1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] The Day T-Mac Lost the City of Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 14, 2009.

1. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

Exactly. Lakers series 2nd round game 1. Yao helped seal that game with a major injury

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Holding hostage is a pretty strong word. Nobody in the NBA does that to threaten their careers. This is illogical. He was surrounded by people that were no good to his fitness.
    The only thing was he was giving tacky interviews and he should have stayed out of the media. Lebron did his decision. I still can't understand why people were that mad.
    Ok it was too much but burning his jerseys is just beyond reason for my part.
    Some so called fans are using an outlet for their frustration instead of being rational and staying reserved, objective.

3. MykTek

MykTek Member

...Yao Ming...Lakers series...tunnel scene... thats how not to lose fans.....

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes he quit.

What's next?

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was replying to the person who claimed that article was written to smear tracy. I know you know this, therefore I'm not trying to convince you specifically of the evidence.

thank you for always replying to me though.

6. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

No. It was one game where his head CLEARLY wasn't there. Was he purposely not giving it 100%? Possibly. Injury? Problems with coach/management? We can't confirm why either. We do know its evidence of only ONE GAME. There are plenty of current players who clearly don't give it 100% every game. If they made a video of your favorite player's worst game, would he recieve as much hate as Tmac

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I don't there is anyone to blame. At some point whether it was the failure of the surgery, the doctors, T-mac's body, or T-macs rehab/training - or some combo of all 4 - the point is his body couldn't take the demands of the role and that is what ultimately led to his demise.

Had he ever been able to return to form, everything would have been forgiven and forgotten. But he could not. And that is life in sports.

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

He clearly didn't want to be in the game. It was pretty pathetic and basically he was not as much as quitting as he was being a baby and pouting - which I am not sure is better or worse. He wasn't happy and let it be made known by his on court play.

Could you imagine Larry Bird, MJ, Malone, Lebron, or even Lin ever doing something like that?

Now, do I think he deserves 8 years of vitriol for it? No. I think a month is enough. People make mistakes. You are right it was just one game. But it was definitely a lower point than any other HOF I can remember.

9. photojoe

photojoe Member

I will never forget that... Yao in the tunnel at the Staples Center, trying so hard to come back in the game. The trainers telling him, and basically trying to pull him, into the locker room, but he kept pulling back and trying to get back to the game. I always liked Yao, but that moment to me is the reason why I have so much respect for him. I wish I could find a video of it on youtube.

10. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

^

[youtube]6jRXhj1PpFU[/youtube]

11. tinman

Supporting Member

I know you are TOFing and you didn't even read the article,
    so here some key points:

1. The article was written by the dude who let you in this board, if you have any issues on accuracy, ask him

2. The guy is our highest paid player and clearly being selfish

3. Your history of the Rockets stinks, you know what happened after this right? He is out of the Rockets

4. It's not his 'worst game', it's his quiting.

5. This article is factual, doesn't matter if you like the player or not

12. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Man this is so sad yall still discuss this. Get over it. Thank god he retired so we can focus on the upcoming season. Anyone else want a diaper?

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Clutch isn't a demi-god. He's a human like the rest of us. I respect his opinions and his knowledge, but he's prone to emotions and knee-jerking like the rest of us. His article was justified at the time.

But it's a joke to think that this represents TMac's entire career as we look back.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

How do you know he's human? I believe he was sent from the future to save Rockets fans from the fake fans.

He sent an army of cybernetic beings to destroy non believers.

"I'll be back" is a famous phrase said by the Terminator and Tracy McGrady during that season where he was supposedly rehabbing with Tim Grover.

#674 tinman, Aug 28, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Well if that's the case then I've made the mistake of disagreeing with a time-traveling cyborg.

16. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

everyone has off days

17. Karolik

Karolik Member

Why you hate Tracy you TOHs and ABTs!!!!

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There was a similarity with the Royce White situation. He wanted to go with his doctors and Rockets were going with team doctors.... and they kind of split in the middle to see more doctors with different views

In the end he went to a specific doc and did not tell those in the organization.
    I do not want to judge this because he is an employer but he is like the highest paid employer on that team and he's got some rights.
    I think at the end of the day if he were come back as the superstar that he was, nobody would be complaining.
    He did not ever come back the same player as 2005 and then came the fallout. (His mind telling him he is still a star - body broke down completely)

His fitness guy was a fraud, and so on... Grover could only do so much in the end
    He did not work out in the offseason and so on

19. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

If TMAC played with the same drive Yao did even as his body was deteriorating, he wouldve had a chance to win his beloved title on his own terms...Guess who our opponent would've been for the finals: "Dwight Howard's Magic." I have never been let down by a pro athlete for not trying as much as TMAC did that season. There are plenty of athletes cheat, lie, rob, murder, steal, and are smug. But all of them love what the do, or they wont do it. TMAC had God given abilities that he laid waste. TMAC at 80% was still better than most players at a 100%. But in order for that statement to ring true, one must make sure that a he is playing with a 100% passion.

I was rooting for TMAC to get a ring with San Antonio all throughout the playoffs. And then I saw the unthinkable happen in that series with ~about 30 seconds left in game 6. The unshakable Spurs with a 5 point lead were suddenly shook and confidence went out the window. The Spurs bunch are winners and have always been. They have nothing left to prove. But a title for TMAC meant a lot, especially for him. I wonder if basketball gods really did punish a player just like him. I really do wonder...

20. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I'm pretty sure T-Mac played a series against the jazz in 08 that he knew would be a losing effort on a knee and a shoulder that needed surgery. He took cortisone shots before every game and wore multiple braces while putting up LeBron James numbers during that series that the Rockets had NO CHANCE in because Yao was injured as usual.

But yeah, he never did anything for the Rockets and never put in any effort. That sweet revisionist history :rolleyes: