1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

College Football Week 13

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ItsMyFault, Nov 22, 2010.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Irrelevant to this discussion, and that's far from the only example.

What about Oklahoma State? They have fewer future NFL'rs on their roster than Texas, lost a lot of their key guys last year from a team that wasn't that great to begin with, play in the same divison, yet are effectively playing for a BCS game this year, rather than a 5-7 disaster. Why? Cause they have a plan on offense and execute it and are able to do it without needing NFL talent to do so.

2. Major

Major Member

Oregon isn't doing what they are doing with 5 star recruits all over the field. They aren't 2-stars, but they certainly aren't UT or USC-quality recruits. They are simply out-scheming people.

You pointed to Rice as your example - they play an easier schedule than Boise. Besides which, every time they face a more talented team, they consistently outscheme them.

3. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Maybe Texas should pay more attention to in-state talent.

http://www.burntorangenation.com/2010/10/21/1767043/envious-thoughts-on-the-oregon-offense

The two stars on offense are two players from the state of Texas who weren't recruited by the home-state Longhorns. Quarterback Darron Thomas, a redshirt sophomore from Aldine, was a four-star recruit and one of the top dual-threat quarterbacks in the class. Rather than going after Thomas, Texas recruited three-star Riley Dodge that year, a player eventually de-committed and ended up at North Texas playing for his father, eventually moving to wide receiver. #Fail

LaMichael James didn't register on the Texas recruiting radar after the early part of the process, as the Longhorns opted for Tre' Newton and Jeremy Hills and were spurned by Darrell Scott. Newton has been a solid, if unspectacular contributor, while Hills has done virtually nothing. The Longhorns probably figured that James couldn't pick up the blitz well, but somehow Oregon manages to scheme around that by not asking him to do things he can't do. Amazing.

4. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Yeah, but this is the first year they've "dominated". They're top 15-20 in recruiting classes, same goes for Oregon.

As for the Boise argument, they have good coaching, but tell me; who are the last 5 teams to win the title. It was teams with top recruiting classes and pretty good coaching. Florida, Bama, UT, LSU

5. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I think Texas has been recruiting just fine and you are going to have a lot of "misses" all the time. I remember us Aggie fans during the late 90s lamenting that we passed on Drew Brees as a stud QB was really all we were missing. Its just going to happen.

Simple fact is that if you recruit the 4 and 5 stars, you have a higher percentage chance that they are not going to be "misses". As others have said, coaching makes a huge difference, but the quality of players you get sure makes coaching a lot easier.

6. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

very nice. I haven't kept up with Texas recruiting that much this year but from the games I've seen I haven't been very impressed with your O-Line.

7. SamFisher

Again, irrelevant, it's not about domination...it's about being able to actually win games without having all-timers at the skilll positions. That's something that Oregon, TCU, Boise State, have all been able to do this year. Perfectly. It's something that many teams, even not-especially well coached ones like LSU, Oklahoma state, etc, are able to do.

There are many teams with talent that is far, far worse than Texas from either a recruiting or an NFL draft standpiont that are going to finish far better than a 5-7 disaster this year...........what does that tell you? That the cupboard is bare?

8. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Oregon has a decent recruiting class so I don't see how you can bring them up.

Who said the cupboard is bare? I've been bashing our coaching but it's obvious that we don't have anybody on our team (offense mostly) that is experienced and good enough to carry alot of the load. I don't see why people are getting so upset when I say that we're finally getting a good 5 star running back that might help us get significantly better next year.

9. SamFisher

And therein lies the problem, you don't need a 5-star running back if you're Oregon, or Boise State, or Oklahoma State, or Texas Agricultural & Mechanical, or if you're the vast majority of the dozens of teams that were able to field a far more competent squadron of football players than the University of Texas this year.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

SMU just won CUSA West with an OT victory over ECU tonight.

Don't know if there are any pony fans on the BBS, but congrats, much happier it went to them than Tulsa and Todd Graham.

11. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Damn good football games so far!

Fun game last night with the Aggies. Enjoyed every minute of that one, and the Bama game today.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Bad INT by the Arizona QB. They don't want Oregon to take the lead.

13. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think that is the first safety I've seen all season.

14. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

What a bogus call. The fix is in: Oregon has to win.

15. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Fitting justice for Oregon to fumble there. That was seriously the worst call I had ever seen.

1 person likes this.
  16. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

Another garbage call.

17. The Cat

Fortunately it didn't end up mattering, but yeah... how exactly can an offsides penalty be offset by a hold on the offense? :confused: The hold was necessary to save the QB, due to the offside! It should be like a false start in which the play is dead, at least if the lineman has an unabated path to the QB (which he did).

18. The Cat

Oregon leads one heck of a charmed life. Against Cal, a shanked 29-yard FG (after a false start on the kicker) provided the winning margin.

Against Arizona, a badly missed field goal of their own is negated by an inexcusable offsides penalty, which single-handedly turns a 20-19 game to 27-19.

I think Auburn would crush Oregon, if they survive tonight.

19. Major

Major Member

I think this'll be a really interesting game. The two teams are basically mirror images of each other. Explosive offenses that start slow. Suspect defenses. Don't care about being down huge.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

No one staying up and watching the Boise-Nevada game? :p

24-21 Boise right now. Nevada driving. 8 minutes and change left in the game.