1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David Andersen Appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by aussie rocket, Oct 6, 2009.

1. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

he played a terrible game, but from what i've seen in the dozen or so games of watching him in previous years - he will be much better than this after a few more weeks.

he won't be anything near scola for us, but he will be a decent backup.

most notably, he is usually very active and competitive around the basket.....and it looked he like he was really tentative/nervous in this spers game...

2. AzNaNsZ

AzNaNsZ Member

Look I'm sure anyone who plays there first game in the NBA will be nervous and a bit shell shocked.
    I just don't know why people have no patience here look, Anderson is not Yao Ming and will never be but he is good at what he does and that is to draw out bigs and open the lane.

3. rockets2

rockets2 Member

He was terrible with the boomers, wollongong hawks and now in houston.

4. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

terrible thread after a meaningless game.

i get the feeling that the offseason is finally over. :rolleyes:

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Cook or Landry can be just as effective on offense as Andersen showed yesterday. Like I said, he needs to significantly improve.

6. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I had to dvr the game. I worked got home watched it without knowing a thing. I KNEW I would see some Andersen hate the second I logged on. It's kind of ridiculous really. Yes he had a horrible first half, but played much better in the second half. DA didn't shoot at a high clip but I saw someone who I think will get alot of looks at the top of the key and I think when he settles in will shoot well. He had a nice turn around move in the post that I think he will be able to use. I don't expect him to blow us all away but I do believe he will be a solid contributor. His man defense is def lacking but his help defense improved as the game went on. DA will probably not rebound all that well but I also saw some improvement on getting a little better position as the game went on. Remember, it took Scola some time to adjust to the NBA game, it will take DA time too. Be patient. I don't think anyone said he is going to be an all star. aussie rocket I know we did this a while back and you don't think much of him. That's fine, it's not really a dig on you. I respect your opinion. But to everyone that is dismissing him as a scrub, his offensive skills far out weigh those of Dorsey or Chuck

7. Gakatron

Gakatron Contributing Member

Like I said Scolandry will probably be the best combo but it cannot be pulled off against some teams. You're also wrong that Cook and Landry can be just as effective, i'm assuming you base this off one game which makes me wonder why comment at all? Cook can shoot the 3 ball as well as Andersen probably but has NOTHING else, Andersen has decent inside game. With Landry I never said Andersen was better but he is also less effective, while Landry can have some luck with the shot from long range he is no where near as effective and its no where near a strength. Sorry to argue but I just find it moronic judging a player on a preseason game after making the transition from Europe to the NBA. This for example was less than a year ago http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=281019138 but I guess this ONE preseason game is all that matters in judging a player. In 20 games if there is no improvement then sure I will agree with you.

8. spaceage808

spaceage808 Member

Let's not do what everyone thinks youre going to do and.... Freak out!

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think I was clear. They can be just as effective as Andersen showed in his 1st game, and Andersen needs to make significant improvement to justify rotation minutes. There's no assumption there that Andersen will improve or will not improve. I expect he will, but if he does not we shouldn't be surprised if Andersen is behind the other bigs in the rotation. To put it another way, Adelman isn't going to play Andersen just because he's tall. He needs to prove his worth as a basketball player.

10. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

Has anyone played NBA 2K10 yet?

David Andersen looks like Biff from Back to the Future.

11. joesr

joesr Member

I wish we had the thread for Scolas first NBA game.

also, I dont think we picked up Anderson to fill Yao's shoes. I think he might have been picked up for a bit of offense and also more down the road when Yao comes back.

He is more of a shooting PF then anything else and I dont think Morey expected more. your talking about Morey here.

12. van chief

van chief Member

For the Andersen supporters:
    After one preseason game I don’t want to jump on the guy.
    He had a bad game it, it was his first preseason game in the NBA.
    He had some moments of activity in the paint, and showed some range.
    He will have another opportunity tonight against Boston.

For everyone else:
    The primary concern should be Andersen’s size. He is skinny/slight and is going to get destroyed during the season on both ends of the floor. He may have a bad night once in a while but he isn't going to be gaining weight/size during the season.

Now I am no fan of Cook, but Andersen makes Cook look athletic.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Didn't Yao get ZERO points in his first game?

DD

14. rterry

rterry Contributing Member

Anderson will be a reserve at best. So what? That's what we got him for. The fact of the matter is that we are going to suffer greatly with our interior defense until Yao returns. We are just too small. We are going to be dominated on the boards on the defensive side of the ball, which will also limit our fast break opportunities. I think we are going to be 2 deep at every position but center. In my opinion:

Brooks, Lowry - Will be a better than average point guard rotation. They both look like they will break out this year to me.

Buddinger, McGrady, Taylor - Better than average 2 guard rotation. I think McGrady, Buddinger will be outstanding if T-Mac is back. If not I believe Buddinger will be a very good starter in this league, especially when Yao gets back next year.

Ariza, Battier - Average small forward rotation. I know they will probably start together for a time, but Battier will eventually be moved to the bench or traded. They will be way above average on defense, but both are limited offensively.

Scola, Landry - Above average power forward rotation when they have a center. They will be challenged this year because of the lack of size at center.

Center - We have nothing until Yao gets back and this will cause us all kinds of issues this year. We will be brutalized in the paint. It looks like Dorsey is not going to progress which was my lone hope for the position. Anderson will be fine on offense, reminds me of Matt Bullard with even worse defense. Hayes, Landry, and Scola are just not tall enough to dominate on the defensive glass. Take my word, this will kill us all year unless Morey can find a tall banger some place.

1 person likes this.
  15. Serg300

Serg300 Member

Give him some time. Let him shake off the butterflies and adjust to the big bodies in the paint.

But this is funny.

[​IMG]

16. G0 R0CKETS

G0 R0CKETS Member

Yeh he looked horrible.

However, he looked better than I thought he would. Hes going to be o.k. My expectations is that hell get better as will this team.

17. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

First pre-season game. Not a big deal. If halfway through the season, he hasn't adjusted and is still playing like this, THEN it's a problem.

As for right now, no worries...

18. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Let me say this, for the same money and nba production, I wouldve liked Frye. He's soft, but on a rebuilding,reloading, or whatevr adjective u want to use made more sense. When he's in shape and it loooks like he is, cook is a better option. Its been a while, but the dude dropped 30 on the rockets and mavs in back to back games. Its only 1 preseason game, but I didn't see the big deal in andersens and his game especially for a 30 yr old.

19. Shovel Face

Shovel Face Member

yup. :(

20. tobepg

tobepg Member

Frankly speaking, I'm depressed by his performance.
    Knowing european league's players are always facing troubles as they try to play in NBA, I tell myself to be patient.
    There's a long way ahead for him to make the rotation. Overall, he needs improve defensively and offensively.