1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey AS Philly GM

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rocket River, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

hakeem94 and BigShasta like this.
  2. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

PJ Tucker is one of best corner 3pt shooters in whole NBA. CP3, Ariza and Covington were always pretty solid 3P shooters. But it's enough Morey brings in ONE great shooter to Philly (that doesn't defend like all the names I mentioned), and it's enough for you to slander Morey and forget what did he do for Harden and Houston. He was the only one bold enough to build a contender in GSW era, while others would rather wait the dinasty to end.

Yes, Steph isn't a great defender. But you very conveniently take things out of context to prove your point. Steph was surrounded by some of greatest defenders in NBA and was the only weak point in their defense, and whoever was torching him, he could make it up on other end.

We already have a bad - or should I say, disinterested - perimeter defender, and that is Harden. Put Seth next to him, and suddenly you have two bad perimetere defenders that can be abused, and Seth for sure can't compensate his defensive shortcomings on offensive end. Dallas had same problems. He could surround Luka and Seth with good defenders like Maxi, KP and Finney-Smith, and they would get torched anyway.

Short memory of some fans - or maybe lack of respect in some cases - is very very annoying. A player, coach or GM can go from annointed to villified in matter of few days, no matter what did he do before leaving.

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

If those are not elite shooters then you realize how hard it is to get an elite shooter so crapping on Morey for not getting one makes no sense, and lets not forget Anderson was considered an elite shooter.

He was no far from Curry % wise when he got to Houston on many more attempts so do you consider Curry elite

He also almost got Reddick so it was not for lack of trying.

hakeem94, roslolian and YOLO like this.
  4. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

This part alone is what really grinds my gears.

The same idiots would be screaming for his head if he gathered draft picks and missed the playoffs these past few years waiting for the Warriors3 juggernaut to go away.

Nook, Richie_Rich, hakeem94 and 4 others like this.
  5. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Morey continues to shape the narrative for Philly in regards to Embid, Simmons and Harden.

Believe him or not, this messaging appeases their fans and give the appearance of having the leverage in any trade negotiations.

Furthermore this idea that Philly would not include Simmons or Embid in trade discussions for Harden will only serve to depress what other teams will initially offer.

6. lionaire

lionaire Member

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Analytics is based on logic, you can't really point to that as the reason Rox havent won a ring. Rox under Morey have always been contenders, even when GSW was romping the entire league with 4 superstars Rox were seen as their only serious rival, taking them to 6 or 7 games when other teams got swept. Is that illogical? Your team with just 1 superstar and a washed up pg takes a team with 4 all stars including the 2nd best superstar in the league to 6 or 7 games?

Analytics at the end is just a tool. I can give you the best crafted samurai sword but if you are a newb facing a kendo swordmaster you will lose 100%.

If you wanna blame Morey and analytics, it is that they worked TOO WELL. They gave the team false hope that they can compete vs GSW and then future Goat Lebron+AD when all they had is Harden and a bunch of role players. Just compare Rox vs GSW or Lakers man by man and you'll see. Washed Cp3 vs Curry? Mackelmore vs Klay? House vs Lebron? Tucker vs AD? Even our HC Dumbtoni is a bum compared to Kerr and Vogel. LOLOLOL it's a joke how overmatched the Rox were.

If Morey wasnt such a good GM and analytics werent so effective the Rox would have had a similar record to Portland or Nuggets and been able to tank for lotto picks. There's a reason the ink on Morey's contract hasnt even dried but he is already snatched up by someone else.

8. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Yes as you said it is a tool. But one needs to exercise judgement and logic when analyzing such numbers. Your argument just aligned with mine. These are the players Morey obtained. His decisions. These players fit into the system he and MDA crafted. And please. CP3 is far from washed up. A little hyperbolic there. You aren’t addressing the root of the issue. Instead you are saying since we have bad players and that somehow those players worked due to Morey? Not sure what Morey has to do with coaching, Development, or team chemistry etc. The root of the issue isn’t inferior players it is the decision makers that put a system in place and shaped a roster in accordance to that system.

9. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

All DM did was add Green and Curry.... sounds about right. Dude always had that mindset of completing the roster before the trade deadline as if that always worked. Went into every season hoping the current roster played well enough to get you into the top 4 than make trades or pick ups that either never played, didn’t pan out, or had small contributions in the PO. This is one part of DM that I hated and seems to be doing it again in PHI. I mean I get it that roster is pretty good I guess but definitely needs a lot of changes. thw starting 5 as of now is
    • Ben Simmons
    • Danny Green
    • Terrance Ferguson or Matisse Thybulle
    • Tobias Harris
    • Joel Embiid/ Howard
    If you ask me this lineup is ok. But let’s not act like DM did an amazing job with it.

hakeem94 and ashleyem like this.
  10. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

11. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

GM isnt supposed to be concerned with coaching, player development and chemistry not sure why you are putting it on Morey's shoulders. Morey doesnt know anything about coaching and House is a better player than he'll ever be why should he be the one doing player development?

The system which is Morey Ball is not inferior, it is copied by everyone in the league now. If shooting 3s is bad and shooting mid range is great why is everyone looking for stretch Cs and traditional centers are almost out of a job? You talk about logic but when everybody copies your system logically your system is superior, not inferior.

The issue is definitely inferior players. NBA is a star driven league at the end of the day the Rox lose to being out talented. Its not like you have all these superstars available and Morey just chose bad players cmon now. You think if Ariza and Capela loved each other more they would've beat KD and 3 other all stars?

Triangle with Lakers resulted in 3 peat, triangle in NYC resulted in lotto. Same system, different results. It doesnt matter what the system is it is only secondary to player talent.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

People act like the Lakers weren't bombing away from 3

Rocket River

14. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

dude you completely missed the point. What are you even talking about? Lol the more you argue the more you agree with me. Reread all the messages about this between us. You present fallacies. Not every team plays like the Rockets. I never said Morey was responsible for coaching I clearly said MDA was. Your previous statement praised Morey for allowing us a chance and opportunities to win but then say we aren’t as talented? Complete contradiction. Lol Anyway done with this man. You are putting words in my mouth and mis attributing what I never said.

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

You basically said Morey sucks for not winning a championship and that the system is flawed and illogical, too dependent on analytics etc. That's what you said you need to reread what you posted cuz you sure as hell don't agree with me. The only thing we agree on is Dumbtoni is trash, but that isn't on Morey he wanted Joerger, a young, defensive and analytically minded coach. Alexander is the one who superceded him and got MDA as he wanted something fun to watch for the fans. You can't really blame the GM for an owner decision. Btw Joerger joined the 76ers coaching staff as an assistant coach so guess who Morey still wanted to this day?

https://kingsherald.com/articles/ar...y-rockets-dave-joerger-76ers-ty-lue-clippers/

There have already been lots of articles talking about how analytics changed the NBA. It has changed the landscape so why does every team need to copy you before you can say your system is superior? All the top teams are bombing from 3 now, if that isn't proof I don't know what is.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...he-nba-3-pointers-hotter-than-ever/101214898/

https://shottracker.com/articles/the-3-point-revolution

Why is giving you a chance to win but then not being as talented a contradiction? A chance doesn't mean you automatically win already, have you seen Dumb and Dumber? The fact that the Rox had a chance to begin with when they are just a 1 star band is praiseworthy, but at the end of the day they still aren't good enough to win as evidenced by the numerous fails they've had over the year missing 13 3s, the hamstring, Capela getting sick with flu, microball etc. It's always not enough cuz at the end of the day you got James Harden vs 4 all stars or Lebron and AD. You can give Rambo 3 bazookas but he ain't doing **** when the US army drones start bombing him and razing the jungle he is hiding in to the ground.

#115 roslolian, Nov 25, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    OvenToasted likes this.
  16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Thank You

Rocket River

17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Morey's math almost won a 'chip but something called "playoff" basketball happened at the end of every season to screw him and the rox. i hate the idea of "playoff" basketball, a new set of rules, different then the entire regular season, for no ******* reason. but... it's a thing and apparently will always be a thing, celebrated even. that's very different from logic and math in that the rules don't change for logic and math depending on the month, week, or day.

18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Also they act like the Lakers didn't bench their two 7ft centers to play their own version of small ball like the Rockets.

roslolian and Rocket River like this.
  19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Only Difference is that AD is 7 ft.
    Covington had about 5 more inches and we were near the same

Rocket River

DreamShook and roslolian like this.
  20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I call it cheating
    I call it changing the rules to favor the favored teams

Rocket River