1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] The numbers are clear: Patrick Beverley deserves to start over Jeremy Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 21, 2014.

1. HoopFan

HoopFan Member

Well. You are not them. So you can't juge sb simply because you did not think like them. If you read the entire thread, you will realize there are plenty who did interpret that way (actually from both sides who favor Lin or PB). I agree with the essence of Clutch's article. But I would have done it a little more subtly. If you think about it, Lin and PB are indeed exchangble. Both are good NBA players and both are valuable to the Rockets. I don't think there is much dropoff with either starting for the starting unit. So this is why I think either of them deserves starting.

I am simply trying to make peace here :grin:so we don't have to endure endless personal attacks and insults. I know it is a daunting task. But if I can convince 1 or 2, I'd consider it a success :grin:

2. Clarinetmonster

McHale said the same thing at the beginning of the season - something like 'we've got 2 starting point guards, which is a nice luxury to have' - it's just that they've decided to start one of the starting PG's and bring the other off the bench. I think the minutes will favor either player depending on who is p=more effective that game/matchup. It's all good.:cool:

3. hollandog

hollandog Member

I don't get why is this guy hasn't been banned yet. with all the insulting and personal attack.

4. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Enjoyed the article. Loved the tone. Great mix of numbers and comments.

“One of the challenges with our starting lineup is, with James and Dwight and others in that lineup, it’s hard for (Jeremy) to be in full attack mode and that’s when we think he’s at his best,” said Rockets GM Daryl Morey on SportsTalk 790 last week.

I wonder how much of this is mental with Lin. I have thought that he is a scoring point who instinctively attacks to score and makes plays off that instinct. But with other scorers on the floor he has to tackle those other aspects of playing point like making sure guys, who always think they are open and hot, get the ball. Balancing the responsibilities to coach the floor was a challenging process for Chauncey Billups, too. Does Lin really need to dominate the ball to be effective? Seems the team is at its best when guys attack and dish with a minimum of dribbles. Neither Lin nor Harden need to over dribble while the defense sets.

But, as the article points out, there is much the team can gain by having Lin play a Ginobli role, especially given that no one else apart from Harden has the ability to bring instant offense.

2 people like this.
  5. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

1. I retaliate when people insult me or the Rockets. If they want to ban me for that they can go ahead.

2. As long as Lin fans are civil and keep their Lin fantasies checked at the door, I am civil with them.

3. I am not the dumbass running making threads about Lin or accusing people of being racist or hoping for other players to fail or wanting Harden to come off the bench to develop Lin.

Am I confrontational and crass at times? Yes. Will I ever change that to spare anyone's feelings, hell no. I rather be myself than give fake smiles and niceties. If anyone needs banning, it's going to the people that only want to talk about how great Lin is and how they feel the Rockets are mistreating him.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You are Vernon Maxwell or Ron Artest or Calvin Murphy or Charles Barkley.

7. txn

txn Member

Nah, Kendrick Perkins :grin:

8. HoopFan

HoopFan Member

Well. I guess for some being nice is just being nice, and for some it's fake. Let's just leave it to that:rolleyes:

9. pakattak

pakattak Member

C'mon. Think about what being a hardcore sports fan really means. It's crazy! We're dissecting, discussing, arguing, getting angry over people playing a game invented by someone at the YMCA to give exercise to kids while it's raining outside.

I love sports. I love watching and following and nerding out over sports. It makes me happy and depressed and excited and all sorts of other emotions. But looking at the whole culture from an objective standpoint, you have to admit everything is a little insane.

1 person likes this.
  10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Good grief. Another to add to my ever expanding ignore list. What nonsense.

11. Doktor Mndbndr

Random (but good) non-basketball reasons LOFs should be banned: (1) bad grammar, (2) weak command of English in general, even if arguably grammatical, (3) bad jokes, (4) lack of internet decorum.

There should also be a ban rule for "consistently posts below a certain standard", and maybe also if a single post indicates the person is "unlikely to ever post anything of quality".

And ban for detachment from reality, paranoia towards imaginary enemies of Lin, delusions of grandeur for Lin, ego sensitivity due to living vicariously through Lin.

Also maybe ban for use of terms "LOH" and "McFail" and inappropriate single-minded mention of "Carmelo Anthony" as ballhog.

12. Doktor Mndbndr

Almost forgot:

Ban for incessantly (and surreptitiously) undercutting imagined rivals of Lin for playtime (Beverley), balltime (Harden), or, overtly, for not giving Lin start, 4th quarter finish, playtime, or balltime ("McFail" and Sampson).

It's kinda funny COF fans do this too, e.g.,
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=245239

but the world has only 3 or 4 COF, versus a few hundred thousand at least LOF.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Don't assume that Clutch won't boot someone for making posts certain to inflame what is obviously an on-going problem. He has done it before, and more than once.

14. Doktor Mndbndr

I understand moderation takes a firm line; I merely wish to applaud, and to encourage them to err on the side of firmness.

As it one LOF suffice to hijack and ruin a thread. Same pattern of trollage by LOF (even if inadvertent - most of it appears to be unthinking or semi-conscious fanboy & fangirl behavior), which provokes kneejerks by the LOFH, which sets in motion the downward spiral. And (again) this world has LOF many, CF thread few.

Also, the lack of forum feature to label the LOF. If their bias were known beforehand, it would be almost tolerable (I emphasize "before" their post read by others - in a header or preamble - in footer not early enough. Such as, "warning, LOF, with all attendant bias".

15. HoopFan

HoopFan Member

Jesus! Sound like a great idea. Let's run a fan forum like Nazis run concentration camps. Can this get even more ridiculous! Clutch, close this thread already!

16. baki

baki Member

Those are your policies, so respect mine:

- Stop with the name calling or targeting people who might also like Lin
    - Stop trying to bully basketball enthusiasts who otherwise wants to enjoy talking the game
    - If you have anger or confrontational problem seek help professionally not on a forum

This is a good site but the constant complaining of Lin is too much. Taking him out of the team isn't going to solve your attitude problem.

17. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Why should I respect the mongrel that invaded our home, took a crap on the carpet, and ate all our food. I consider LoF's like cancer. You don't respect cancer, you kill it. Trading Lin would actually fix a lot of the issues as his fans would migrate over and plague whatever team's fan board that he goes to next. That said, I feel like Lin can help us still so I am against trading him because guess what... I LOVE ROCKETS.

18. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Are you r****ded? You want to ban people who can't speak english perfectly?

19. Doktor Mndbndr

Quality-wise, this is a common type of post by LOF:

Jesus!

A cliched response.

Sound like a great idea.

(1) Sounds, not sound. In the first person, not third.
    (2) Another cliched response.

Let's run a fan forum like Nazis run concentration camps.

(1) "Ran", not "run". Past tense.
    (2) Cliche, again (i.e., Nazis).

Can this get even more ridiculous!

(1) "Could", not "Can". In the subjunctive.
    (2) Cliche.

Clutch, close this thread already!

(1) Poor style. Assumes familiarity with the moderator (where presumably none exists).

Even the username ought to be "Hoopsfan", not "Hoopfan". Two hoops, not one. Thus in the plural, not singular. Ugh.

Obviously not from a native speaker of English.

What's bothersome, however, isn't the grammar, but the mind - the indication of inability to think and to ever put up a good post.

20. langal

langal Contributing Member

I hate it when Haren hogs ball for own points. Takes many shot away from Lin. Then and MCFAIL bench Lin!! smh..

Staff and management wish Lin fail...smh..

Sura faints.

#1060 langal, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014