying to my face and spreading disinformation for a team I wa with before harden, before morey, before tilman, before Les. ITs a simple as that, I'm fine calling em all out

So yea. If you want to elementary you can saw WesTbroOk. we also ignored iman shumperts bird rights to get better next year too by the way.

but if you want to actualyl understand and see the economics, pay attention to non headliner moves bc if you go back in history. Cavs overpaying JR, Klove, Tristan....raptors overpaying Marc...or Game winning plays by derek fisher, Kenny smith, Paxon, Kerr...so on each year that change history but aren't head liner moves or good contracts...you gotta be careful, dont let espn/tmz make you think hoops is played 1-1...nba is MARKETED 1-1, but that aint it. Thats why MJ dominating for 7 years demanded help, thats why LEbron, dominating for 7 years by himself went to hall of famers...or Kobe demanded help or a trade....its status quo and ANY star, Lebron Giannis or anyone else would leave the rockets the way tilman ran it

Same thing i'd say to you. Tilman is just an owner, his job is bring finances thats it. You guys root for him lke hes the damn rockets and that he didnt cut cost and corners, lie to you, and raise prices on fans adn you guys continue to bend over for i guess some subservient personality towards the owner of the team? I'm for F HArden if he wants to be lazy on D. Westbrook can kick rocks with his inefficiency and lack of adjustments, so can morey, so can MDA...And geuss what? So can Les and TIlman. I want whats best for Houston rockets...not Landry's rockets...its hilarious as I said to imagine Bucks or warriors fans have guys screaming and crying to defend the billionaires savings. That boot licking mentality in Texas? F outta here like the great Rocket Melo once said. Go look how many owners lie so publicly, take the mike, try to be the frnachise...its bottom of the barrely stuff, no go look who doesn't back it up? We got the same ego meddling as Dolan, outspokenness of cuban, but the dude wont spend. WE got a dollar value dolan

We are now trying to make inroads with klutch, does it sound like Rich Paul would send any of his 1A clients here? We played it like New Orleans..we lost like new orleans

" asked him about his early conversations with Davis about leaving New Orleans. He grew circumspect. “I educated him on why I thought the team wouldn’t be . . . ” He paused. “All athletes are competitive and confident, until reality sets in. And I educated him on things.”
    For a star player like Davis to commit to a franchise, “you either need your team”—a winning mix of players—“in place, or you need
    flexibility, assets, money, and the ability to make decisions. And, more important, the willingness to pay the tax”—the so-called luxury tax, for exceeding the league’s salary cap, which the Pelicans at that time refused to pay. “This ain’t ‘Moneyball,’ ” Paul said. He was referring to the book by Michael Lewis, in which Billy Beane, the nimble general manager of the Oakland A’s, builds a winning baseball team on the cheap by using advanced statistical methods. But, as Paul knows, nothing quite trumps money. Players have short careers, and very few will remain sentimental about the charms of a small-market existence, particularly if their team is a loser.

D-rock, FrontRunner and clos4life like this.
  8. clos4life

clos4life Member

Holy crap, this is revisionist history of Trumpian levels! Tilman himself, out of his own mouth, said he pushed for the Westbrook trade while Harden has been reported to be okay with CP3 staying on the team right before the trade.

I understand not wanting to go overboard with the Tilfart hate, but when you just completely make up facts it completely demolishes your case.

YOLO, D-rock and FrontRunner like this.
  9. DonatelloLimestone

the problem is that mentality where those folks keep making up an alternative reality si the BS.

I didn't just put the article link which the might read, I tried to include the specific quotes and passages even from Tlman's mouth himself to show em I'm not making this stuff up

its hilarious that peoples only logical come back is not disputing tilman's own words, but 'you must hate him' 'hes living rent free' thats usualyl what people retort to when they don't have actually any thing of substance to respond with, more personal stuff

To think. I've been with this team since BEFORE Les, ebfore harden, before morey,. We've seen a lot of bullshit over the years. None more blasphemos than letting Hakeem walk to toronto, the china pandering, putting f'n Matt Malone a rookie as teh starting guard for a superteam primed to at least compete...and I called it all out. I was actually in the arena once and felt like dropping popcorn on Les after that. I don't worship any owners. they get paid WELL based on our fan interest, so I'm not making excuses for these dudes and ill be logical if it helps the rockets in terms of future flexiblity

Adn so Tlman comes. A houstonian taking over Les. loved it. He was apparently worth way more in a game that is getting more expensive and squeezing out the owners who bought earlier and cheaper. once again, loved it. He tlaked a big game right off the bat of new facilities and spending to win. Loved it. I didnt mind the mural featuring him or him wanting be the centerpiece, bro if you gonna go spend and make us a winner. You do you!

