1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey AS Philly GM

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rocket River, Nov 18, 2020.

1. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Did he scout Ben Simmons?

B-Bob, Easy, roslolian and 1 other person like this.
  2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I love this move for 76ers!
    A classic morey.
    And a prime example that all you have to do is to tank for 5 years straight and all your problems will be solved and you gonna be a perennial champion...
    so yeah, i am in favor of rockets tanking again this year, i am hearing this years draft is stacked!
    perhaps we can even get ourselves an embiied type of talent?

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Tilman LTS strikes again!

cheke64 and hakeem94 like this.
  4. roslolian

roslolian Member

This type of strat looks good in theory but in reality no trade ever happens and Morey is left holding the bag.

Thats why he wasnt able to flip Simmons for Harden before the season started. He also turned down a reasonable offer of Brogdon+FRP for Simmons and made dumb AF offers to Tor, SAS and GSW. Now Simmons reported doesnt wanna go to the team and doesnt even wanna talk to anybody on the Sixers.

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...of-trades-how-much-did-they-help-the-rockets/

In 13 seasons as general manager, Morey completed a whopping 77 trades. Only one NBA team — the Philadelphia 76ers, who at one point were helmed by Morey’s protégé, Sam Hinkie — made more swaps during that time.

But was all the moving and shaking worth it? Did Morey’s wheeling and dealing actually add value to the team? Short answer: yes. Longer answer: yes, a whole lot.

B-Bob, vince, MorningZippo and 2 others like this.
  6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol Morey love Jordan Hamilton type of moves that leads nowhere

javal_lon and cheke64 like this.
  7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am not surprised that he made more trades than any other GM in the league. Pretty much every trade rumor had Houston in it. (Okay, I exaggerate. But you get the drift.)

Morey is like a gambler who keeps making bets after bets, small bets, large bets, and hope that some of them will cash out. Over the years, he won some and lost some, wins a bit more than losses but mostly in small bets. His biggest win, and arguably the only big win, is of course the Harden trade. I've always asked, what would Morey's Rockets legacy be if the Harden trade didn't happen?

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I guess I don’t remember the ledger for Moreys moves exactly the way you describe it. The article seems to paint a different picture. It even specifically mentions how even outside of the Harden trade he had some very valuable moves.

Besides the point is I think it’s a bit inaccurate to say Morey, the 1 single GM who made more trades than any other during his tenure, had a flawed strategy that often left him “holding the bag with no trade made”. Dude made trades constantly and was criticized for it on this message board for being so trigger happy on deals.

As far as if the Harden trade never happened, yeah if you assume it never happened and just erase it from the resume, he probably gets canned half way into his tenure. But then you go down the wormhole of if the Harden trade doesn’t happen, what kind of trade would he have eventually made if given the time? We were predicted to be one of the worst teams in the league that season prior to the Harden trade. Maybe he uses the pick he sent to OKC for Harden to draft….Giannis lol

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

After the choke job last season, I doubt any of his teammates want to talk to him either. There are WNBA players with bigger balls than him.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This part I can agree.

11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

imho most often than not he held the bag on significant trades, trades that had huge potential or were game changers, and was trigger happy with the trifling ones...

roslolian and Easy like this.
  12. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Classic reminder that the way you perceive events and the underlying reality are always different. I mean, this is almost the exact opposite of what actually happened, lol.

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

Ok so can you tell me exactly what happened since you said this is the exact opposite of what I said?

Last I checked Simmons still on Sixers team. Cmon man tell me exactly what happened and lets see if you right or just talking full of ****.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Morey made a lot of trades, thats one of the reasons I liked him as a GM. He was always active and he gave the team something to talk about.

But majority of those trades while they helped the team arent really big trades right? Some of those hurt the team like acquiring Ty Lawson, Sweet Lue and Cp3 (overall, since we got rid of him before we recouped those assets we gave up for him and to trade him).

They arent needle mover trades apart from James Harden and Rafer Alston for Kyle Lowry. For the needle mover moves he would whiff but reports are Rox were close or in the mix. These include:

1. Trading up for Brandon Roy
    2. Trading up for Cousins
    3. Trading for Dwight
    4. Botched Pau Gasol/Nene trade
    5. Trading for Rubio
    6. Whiffing on Lebron, Kd, Melo (3x) remember they even pissed Lin off cuz they gave Melo his no on the banner
    7. Whiffing on Dwight (2x) Not sure if Ipad was for him or Melo or Bosh cant recall clearly anymore
    8. Whiffing on Al Horford and then Kent Bazemore
    9. Not even being in the mix during KD free agency
    10. Letting Ariza walk without SnT

These are just stuff off the top of my head. Morey is a good gm but he isnt a great gm he has his flaws and one of those seems to be being too optimistic at times.

Etc.

#434 roslolian, Aug 22, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
    Jalen Green OnlyFan likes this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

getting paid from another job to start his own business. Philly should fire him on the spot.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I knew Morey would venture into other sports, baseball, football, soccer, E-sports, hockey.

18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Morey finally in his end game.. Morey's whole reason for being a GM is because he thought he wouldn't be able to own a team.

i3artow i3aller and hakeem94 like this.
  19. omgTHEpotential

I might have been overrating Morey a bit when I said that losing him would set the Rockets franchise back a decade or two. But, Stone is doing just as good of a job if not better.

Easy likes this.
  20. i3artow i3aller