1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Tilman want Green just to make money?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by futilman, Jul 28, 2021.

Tags:
  1. futilman

futilman Member

FYI this is not supposed to be a Green v Mobley thread. I want to look at this from Tilman's perspective rather than a fan who actually wants us to win more than anything.

I assume Tilman/Stone have already told Mobley he isn't in consideration and that is why he didn't work out with us. I don't want to believe that we as an organization are so terrible now that Mobley prefers Cleveland at 3 to Houston at 2. So why is Green Tilman's guy?

Green is obviously the more exciting pick. He will probably be the favorite to win next year's dunk contest and someday be a 25ppg scorer. When it comes to who is "box office", he wins in a landslide. Yes, he doesn't pass, play defense, or really make winning plays at all at this stage in his career (I am not saying he never will), but he is a nice show that sells while allowing us to remain the worst team in the league.

Mobley is a Morey-type pick. So much of his value is efficiency- he does a lot that leads to wins but doesn't jump off your screen. Remember 2006 when Morey traded Rudy Gay for Battier? A lot of CF was upset, blinded by Gay's potential over Battier's glue-guy value. This reminds me of that. Mobley is going to hit cutters from the top of the key, alter shots, guard multiple positions and cover pick and rolls better than Gobert from the first day. He's the opposite of Green and would easily lead to more wins next season than JG, thereby lowering our draft odds next year. Basically, a way less fun show that maybe pushes us out of 'worst team in the league' status.

So when you think about this from a business perspective, who is the better choice? Personally, I think it's Green, who will likely draw far more attention in the short term. He's going to be on the ESPN Top 5s and go viral on House of Highlights. He will be far more exciting to young fans and probably sell more jerseys. After all, Duncan never beat Iverson in jersey sales (only championships). Meanwhile, Mobley is going to be in Cleveland as the invaluable glue guy that does everything well and quietly vaults them into the playoffs.

If this is your business, do you do it differently? If KPJ/Green becomes the next Lillard/CJM that ultimately doesn't win anything but is fun and puts fans in seats, that still might be the best business move. Maybe that's all Tilman cares about.

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

[​IMG]

RockHarden, Bo6, D-rock and 7 others like this.
  3. 34to11

34to11 Member

Bobby are you really this desperate?

4. TimDuncanDonaut

Green is the color of money, so there's that.

5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Tilman wants Jalen Green to build a winning team. Winning and money go together like peas and carrots.

[​IMG]

I got pretty lost in the strength of the argument when he was basically like "do you want Battier or Kobe?"

#5 don grahamleone, Jul 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    D-rock, 13 in 33, BigM and 5 others like this.
  6. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

i feel like this is a low key diss to green! lmaoo....

7. The geth & the reaper

8. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Yes, Jalen Green is painted as a Harlem Globetrotter while Mobley is described as so good that he will take the Cavs to the playoffs. This is just a Jalen Vs. Mobley opinion thread lol. Obviously the business move is to get the player who makes you a playoff team so you have more games.

roslolian, Omihall23, Denovo and 3 others like this.
  9. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

We love to build around superstar guards that don't play defense.

10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I think you may be onto something...all i see from and around green is a baseless hype, but the effects of hype sometimes can be real, placebo-like, especially if the refs buy into it, he may turn up even the better player of the two at the end(not winning the FIBA medal tho).

11. VoR

VoR Member

Does owner of billion dollar business want to make money? How dare him?!

Y’all chill with the Tilman hate. He has increased the team salary SIGNIFICANTLY since purchasing the team. He wants to spend more money. He didn’t want Paul gone, Harden wanted Paul gone. He didn’t want Westbrook gone, Harden wanted Westbrook gone. Eventually Tilman got sick of listening to Harden and now the team is rebuilding. When the proper players show up and show out, Tilman will throw down.

RockHarden, roslolian, bmd and 5 others like this.
  12. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I don't know anything about any of these players.

But I went searching for Green highlight videos, and from even those I didn't see someone who is a franchise changer.

What am I missing with him?

13. 7uche

7uche Member

Lol clutch fans is obsessed with Tillman

For all we know it was Stone and Silas that wanted Green.

You think you know better than the Rockets scouts ? (look them up, they’re very smart guys)

14. Dash

Dash Member

I stopped reading at doesn't pass or play defense, y'all really need to watch the film

HTown_TMac, 7uche, roslolian and 3 others like this.
  15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

there you go....good job good effort! rockets fans are so easy to lure into hating anything rockets...criticize tilemen for penny pinching yet they profusely pennypinch with their critical thinking process

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

dun matter, we getting suggs

17. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...-the-worst-contract-hed-ever-seen-per-report/

D-rock, FrontRunner and clos4life like this.
  18. VoR

VoR Member

roslolian and hakeem94 like this.
  19. VoR

VoR Member

The clutch fans mad at Tilman calling him cheap likely never buy tickets even when the Rockets are winning.

20. csc177

csc177 Member

Morey type pick?! When has Darryl ever drafted or acquired someone over 6’6? Lol. Morey would be allergic to a 7 footer