1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey AS Philly GM

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rocket River, Nov 18, 2020.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is great at what he does but he is no motivational speaker....I wouldn't hire him as that.

roslolian likes this.
  2. roslolian

roslolian Member

The Process? They quit on the process after 4 yrs and after it gave them Embiid and Simmons, might have also given them Tatum and Porzingis if they didn't fire Hinkie and replaced him with Colangelo. It's the tandem of Colangelo and Brand that made the ownership worn down, those two are the ones who got Fultz and maxxed out Al Horford and also traded for Tobias Harris before maxing him out as well.

The team's fans don't matter, what they want is always win now mode. They'll trade 10 picks to get a star to win this season, and then next year they'll act like they weren't in favor of going big and then getting mad at the mgt for mortgaging their future for the past. Rox are a good example, the biggest train pullers of the Cp3 train were the ones calling Morey the dumbest gm for giving the team one of the worst contracts 2 yrs later.

Lakers fans who won a ring just a couple years ago are now the biggest hater of Lebron and AD.

3. foh

foh Member

It's a business oriented on selling views and stadium seats. Fans do matter. Fans (like people in general) enjoy a good story line. And the story line of Simmons replaced by Brogdon is not as compelling as the one where Harden replaces him. Maxey needs the minutes, so 31 y.o. Curry had to go. Once, Harden's star diminishes, they have home grown stars to get the fans excited enough to continue buying season seats.

Lakers, lost more than half of their roster since 2 years ago and have 0 young prospects to get excited about, so of course fans won't be happy with their Org. Their window had obviously closed and did so rather prematurely.

Remember Daryl getting Lin here before? As much as you hated the guy and his contract, the reason he was here was probably similar to why Daryl is much happier having traded for Harden instead of Brogdon. Look at his fat ass leering in front of a jet. Does he look unhappy to you? Do you see Marks/Durant/Irving posting a same picture with Simmons?

4. PeppermintCandy

IMO Morey put together two Houston Rockets rosters that were solid championship contenders.
    One was naturally the roster around Chris Paul/Harden tandem in its first year.

The other was in 2008/2009 when he brought in Ron Artest for one year.
    That team had a Big Three of McGrady/Ming/Artest and veteran role players like Battier, Barry, Mutombo, Scola, and Hayes. Plus, there were promising young guys who actually contributed, like Lowry, Brooks and Von Wafer.

With Adelman at the helm, that 08/09 team had all the pieces to win.
    But alas, much like the 17/18 squad, injuries killed their chances.

So, by my count, Morey had two definite championship-caliber rosters along with a few other potential ones during his 10-year Rockets tenure. Not too shabby.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

As a business you only need fans to be happy enough to buy tickets and stadium seats. Say the fan happiness is needed to be at 50 to get them to buy a seat, you don't need fan happiness more than that. Philly already have the fan threshold reached as long as they have Embiid healthy. What home grown stars does Philly have right now? Maxey and Thybulle? Those 2 arent good enough to be called stars at best they are at Eric Gordon level, not exactly good enough to get the fans watching in the stands. They aren't even all stars how you expect those 2 to get people watching? If your argument is those 2 are enough to get the fans excited in the future, they're here right now with Embiid right so what's the point of Harden? According to your logic Thybulle, Maxey by themselves are enough to get fans excited, so the 2 of them with Embiid is already more than enough.

You should read your bolded post again, that's what Morey did for the Sixers. Sure the fans are happier today than before but in 2 seasons and when Harden signs his poison pill contract they'll be singing a different tune. With the Lakers, at least Lebron delivered on his promise of 1 more ring. Doesn't matter what they do now, at least they got a ring. But in Philly's case we have to see if the gamble pans out. If it doesn't then their window got closed prematurely. That's what I mean when I say a franchise is a going concern, that's why Lakers chose Kobe over Shaq even though Shaq was the dominant player at the time. If it means taking a lesser but much younger player then ok that's what you do, cuz the longer your window is open the more chances you have of winning.

