1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Democratic 2024 Presidential Bids & Announcements

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Apr 19, 2022.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

Pete has laughable minority support…he would never win a primary to begin with, but he’s 1 of the names most consistently mentioned showing just how pathetic the candidate pool is

well Trump is the one who will be running in 2024, and the Republican Party will be galvanized and unified behind him…he would slap Pete all across the 50 states

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pete probably belongs in the "clown car" thread instead of this one :cool:

Astrodome likes this.
  3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'm voting Ron Paul

4. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Good Lord, what a mess, I really don't want Joe to run but the alternative of Harris running scares me, she has not been the VP I thought she would be but hell you can say that about any VP. We have no up and comers that will take the reigns.......I'm looking at you Cory Booker. As Jiggy said, Joe has been dealt some heavy blows, he will get hammered on inflation and I am sure the right will tout our exit from Afghanistan even though it had to be done. The big infrastructure deal that got done seems to be a lost conversation and that should be a big win. Joe`s dip in the polls looks bleak and with mid terms on the horizon it could be a long last 2 years stuck in gridlock and nothing will get done because the right will simply block everything that Biden wants to pass.......................and were back to politics as usual, wash rinse and repeat. If Trump is not in jail by the next election I could see him bullying his way to the presidency, his base wont care what he did to get there.

Andre0087 likes this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I think my blindspot might be the minority thing because I just can't imagine him being gay is that much of a turnoff in 2024 but it might just be enough to sway the election but then I think he can take more of the suburban women vote because he is gay and appeals to that demographic as getting behind something new.

I don't think Trump is unbeatable, he has done nothing to get back the suburban white woman demographic he lost to Biden.

I also don't think he has the overwhelming support he once had and will depress turnout because nobody wants to go through that again, but what do I know, I never thought he could win in the 1st place.

6. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

biden is doing the right thing by signaling that he will run again. i think it would be taken as a sign of weakness at home and abroad. and i would think that it would be harder for him to get his agenda implemented if his opponents and even fellow dems know that he is one-and-done.

nothing will symbolize the end of american hegemony more than a 2024 matchup b/t trump and biden. its a sad state of affairs when thats the best we can put out there.

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

whether it’s because of his sexuality or not, all I know is that his support among minorities is nonexistent…I don’t even view him as a realistic candidate

Democrats have been losing Independents, and Trump actually gained a small amount of minority support in 2020…that support has slowly increased during Biden’s Presidency…toss out Pete as the candidate and you’re basically waiving the white flag

it’s not that Trump is unbeatable, he’s a horrific candidate…the Democrats just suck

after they get absolutely abused in the midterms, the next 2 years will be a waste

So what are the Dems gonna run on in 2024? What are they gonna do to excite people to vote for them? Use the “we’re not Trump” strategy again? We’ll see how that goes.

the narrative is focused far more on things like the increase in crime and inflation than some infrastructure bill or whatever else Biden has done

Dems so trash at messaging, how many people even know anything of substance about the bill?

Andre0087 likes this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I can't really disagree with any of this except for the narrative that Dems are trash at messaging.

They don't really have a captive audience and with the way the news is these days they will always go for the negative.

I don't know how the democrats are supposed to message anyway run adds that nobody watches.

I blame the democratic constituency more than anything because we are never really satisfied and tend to ignore the good things that have been done.

Positive messages just don't have the traction negative ones do.

Just look at wage rates and unemployment.

FranchiseBlade and Andre0087 like this.
  9. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

High Inflation Means Rising Tax Bills
    The current run of price and wage increases could tip taxpayers into higher brackets, where they will owe larger slices of their income to the government.

https://reason.com/2022/04/18/high-inflation-means-rising-tax-bills-next-year/

excerpt:

In more than a dozen states where income tax brackets are not indexed to inflation—as they are at the federal level—the current run of price increases could tip taxpayers into higher brackets, where they will owe larger slices of their income to the government. That's because wages will likely continue to increase throughout this year to offset rising prices, while other forms of income, such as Social Security benefits, are obliged to increase in line with inflation.

Jared Walczak, a vice president at the Tax Foundation, calls this "an unlegislated tax increase." While so-called "bracket creep" can affect some taxpayers even when inflation is running at low levels, it becomes particularly pernicious when prices are rising at 40-year highs, as they are right now.

A resident of Delaware who earned $60,000 in 2019 and earns $64,000 this year, for example, hasn't seen her purchasing power increase at all. But because Delaware's highest tax bracket applies to income above $60,000 and the state doesn't automatically adjust its brackets to reflect inflation, the last $4,000 is taxed at a higher rate and so her overall tax bill jumps upwards too.
    more at the link

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We should HAMMER the Repubs with all their crooks, and criminals and pedophiles, hammer HYPOCRISY - and go heavily for popular things like Universal Health - and things that most of the people WANT in this country.

