1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey AS Philly GM

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rocket River, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

In the last 20 years how many have not come up short?
    Even the great Presti could not cash in 3 mvps

Rocket River.

clos4life and roslolian like this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

God Mode.

3. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Just specifically talking about Morey. If you are a Morey supporter cool. I am not a supporter and reserve my right to be critical of a guy who constructed a team based on a whacked out, over zealous and flawed philosophy the result of which is an imbalanced team that played a predictable offense that never could win it all.

ashleyem likes this.
  4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I am a fan of sorts
    I look at a guy that never (or rarely) missed the playoffs or had a sub 500 team.

2005 San Antonio Spurs Popovich
    2006 Miami Heat Pat Riley
    2007 San Antonio Spurs
    2008 Boston Celtic Danny Ainge
    2009 Los Angeles Lakers Mitch Kupchak
    2010 Los Angeles Lakers Mitch Kupchak
    2011 Dallas Mavericks Donnie Nelson
    2012[f] Miami Heat Pat Riley
    2013 Miami Heat Pat Riley
    2014 San Antonio Spurs Popovich
    2015 Golden State Warriors Bob Myers
    2016 Cleveland Cavaliers David Griffin
    2017 Golden State Warriors Bob Myers
    2018 Golden State Warriors Bob Myers
    2019 Toronto Raptors Masai Ujiri
    2020[g] Los Angeles Lakers Rob Pelinka

So in the last 15 years
    The only ones to cash in and be "GOOD GENERAL MANAGERS" are"
    Masai Ujiri, Greg Popovich, Pat Riley, Danny Ainge, Mitch Kupchak Bob Myers David Griffin Bob Myers Rob Pelinka

Everyone else just sucks .. .correct?

Rocket River

fckbandwagons and roslolian like this.
  5. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

No. Again not about anyone else. I am talking specifically about Morey. No one else. Only Daryl Morey.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So he has one standard . . .that only he is held to . . . everyone else have a different standard. . . . . I got ya

Rocket River

7. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

No. Again not talking about anyone else. This is not difficult to understand. Specifically critiquing Morey. No team in the interview process judges the GM candidate based on other GM’s. They judge based on what has been done and whether they believe this is the guy that will win them a championship. Now that Morey is gone we can critique his body of work with the rockets. I never said he wasn’t effective or had success. The methods were wrong. The philosophy was wrong. And so you had a team coming close once and always coming up short. This is his legacy much like all stars who never win the big one. But again talking about morey’s body of work here. No one else.

ashleyem likes this.
  8. foh

foh Member

If two GMs are available for hire and one's body of work is more impressive than the other, then yea a GM is picked based on other GM's body of work being of inferior quality.

Also when you say "always comes up short" in regards to DM, you are inherently comparing him to the tournament's winners throughout the years.

This stuff is not done in vacuum..

Let's not forget the usual homage that we were CP3 hamstring short of winning a chip. So shouldn't you at least leave out the possibility that the philosophy to Morey's work was correct?

Giving him some credit won't preclude our current GM from succeeding..

Milk Haiir and clos4life like this.
  9. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

No. Again only looking at his body of work. Not comparing with anyone else. The analogy was about focusing on what he has done. I said nothing about comparing to others in the final interview process. You are thinking too much either that or trying to poke holes in my argument. Coming up short meaning not winning the championship. This is the measurement. Not comparing him to any standard for a GM or whether he is better or worse than. And no the Philosophy dictated jacking up 27 3s making zero not to mention creating a ludicrous small ball style of play that burned out in the end.

10. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

And if you read any of my posts I was one of the few that explained that personnel decisions aren’t made in a vacuum. Morey as the lead still had an agenda and priorities he wanted implemented and analytics was a big part of his decision making. Again granted that there was a team of consultants and assistants along with operations people and ownership. As the lead and face of personnel management we hold him responsible.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sinister Gawd.

KingCheetah likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He has made the WCF twice in 13 years.

Finals appearances matter too.

It is not utterly bad but it is also not top tier among those who haven't won it all.

I am biased as a Rocket fan anyway.

Presti isn't much better and he had more talent to work with but Presti's ability to draft is a godsend.

#92 daywalker02, Nov 22, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    roslolian and Stephen_A like this.
  13. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Link? Morey publicly said he voted for Romney but it would be pretty shocking to me if he ever spoke favorably about Trump.

Deckard and clos4life like this.
  14. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Link? That would also be a shock to me.

clos4life likes this.
  15. roslolian

roslolian Member

You always judge based on peers. Ever heard of financial ratios?

How can you say the sun is hot or ice is cold? Thats cuz everything around you is neutral in temperature.

In the NBA we always compare players performance vs each other. The whole draft combine is based on getting measurements to see how draftees compare to each other and past players.

You are right. Morey did come up short. But lots of other GMs also came up short doesnt mean you are a bad GM or just because you got a ring it means you are a great GM already. Presti for example is a great GM as he is showing here and he also doesnt have a ring. Oth Lebron has 4 rings in the last 16 yrs if you are not one of the teams he signed with 25% of available rings are closed to you automatically.

Milk Haiir likes this.
  16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Analytics isnt anything new now. Its being used by every team in the league, it is pretty much mandatory now.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Not my point

18. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

not my point. There’s usage of it and over reliance on it where it defies logic and good judgement. Morey opted to defy logic.

19. juanm34

juanm34 Member

#TeamStoner

Theking likes this.
  20. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

He would be a fool to trade for Harden again

hakeem94 likes this.