1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dedicated Poll thread.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jiggyfly, Sep 2, 2020.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Well aren't you just a ray of sunshine.:(

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is something that I've been saying for awhile and this isn't just a prediction but it's started already with the the events in Portland that seen clashes between Pro-Trump groups and BLM and other other protester groups. Just this morning I saw on FB a post by someone saying he was in a militia and that his "guns have dust on them now but not for long."

This paragraph in the article is very important:
    "In this context, any one of several possible scenarios risks triggering unprecedented post-election violence. Biden could surge from behind on Election Night to win on the strength of mail-in ballots that President Trump has already dismissed as fraud-ridden, prompting Trump’s supporters to feel the election was stolen from him. Should some Republican-controlled legislatures seek to throw out mail-in ballots wholesale and give their states’ Electoral College votes to Trump regardless of the final vote count, Democrats (and others) would be outraged. There could also be intense anger on the left if Trump wins reelection by once again losing the popular vote but winning by narrow margins in states that give him an Electoral College victory. Congress—itself so polarized—could be hard-pressed to ensure a widely legitimate outcome on its own."

I agree with this solution but think it is very unlikely.
    "The best hope now to tamp down support for this potential political violence is to establish an independent, bipartisan third force—a broad commission of distinguished leaders and democratic elders of both parties and of civil society. Its mission would be to reaffirm and defend our democratic norms, especially the critical principles that every valid vote should be counted and that political violence is never justified in the United States. Congress should immediately appoint such a commission."

Even if such a commission exists I can't see them wielding enough influence that Trump would accept it if it ruled against him.

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

6. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

7. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Really feel like this is going to look more one sided than 08. You have liberals who sat out in 2016 who will be back, you have moderate conservatives and middle of the road voters who are embarrassed and outraged over Trump, then you have those that just want a change after this godawful year, lost their jobs, etc., and I think we will see a strong turnout by younger voters which never goes well for the GOP.

I’m anticipating several red states like Georgia going blue and Texas will be a lot closer than people think.

jo mama likes this.
  8. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. Amiga

Supporting Member

https://www.reuters.com/article/usa-election-poll-idUSKBN26P0DT

Democrat Joe Biden opened his widest lead in a month in the U.S. presidential race after President Donald Trump tested positive for the coronavirus, and a majority of Americans think Trump could have avoided infection if he had taken the virus more seriously, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll released on Sunday.

Among those adults who are expected to cast ballots in the Nov. 3 election, the poll found that 51% were backing Biden, while 41% said they were voting for Trump. Another 4% were choosing a third-party candidate and another 4% said they were undecided.

Biden's 10-point edge over Trump is 1 to 2 points higher than leads Biden posted over the past several weeks, though the increase is still within the poll's precision limits of plus or minus 5 percentage points.

Most Americans continue to be deeply worried about the virus, and the poll found that 65%, including 9 in 10 registered Democrats and 5 in 10 registered Republicans, agreed that "if President Trump had taken coronavirus more seriously, he probably would not have been infected."

Only 34% said they thought that Trump has been telling them the truth about the coronavirus, while 55% said that he was not and 11% were unsure.

Of those polled, 57% of Americans said they disapproved of Trump's response to the COVID-19 pandemic overall, up about 3 points from a poll that ran late last week.

Americans also appear to be largely supportive of curtailing the 2020 presidential race to ensure everyone's safety.

Sixty-seven percent of Americans want to stop in-person campaign rallies and 59% think the presidential debates should be postponed until Trump recovers from the coronavirus.

11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Kinda meaningless, though I’d love the encouraging news. Stay hungry, vote, volunteer, and get ready for a long November of drama.

14. CCorn

CCorn Member

But did people see Trump sign those blank papers?

Biden would never!

#154 CCorn, Oct 4, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly. If Trump does go back to normal and is campaigning by the end of the week not much will have changed. From what I'm seeing also the Republican line now appears to be that lockdowns don't work since Trump got it and him recovering quickly will just mean they double down on that this disease isn't that serious and it's all exaggerated.

16. B-Bob

Agree. Doubling down is what we will see from them until some sort of major reckoning happens, and I don't know what that looks like right now.

McConnell says now we will see an orderly transfer of power after witnessing the results of the election. But if he also benefits by cutting off the counting of mail-in ballots, I see nothing in his character or body of work that would suggest him doing anything but supporting that type of literal vote suppression. November is going to be very trying, unless some miracle of good consciousness emerges in a few surprising Senate republicans. And if their seats and careers are at stake, I just don't see that happening.

I guess an unlikely but clean outcome could be a bunch of swing states looking fairly clear in the Biden column without continued counting of mail-ins. Absent that, it's just going to be stomach churning, and we will probably be envying our CF brethren who have already fled the country. :(

RayRay10 and seemoreroyals like this.
  17. IBTL

IBTL Member

unless it is landslide for biden or trump we are screwed

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. B-Bob

hard to believe people used to scoff at this notion.

RayRay10, AleksandarN and IBTL like this.
  19. Amiga

Supporting Member

Biden is clearly ahead and favorited to win.

It is the very fact that Trump will contest and the Republican Congress, DoJ, and Court are at least in his favor that this is not a repeat of 2016, where people relaxed. It is not even a repeat of 2008, where almost 60% voted. The energy is not to just to win, but to win convincedly so that a contest is not possible. I think 65%-70% will vote, even with covid. You can thank Trump for that energy.

20. IBTL

IBTL Member

yes early voting can be done in person at polling station . its counted and avoid lines on election day

RayRay10, AleksandarN and deb4rockets like this.