1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Copa America centennial-2016

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by K mf G, Jul 17, 2014.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Only problem with both is that they lose the ability to stretch the defense like they did last night. I don't think they have the replacement for Wood so I'm not entirely sure the best way to handle it. It'll likely be some variation of the 2 that you guys posted. I wasn't impressed with Besler's performance last night. I feel a little more comfortable with Johnson in the back line knowing that Brooks and Cameron are there. Nagbe should definitely start so that they have someone in the midfield capable of creating.

2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

brooks has grit and luck. for him to come away with nothing is a joke. that's easily a yellow, maybe a red. dude flies in with a forearm/elbow punch/push into the back of arroyo who isn't even looking. all class and a bit of luck!!!

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

How convienent of you not to show the part that caused the melee. Valencia kicking Bedoya well after the play was dead is the reason any of that started. Had there been no reaction from the US, you'd then call them pu**ies for not standing up for their player.

And Brooks' was just a push. Not sure where you're seeing anything remotely looking like an elbow or punch. If anything, Arroyo should've been shown red too for going to Jones' face.

4. ipaman

Nope, what Valencia did was dirty and got a deserved sending off. But nobody has ever called the Ecuadorians classy. But USA fans go off on other classless (Donovan did it on the telecast) teams while going on and on about how classy the USA is. And LOL at classy, gritty, The German Thumb, Brooks. No way he should be playing in the semis and maybe even that last 40+ minutes of that game.

Also, how convenient of you to ignore Dempsey's classy language and Zardes classy dive.

5. smr6

smr6 Member

My post was directed at something that transcended the game, and sports. It was about recognition of a tragedy that happened in our own country that our team decided to show support for that community as a symbol of solidarity for our nation.

You come here to instigate and argue about a simple comment over a tribute for a tragedy. Stay out of here if that is all you care about.

6. ipaman

You called the USA classy (like most obnoxious USA fans) and I provided evidence to disprove that. In fact, I provided more evidence than you did. USA fans love to call out other teams classless acts but never admit that the USA team does those same things. Just admit that all teams do antics at some level and it has nothing to do with class and get off your high horses. You can't have it both ways.

Although I did think the armband was cool.

7. smr6

smr6 Member

Neither lineup is optimal by any means, but it's the best I feel we can throw out there. Wood is essentially irreplaceable for us out there considering what he has done all tournament. We will absolutely suffer from him missing, and the quality of the likely opponent won't help on top of that.

8. smr6

smr6 Member

I was referring more to US Soccer as the federation rather than the individual players. I assumed that the decision for the armband had been pushed down and presented to Bradley from above.

9. ipaman

Captain Chuck Blazer, the corrupt, lying, cheating, rat has shown how classy the US Soccer Fed can be :p

[​IMG]

Seriously enough with using class all the time. Especially the "we're class and everyone else is classless" shtick. It was a nice gesture and that's it.

10. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I am not sure where you get your info but you must know some obnoxious USA fans but I would say a majority of fans wouldn't necessarily call our team "classy". We have some guys that are fiery and make mistakes just like everyone else. However, all of the acts that you pointed to the USA players of doing cussing someone out (so what? ever played sports?), falling/diving (I find it annoying but we don't make a living out of it), pushing someone to take up for a cheap shot on a teammate (again, so what, that is sports). If it was our player that kicked a guy well after the play from behind I would be just as pissed as I am at the Ecuador player. Maybe not all US fans would say that but most would. Even saying that, it is soccer and these things happen especially in major tournaments so I don't think any less of Ecuador than I did before the game started.

Anyways, I don't want a bunch of choir boys on my team so yeah occasionally the players are going to do stupid things and they should be scolded for it but if they are doing anything dirty as the initial instigator I will call them out on it just like most US fans should. I am sorry if the US fans you know are not this way or if you listen to Landon Donovan and assume he speaks for the rest of the country or something.

11. ipaman

Not sure where?!?! How about here and anywhere else you find USA fans posting their opinions. Just wait until some Argentina player pulls the same **** ya'll do. Ya'll won't call it GRIT I can tell you that. Anyway, I've made my point and history has shown that on the whole, the USA fan base is one of the most hypocritical in the world of football.

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Oh no an athlete used bad language during a game. What a classless prick. :rolleyes:

13. ipaman

hang on now, it depends. what he american or not? must know before determining class or classless.

14. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

It looks like you just browsed this thread looking to pick a fight as soon as you saw someone use the word "class."

15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I'd rather be known as hypocritical than being known as the fan-base that brings bags of urine and feces to games so they can throw them at opposing fans/players.....

And for the record, that Zardes dive was pretty embarrassing. He should be ashamed.

16. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I must say, I have never called a player classless in any sport playing for any country that used a curse word. Anyone who does that has no passion or competitiveness in their body at all. Again, I am sorry you view Americans as hypocrites like this but the people I hang around (in the Country of Texas) do not act this way. Maybe you know too many hypocritical Yankees or something?

17. ipaman

Looks can be deceiving. That said, I don't like hypocrites. USA players and fans are just like everyone else's (not russian LOL) except they have a holier than thou attitude.

I provided proof including video while you only provide conjecture based on urban myths.

Regardless, I'm moving on. I look forward to your match up with the diving, cheating, classless Argentinians.

18. ipaman

I'm trying to move on but I don't want to be rude and not respond. American Outlaws is a good start if you want to look for yourself.

19. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Understood, it wouldn't surprise me as I don't know much about the American Outlaws but they mostly look fat like they have never played a sport in their lives.

20. smr6

smr6 Member

You are generalizing a fan base, and picking out a comment made by me about on specific gesture. Then you are applying your view of the fan base to me. Show me where I have called another fan base or group of players classless?