I dunno what Daryl looking happy or unhappy has to do with anything. I thought you were arguing about fan happiness not Morey's happiness. Morey can always bail on the Sixers in the future so he has no qualms trading away future assets for Harden. He will always be happy cuz in 2 years when Harden sucks and the Sixers are boxed in he can always leave and go to a different team or even retire, he's already a multi millionaire himself with kids who already graduated from college. He can go fishing or w/e for the rest of his life. He's always happy no matter what happens he already got his golden parachute.

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Now you are in here saying Brogdon and a pick are more valuable than Harden?

Really?

D-rock, clos4life and foh like this.
  7. foh

foh Member

i can see that you are bent on winning, so I don't expect to win over ya.

At the same time, I'm sure that a 4 person management team that dealt with fans &GM'ing for ages understands what will make them money now and in long term.

And run-it-back for 5 years with the "dynamic" Brogdon is not it, because Embiid is not expected to be healthy for the duration of that period.

I'm also a bit disgusted at you insinuating that multi-millionaires are inconsiderate and happy by default.

but it's ok. you win

fckbandwagons and D-rock like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The argument was not that he wasn't any good because he is very good at his job.

He just won't be HOF great IMO, he has no real empathy for ordinary players, he is not a draft genius, people do not want to trade with him.

Has a history of pampering Harden which made Harden a sulking idiot and sometimes disappearing act.

He makes silly mistakes like dabbling into political situations.

cheke64 likes this.
  9. PeppermintCandy

I don't know if there is a HOF for basketball executives, but I personally consider him an excellent GM, one of the best of his generation.

And I don't get the argument that people do not want to trade with him when under his tenure, the Rockets was known for constantly making trades. In fact, the criticism that he'd treat players like assets came from the fact he made so many trades.

As for the criticism that he has no real empathy for ordinary players, it probably stems from the fact that he was pretty much willing to trade any role player to improve the team. (Even his precious Battier!) I get that criticism, but at the same time, it seems to be the nature of the business.

I guess this is sort of the case, though I really don't remember Harden sulking until he wanted to force a trade at the end. But even if it is, I'm not sure how much it is the GM's job to deal with the whims of the star players. I would think the fair share of the blame or responsibility would fall on the president of basketball operations and even the owner, no?

IIRC, he mistakenly retweeted something and then he erased it pretty quickly. Afterwards, he apologized for not keeping personal opinions separate from his business sphere, but not for the opinion itself.

You could say Morey's retweet was ill-timed, because it ended up having major business repercussions for the entire league. But IMO that's more because of the hypersensitivity shown by China about any criticism regarding their "handling" of Hong Kong. But I wouldn't say Morey was trying to dabble in any political waters.

#509 PeppermintCandy, Feb 15, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
    jiggyfly, D-rock and daywalker02 like this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The most glaring thing I think is his extremism towards one brand of basketball.

I would advice him to think of himself and trade for more players like Harden, cement his legacy rather than helping Harden only.

He is just too stubborn for this era.

Well, he didn't bring any championships to Houston or any Finals appearances for that matter.

I will remember him for that.
    I remembered Caroll Dawson.

#510 daywalker02, Feb 15, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
  11. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ants-role-in-brooklyn-nets-james-harden-trade

Speaking of catering to players, check out this statement from the article above:

"The short flight from Salt Lake City has made for frequent Vegas getaways for Harden dating back to his Rockets tenure, sources said. He would also stay behind following trips to Los Angeles and meet the team at its next destination. Daryl Morey afforded Russell Westbrook the same frequent flight privileges as Harden. And the Sunday before this year's trade deadline, Harden returned from Vegas to Denver but showed up late for the Nuggets game as well."

There's a reason why he wanted so badly to be back with his boy Morey...dude would let him get away with murder. I guess rightfully so given he pretty much made Morey relevant.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

If you are looking at it over a long period of times, yes as Harden at 32 yrs old is already on the decline and his salary is gonna increase rather than decrease. When he signs that new 5 yr deal Harden is automatically gonna become one of the worse contrscts in the L like what happend to WB, CP3 and Wall.

In terms of value, I'd say Brogdon, lotto pick+Seth Curry, Drummond and 2 frps combined package is also more valuable than 1.5 yrs of 32 yr old James Harden.

