1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

[ClutchFans] The Day T-Mac Lost the City of Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 14, 2009.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Thats just ignorant and stupid.

2. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

So he can quit when things get difficult again? No thanks.

That's what cracks me up about you people still defending this guy. The Toronto game was just ANOTHER incident in a career full of quitting, complaining and deflecting criticism. This wasn't Kobe Bryant having one game where he quit trying but a thousand other games where he was the hardest working player on the court. This was a guy doing what he always does. Stop treating this like it is an isolated event. It's who he is.

If he comes back he might add W's for this team but do you really want to bring back the fool's gold that is McGrady? Do you really want to change the chemistry, alter the rotation and incorporate a guy who is almost guaranteed to quit and/or blame his team mates when the pressure really comes on? Do you really want to have this guy on the court when Utah gets physical in a game 7 in the first round? Do you want him handling the ball when Kobe Bryant decides to go into all world defender mode and stop whoever has the ball on our team? I know I don't.

How many times does this guy have to make a fool of you before you get it?

3. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

that's as dumb of a generalization if there ever is one.

whenever tracy mcgrady was healthy, he was one of the best players in the L and an all-nba for us. he has played through MULTIPLE injuries during his tenure here. yes, he has had some personal and professional struggles, but even I have admitted tracy was never a very strong minded mentally. sure, we all would prefer if tracy would handle injuries better than he should have, but it is what it is.

i still remember the 07-08 series v. the jazz when he played on 2 injuries that required surgeries afterward, and he was the only one who gave a damn in the elimination game. that meant something.

but anyways, tmac's time is pretty much done in houston. and not all fans who enjoy mcgrady's talent are purely mcgrady fans.

4. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

"I can't relate to a guy who quits after a year of frustration and is seen out in the open with moisturizer and women's magazines. That wouldn't fly in my corporate environment."

[​IMG]

Tracy, I still know what you can do on the basketball court. If you're reading this, and I know you are, you need to play with a chip on your shoulder. The biggest thing holding you back is your ego - you can't afford to bring it to the court once you return. Treat the kids with respect and don't worry about being the man anymore. Start out small, end big.

Ignore the media.

-Ronny

5. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I second that. Great great post by Clutch. Probably one of the all time best. Way to go Clutch.

6. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

have you heard of venn diagrams? circles which overlap?.. for some of us... one circle indicates rockets fandom and the other Mcgrady fandom.some of us here are inside the area where the circles overlap.. does that make us anti-rockets?

7. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

just wanted to bring this to your attention, since you were getting on me for "comments that bring down the quality of this forum" with my insight on tracy. this type of judgemental baseless commentary is your idea of quality then?

you sure do have a habit of calling people names and insulting them because they dont agree with your opinion.

quality my a$$.

8. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

Thank you. If there were a standing ovation emoticon, this would get it.

Well said.

9. RocketMadness

RocketMadness Member

Alright, how isn't he gonna come back? The Rockets could buy out McGrady which I hope never happens. They could trade him for lets say...Jermaine O'Neal another player thats done, injury prone, and overpaid.

Bottom line is no one will take McGrady off the Rocket's hands. I'd be glad if we get a few first round picks for him, but right now it's impossible for him to leave this Rockets Organization.

10. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

LOL. I always laugh when i see that pic.

T-Mac doin work :p

11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Excellent analysis. My biggest worry about TMac was his behavior his rookie year in Toronto, how he would sit at the end of the bench and pout. I thought that he had turned the corner in Orlando. Ah, well. The Rox look damn good without him.

12. Luckkky

Luckkky Member

Who would win if clutch and Mac put some gloves on??

13. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

At the expense of being lambasted, here's my 2 cents...

The article was well written and I think it illustrated the feelings of many Rockets faithful who were also disgusted by the on court apathy shown in Toronto.

I can not sit here and argue that T-Mac has been Cal Ripken, but we also have to be fair: T-Mac is ten times the player Trevor Ariza is without question. Yesterday we witnessed Trevor Ariza go 0-9 and swing at DeRozan rather than get back on defense and hit some baskets. Wasnt that cowardly?

Despite Toronto, the overwhelming majority of T-Macs tenure was that of a player playing his tail off. Review Kobe, Lebron, or any other superstars career work and I'm sure you'll find plays where they gave up. You'll find dissatisfaction, argumentation with other players, and you'll find downright bad sportsmanship.

But you'll also find championships and a desire to win when the game is on the line.

I'm not sitting here saying that I'll be upset if T-Mac never gets back on the court as a Rocket, because I wont. But to act holier-than-thou about one play that supposedly epitomized the latter end of his tenure in Houston does a disservice to the man's body of work in Houston.

If T-Mac comes back on the court, I for one will watch and hope for the best. And after seeing Ariza play SG, I truly hope that T-Mac can come back, help the team, and integrate into a team oriented offense. anyways, just my 2 cents.

14. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Whoever has a tongue ring

15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

People want to bash Kobe for quitting on the Lakers but has anyone considered maybe the Lakers sucked and had quit on Kobe before that? Aside from a VERY VERY underrated playoff series performance by Odom, Kobe had Smush Parker, Kwame Brown, and Brian Cook logging the most minutes on that Laker team going against a monster Phoenix team. Granted, the Lakers were up 3-1 before choking it away but Kobe's performance in Game 5 & 6 were pretty damn good. He dropped like 40 something points on the Suns in Game 6.

I think people give Kobe a pass on his own jackassness because they see/know how hard he works as any NBA player. That may or may not be the right thing to do but no one denies that Kobe just wants to win. McGrady on the other hand......Basically Kobe publicly called out his teammates and wanted to be traded and those actions aren't right but what McGrady did on the court (that infamous Toronto game) and off the court (calling it a season by having surgery WITHOUT telling the organization first) is just as bad. One is doing it in a more direct manner while the other is doing it with some subtlety but both individuals' actions are just as bad.

The trouble with swallowing the hope that he "does what he should do with his level of talent" is that history has told us that is the sequence of events that are likely to happen based on what has happened the past few seasons:

1. Rocket announces McGrady will come back for X game
    2. McGrady will talk to the media and say all the right things
    3. All eyes are on McGrady
    4. McGrady will come back and do fairly well (14 points, 4 assists, 2 rebounds?)
    5. McGrady will declare, post-game, that he's BACK. Not back, but BACK
    6. Rockets will win some games and lose some games
    7. There will be one game where the Rockets get blown out.
    8. McGrady will come in the very next game guns ablazing.

Will this happen to a T? Absolutely not but this isn't based on unwarranted assumptions either.

16. Luckkky

Luckkky Member

TMAC LMAOOOOO :grin:

17. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Tracy's reading "Vegas" Magazine in the above picture...

just sayin'

good op/ed piece, though...

18. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

since 2004, Tracy McGrady has played in only 65% of the games the rockets have played. that's a poor foundation for any argument that he played hard for the "overwhelming majority" of games. he didn't play in an overwhelming majority of the games in the first place.

19. J-Wolf

J-Wolf Member

TMac's problem is that he gets frustrated very easily and has a playful attitude toward basketball. I have never seen him playing like the game is a war, like the game is his life. When things do not go well for some time, he loses his will/interest very soon. Granted it does not hurt his pocket, but it hurts fans, who could be 100 x more passionate toward bball as TMac. It's such a shame as talented as TMac is, he does not truly LOVE basketball.

20. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

Like Clutch said it was the last straw for a lot of people. Someone said Clutch was fickle ... it's the otherway around.