But nah, he lied, made excuses. At first we thought itw as repeater tax, or maybe some secret superstar were waiting for, but no he continues to just bullshit to any idiots who will still buy his snakeoil. And humanity has progressed SO much with tech and amazing things, but so many things are rinsed and repeated, rhymed and we've never cured stupidity and tilman knows he still has buyers even if his lies are just verifiably false. And I'm rooting and loving our turn around with the young guys, like stone, silas, but tilman still takes the mike and says we went all in lies, deflects, blames...he aint helping himself

its lke the people talking about harden or silas or stone here...yea it makes sense when discussing the team bringing up the people who it revolves around lol, but nah you gus are just obsessed?

Also the longer form writing takes out the twitter warrior type of idiots who don't want to discuss the team, just want to mindlessly cheer.

10. KingCheetah

TF?

DonatelloLimestone likes this.
  11. VoR

VoR Member

What a ****ing idiot you are.

12. clos4life

clos4life Member

Right back at you buddy! LOL

D-rock and FrontRunner like this.
  13. VoR

VoR Member

All I read is: i couldn’t even manage a Taco Bell. God, you’re breathtakingly stupid for so many words.

14. DonatelloLimestone

HAha classic, the guy gets facts wrong. I posted with almost half of the initial oens was actual quotes or facts of our actual transactions
    you can't accept that, have no defense for "tillman is and will spend"
    and so you just resort to insults, no actual response to any content

I agree its long winded and I don't mind if you read it

but I don't mind posting quotes which take a grand total of a miniute or less if you're going to ontinue to be a boot licking ignoramus
    Go for it

Like i said, its pretty remarkable were all connecting on here, humans and technology we come up with are amazing...but we've never been able to fix stupid, and stupid lives on @VoR

Tell me any parts of my post that were wrong, ill happily discuss that...its.all.facts....sorry you cant take that
    and I do hope the dude is at least giving you fifteen percent off landrys or something for the boot licking. Landrys bi*** of the year

15. dmoneybangbang

JUST to make money? No.

It's definitely a factor since the NBA is a business.

16. DonatelloLimestone

Ain't nothign wrong with it. Big part of the owner to make his dough I have no issues. The nba markets off of stars, but they have to perform so this can align our incentives to win and have a marketable star

I got no issue if tilman goes this route, just be sincere and try to win and pay up around green otherwise hes going to take that same jet to another team in 7 years
    LEts go rockets!

17. dmoneybangbang

I also think Green should be #2 regardless of the marketability.

It's not like Green hasn't been a top prospect all year so picking him over Mobley is due to basketball reasons. I think people who don't want Green just want to use this as a negative reasoning, like the OP did.

18. futilman

futilman Member

You’re not wrong. But I do think it’s worth asking if a money obsessed (and perhaps relatively starved) owner is making a crucial team decision based on short term money rather than long term success. Even if we never get a true answer.

DonatelloLimestone likes this.
  19. VoR

VoR Member

Brother, the amount of chatter about Harden wanting Paul and Westbrook out is overwhelming.

Harden is the cancer. He gone. You should leave too.

20. DonatelloLimestone

Yea, I think the draft has never been an exact science. WE all trust and hope the team has more info and if Mobley really is the unique prospect they say, I would pick him regardless of a workout IF we really strongly felt that

Other than that, I'm not sure whats not to lke about Green's prospect. ESsentialyl a high schooler with a pro training who has all the tools and shows growth and the right mindset. He will be exciting adn make money for the rockets, I know sure as hell I'm tuning in every time, and he can be really really good in a league that continues to favor the plymakers

I'm fine with any of them at this poitn except trading down or saving money
    Go get us a new prospect for the next decade, lets go.
    This is stones biggest moment now in his 'ten year plan' lol
    He did a HELL of a job getting us sleepers in KMJ, Tate, Now hes gotta choose form the top with all the hype, different game, but hopefully he has the same success.

and after seeing Silas bring the best out of Kelly, Wood, KPJ, KMJ, Tate and being very flexible and intune to their skill sets, I think silas will be good or great to develop the young guys too.

dmoneybangbang likes this.