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

MDA also waiting in wings.

Let's see if Doc can avoid adding to his historic playoff losses after being up 3-1.

No other HC has done this 3 times.

And counting.

jiggyfly and fckbandwagons like this.
  14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Posted this in a different thread, but meant to post it here:

Fun interview:

A few nuggets in there for Rockets fans. He mentioned that there were times in the past where he wasn’t aligned with ownership and/or coaches (not shocking, but don’t think I’ve heard him admit this before). Also said that there were situations with Harden in the past where he wasn’t clicking with another top player on the team and so he had to move that player.[

D-rock likes this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Morey after that Mickey Mouse ring

Daryl Morey Favors 58-Game Regular Season, One-And-Done Playoffs

In an appearance with Colin Cowherd on Volume Sports, Philadelphia 76ers president of basketball operations Daryl Morey proposed radical changes to the NBA schedule. Morey is in favor of changing both the regular season schedule and how the NBA Playoffs are run, in hopes of boosting ratings for both.

After Cowherd suggested shortening the regular season slightly and returning to best-of-five series in the first round of the playoffs, Morey upped the ante.

“You’re too timid, but you gotta go farther,” Morey said. “I like 58. Every team plays every (other) team two times. The playoffs, I 100 percent agree, shorter is better.”

The playoffs are where Morey took things to another level.

“I would have it one-and-done,” Morey said. “There’s a reason everyone tunes into every game at huge ratings in the NFL. It is literally one-and-done. And the NCAA Tournament, in 63 games, gets more money than we do in our entire regular season."

Morey said the goal should be to surpass the Super Bowl in popularity.

“Any sport should want more games that are close to the Super Bowl," Morey said. "Nothing’s going to beat the Super Bowl for a little while, though I think the NBA can pass the NFL in my lifetime for sure for their biggest game being a big deal.”

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  16. vince

vince Member

Morey is a elite GM, and he gets to the vision he has with some stubbornness. I know he frustrates fans, coaches, ownership, media, etc., but he sticks to that plan he formulated that will lead his team to victory.

He said it well before we had Harden, that you need superstars to win in this league. Yet superstar aren’t readily available. And the Rockets had Kevin Martin, not a superstar. With stubborn Les Alexander never wanting a full rebuild, Morey got him a superstar without a rebuild (he did it by having assets). That Morey was honest about acquiring assets was genial, yet many had feelings hurt about this.

Every year he’d make adjustment deals to bandaid team needs, just to help the team’s chances. Most of those deals were positives, though few were ground breaking.

Some argue that he has never had a championship winning team. Well, that’s quite hard, when even independent third party analysts revealed that there was a real mathematical disparity in how Rockets and Warrior series were officiated. The league was very favorable to the Warriors, and after that it became air apparent that the NBA is a cross between WWE and Olympic Gymnastics in terms of outcomes and championships. (Shaq/ Kobe Lakers vs the Divac/Webber was another one were refs swallowed whistle for a biased result; it’s not just against the Rockets)

I’ll still watch basketball, but it’s like watching wrestling, it’s real athletes, but tinkered outcomes.

After the NBA ridiculed him about his hiring the 3rd party analysts, I think Morey brought up the Taiwan issue, which caused the NBA major humiliation.

Hence Morey proved once again, the NBA is an edited show for entertainment and not the quest for the best basketball championship. It’s fun, just like Hollywood movies, but there is a certain level of predetermined outcome.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

hmmmmmm...

D-rock likes this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Ra-fel has Daryl beat as a motivational speaker.

For epileptics...

... and addicts going through withdrawals.

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. roslolian

roslolian Member

I consider Morey an above average GM however he has a tendency to gamble and sacrifice future assets for a bigger chance to win in the present.

Guys like CWood and Robert Covington should have been talents the Rox scooped up and groomed over a period of time like what GSW did for Kevon Looney and Jordan Poole. Hell, even GP2 was discovered on the RGV. Morey doesnt really care about having a pipeline of talent for his team, if the prospect doesnt shine in 1 season like Capela they getbooted out for vets.

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Even an above average GM is heads and shoulders greater than Stone.