1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey AS Philly GM

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rocket River, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Best at what? Don't you have to actually WIN to be the best at anything? Remind me again what he has won in his life? Definitely zero as a player as we know his dorky ass didn't make it past T ball and little dribblers.

He might be the best at taking the longest to lose his virginity. That's about it.

cheke64 and hakeem94 like this.
  2. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

This isn't a theory, it's a fact. Any time he wasn't getting foul calls or things weren't going his way he checked out. Especially on the defensive end.

LosPollosHermanos and Jontro like this.
  3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Sure but again this is Morey's MO of sacrificing the future for a large win now bet. Harden and Embiid are a good duo but I don't see how the 2 of them are gonna win a ring given they haven't played together and the roster isnt' full of elite shooters and defenders which is what you really need for a duo like that to work.

This is practically a repeat of the Cp3 and Harden tandem except with a much worse cast. You can also see what will happen, Morey will extend Harden with a poison pill contract and then Sixers will be hosed, and then Morey will go and work at another franchise while they are stuck with washed Harden.

I'm not the biggest Simmons fan, but he complements Kyrie and KD way more than Harden. Add Seth Curry and 2 picks on top of that its pretty obv Nets won this trade. Maybe Im wrong and Sixers win a ring, but the odds are stacked agsinst them imo.

#483 roslolian, Feb 11, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
  4. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

How can you say the Nets won this trade? Simmons wasn't even playing for the Sixers. They essentially traded Seth Curry for James harden. How can they not be better.

D-rock and jiggyfly like this.
  5. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

It can be debatable if the Kings or Pacers package that were floating rumored would be better, but can't say the Sixers lost this trade. It's like if the Texans traded Deshaun Watson and got Russell Wilson in return. A declining star is still more useful than a younger star that won't play at all.

Harden's extension afterwards however is going to be a whole 'nother story.

#485 br0ken_shad0w, Feb 11, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
  6. csnerd84

csnerd84 Member

If Morey is really smart then he wont give the max offer to him unless they win a championship.

7. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Morey will give him the max he can't help himself when it comes to Harden.

8. hakeemthagreat

Exactly. I believe he pays a couple of ppl here to praise him, which is why he's rarely criticized. But he's created a crybaby and quitter in Harden and I think his way of catering to his stars is horrible for the league

Htown Stros likes this.
  9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Because as good as Harden is he is old, Cp3 old. He will be getting a poison pill contract in Philly after next season and make more than he ever made his entire career.

Morey went from asking for 4 picks, 3 swaps and a young player for Simmons to giving up 2 FRP and Seth Curry in addition to Simmons for 1.5 seasons of James Harden. Bruh that's a 6 pick, 3 swap swing in trade value. How's that a win? Thats like Schroder asking for 100M and then getting 5M.

Imagine if Morey accepted the Brogdon+lotto pick for Simmons trade. He'd have a younger, more balanced team and still kept his depth and picks.

As for the Nets they lose Harden but they get Simmons who will defend and playmake and not have to worry about shooting. In terms of shooting, they got Seth too as a catch and shoot target for Irving and KD. Plus they got 2 frps on top for even more depth.

B-Bob likes this.
  10. foh

foh Member

Who was giving him 4 picks and 3 swaps.

This has to be compared to Brogdon and a pick and it all depends on whether Harden can outperform Brogdon for next two years - the likely timeframe when Embiid is still healthy.

Sixers kept their top young prospects, so they'll be fine even if the win now approach fails.

Curry thing hurts but it is the price of not having to deal with Simmons drama no more and Sixers get to say that they got the better player in the trade, so there is an ideological win to keep their spirits up this season as they chase championship

11. foh

foh Member

Everyone in the league knows by now that Simmons wasn't going to play for sixers on a championship level that he MIGHT be capable of. Harden was the only leverage point Morey had to demand max player type of return for Simmons.

Simmons was damaged goods on Sixers - a publicly known fact. Morey did a good job getting Harden level player with that in mind.

D-rock and jiggyfly like this.
  12. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Harden is only 32. And his game was never about athleticism. Once again Ben Simmons didn't even play for them.

literally the 28th pick in this year draft is gonna be useless to the 76ers anyways. And they kept all their young studs like Maxey and Thybulle.