DD

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The most important aspect to consider is the coalition of voter blocks needed in order to swerve off a "Trumped up" right wing base that does have or had many uneducated white non-voters that Trump turned out. That Dem coalition consists of:

-African Americans
    -Young college or 20 somethings
    -older Americans who rely on social services
    -Hispanic & Asian Americans
    -suburban women
    -A sliver of "Independents" in swing states who vote on single issues like farming, etc.
    -Ex Republicans who still believe in Democracy

So they question about 2024 candidates for the Dems would be who holds this coalition together BETTER than Biden?

I get that progressives are pissed that Biden & the figurehead Dems aren't doing more, and don't care about excuses like Manchin, Filibuster, etc. and that's the main reason his polling is so low. Progressives are very demanding so it's a surprise that any of them are giving Biden a vote of approval given that he hasn't yet canceled student debt. However are true progressives going to vote for Trump or Ron DeSantis over any Democrat that runs???... Hell I think a progressive like AOC would still vote for Joe Manchin over Donald Trump even though she wouldn't be happy about it.

So let's leave the polling out of this question, and instead think about two things:

-The Dem Coalition that wins elections
    -Turnout & who gets people on the left off their couch to vote (that answer might be more Trump/GOP Autocrat of the week than Joe Biden or whoever the Dem might be)

jiggyfly likes this.
  12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Also I think Stacy Abrams would be a damn good candidate to run in 24 if Biden announces he's not running after the midterms.

For historical record, LBJ announced he wasn't running in March of an election year. So I don't think Biden would announce anything RIGHT after the midterms, but I don't think he'd wait as long as LBJ did. However there is the primary race that would essentially start right after the mid terms with how they do it now. The risk Biden runs is having a candidate that is the shoe-in essentially running a shadow presidency while he's still in office where the media just talks about Stacy Abram's position or policy as representative of the party while Biden is still enacting policy as sitting president.

It also creates conflict where the candidates are going to be forced into narrative of criticism of Democrats & Biden. So walking a fine line will be tough and that's why it's likely going to have to be someone that is even more of an outsider than Abrams even though I think she could potentially pull it off.

I definitely think Biden could still run and win again though mind you. I don't think there are hardly any voters that voted for Biden that are thinking.... you know what... that Trump guy wasn't so bad after all.... Literally nobody that voted for Biden says that.

#32 dobro1229, Apr 19, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
  13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I think American politics are getting the candidates they deserve. People can complain about or criticize Biden and Harris all they want, but the other party is on the verge of nominating a guy that was impeached twice and tried to overturn the election. And the republican alternative is someone that patterned himself after trump.

I have asked previously for people to name their perfect candidates both here in Texas as a governor, or across the US as president. The governor question has no answers. But here we are talking about presidential candidates... so start naming people you do really like?

I can start... Amy Klobuchar, Roy Cooper, Cory Booker, Pete Buttigieg, Steve Bullock, Michele Lujan Grisham...

And on the republican side (after trump and desantis)... Romney, Hogan. OK, the list is short but perhaps someone on the republican side can add names...

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Good point, I missed the one person that would energize all Democrats it's trump running again, that's more important than who runs as a democrat.

The sad part of all of this is that democrats will not just start voting in mass against any republican, it should not need somebody like Trump to get democrats to vote against republicans in mass.

dobro1229 likes this.
  15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

At the moment it's Biden's if he wants it. I'm not sure if he actually wants it but if he feels in 2023 he is the best shot to keep the WH in Democratic hands he will run again. He's not going to say now, particularly before the Midterms if he won't run again.

If it's Harris my guess will be a serious primary challenge.

I will say again 2024 is a long time and a lot of stuff could happen between now and then. For the Democrats right now worrying about who's going to run in 2024 should be the least of their concerns. They need to govern and if they can do that it will address a lot of their issues.

jiggyfly likes this.
  16. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Joe Biden will be 82 years old in 2024

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

Dem 2024 platform: We’re not Trump

Os Trigonum likes this.
  18. adoo

adoo Member

that was 2020

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

and it will be the same in 2024…they’ve got nothing else

20. adoo

adoo Member

when crawl out of the cave you'll be more informed about

• expansion of ACA
    • passage of infrastructure bill & more
    • climate change initiative
    • foreign policy that actually strengthening our interactions w allies, as opposed to appeasement / azz-kissing of dictators like the war criminal Putin, Kim and Xi

jiggyfly and subtomic like this.