This one of those trades that oddly benefits both teams greatly. Simmons on the Nets is a better fit and Harden in 76ers is a better fit. No one was giving up 6 picks for Simmons. If he had that offer he woulda accepted it.

think of it this way. The Nets traded 3 first and 4 swaps Levert and Allen for Harden. Levert and a Allen both traded for another first. So essentially they traded 9 picks for Harden and only got back 6 picks. Pretty sure that means they lost the trade.

D-rock and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  13. roslolian

roslolian Member

Those are two separate trades. It's like when the Rox traded for Russ they got massively ripped off on that trade but when they traded him to Wizards for Wall they got a W on that one.

Harden is only 32 the same way Cp3 was only 32 when we got him amirite? And Cp3 had less treads on his tires than Harden who was always hard carrying his team night in and night out. Harden wasn't the only target for Simmons so to say they won the trade simply because Simmons wasn't playing doesn't really make any sense. Sure the 4 picks and 3 swaps weren't on the table but Malcom Brogdon and a lotto pick were. You can argue Harden is far removed from Malcom but at least Malcom is younger and the money they'll save they get other pieces to complement the team. That's how Milwaukee won a title they didn't out star other teams cuz the guy they have is an MVP candidate already.

Morey is a gambler, his MO is always betting the future of the franchise for win now bets. Let's see if it pays of this time because it didn't during his tenure on the Rockets.

14. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

How does this help PHI? Harden is one of the worst pairings you can pair with Embiid. He's adding a malcontent (and he's been around him to make matters worse). And you lose one of the best glue guys in the league in Seth Curry.

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

lol why only 2 years? Sixers are a continuing concern they aren't gonna fold and close down in 2 yrs. Even if Embiid starts breaking down they can trade him or w/e and reload. Brogdon and Harden shouldn't be a direct comparison as Brogdon is only 29 yrs old and making half of what Harden makes. You have to factor in who they could have signed with that extra money as well as who they could have gotten with the lotto pick being offered.

They have 2 young prospects Maxey and Thybulle. Those guys will want good money once their contract is up it's gonna be hard to afford those if they are paying Harden and Embiid super maxes. Thybulle is an amazing defender but he has a broke shot, only averages 5 pts and doesn't really rebound either only gives you 2 rebs a night. Maxey is a bit better scorer but then he is too small to defend guys on the perimeter. So while the 2 prospects are decent I wouldn't say they are good enough to be called studs or be expected to carry the team when Embiid goes down.

I'm not a Sixers fan so I don't really care what happens to that teams but if I were I wouldn't like how Sixers again got boxed in to an extremely short window when there wasn't really a need to. Sure the Sixers are better now than they were before the trade, but it doesn't make them title favorites and then their window is only 2 yrs lol. I don't think its worth it.

16. foh

foh Member

There are like four decision makers on the Sixers' side. They have hands-on ownership, who I'm sure appreciates the fact that the bet is high risk & high reward, win-now type of bet. I'm guessing the Process has worn them down and they want to see some results. Losing to Atlanta last year must've been traumatizing :)

I think considering that everyone feels like they've lost something in this process - both the teams and the star players, it was really a balanced trade. That's what the media's portrayal of behind the scene dealings suggests anyway.

Harden's reputation took a big tumble during all of this and it's not like he was loved here or anywhere before it... If he cares about his legacy, he will hopefully try to shape up in short term. Same goes for Simmons.

The teams' fans are going to be happy for a while - they are the real winners here. I doubt they'd be as excited if the trade was for Brogdon

17. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

That's a terrible example. CP3 was amazing when we got him. Heck he's still amazing right now. Rockets wish they still had CP3. I think Harden in a recovery year like CP3 was his second year and Houston. Took CP3 a full year to recover from that hamstring injury.

18. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

Because Harden's attitude sucks and Curry's positive influence uplifts a team.

19. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Harden attitude is no worse than Simmons.

I can't believe people on this board actually think Harden is worse than Seth Curry now...

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

That's part of the package lol. If they got a guy like Malcolm Brogdon and Duarte then the benefit for them is they're gonna be young, improving and on the cheap.

It's ahigh risk, high reward gamble. If they win a ring then ok its worth it. If they don't then they just closed the window on contention. Either way I still think the Sixers lost the trade cuz they closed their window prematurely whereas if they got Brogdon and a pick they would have 5 more years left.