1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Grizzlies @ Rockets 3/13/2004

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 11, 2004.

Tags:
  1. liujun0768

liujun0768 Member

where is that guy named Memphis X?:D

2. WNBA

WNBA Member

Sf should never shoot 3-pointers.

3. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

trade up for a pic,

4. prlen

prlen Member

Yao 's defence is the key to get the win.
    and low Tu. is another key point.

BTW.In 4 Q Guards should pass the ball to yao more.

5. YaoTheMan

YaoTheMan Contributing Member

wathcing the same game on Telemudo. Of course I turned off the sound and listened to Houston Game instead. :D I totally agree that Hinrich is a very smart player. Quick and accurate passing. But I don't think we could have gotten him.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Where are the posters with the endless JJ vs. Posey comparisons? And what about the CD bashing people? (for letting Posey go... and picking up JJ and Padgett).

7. codell

codell Contributing Member

You just had to get that in didnt you???

8. choujie

choujie Member

A win is a win. But 12 TOs and only 7 assists in 2nd half is bad. We got outplayed by Grizz in 2nd half.

9. 3-a-charm

3-a-charm Member

I said I "wished" we could have drafted him. But the group we have appears to be jelling at the right time.

10. axmpo

axmpo Member

No kidding. Let's talk about James Posey the Great.:rolleyes:

11. choujie

choujie Member

Steve has been playing very good ball recently.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

SO CLOSE!!!

13. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

wait wait wait... i think i know this. it's an older movie... is it Major Leagues or comething like that?

14. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

Great Win by the Rox!!!!

How sweet was that JJ dunk???

I think Memphis made a mistake by rotating out Jake Tskalidis. Jake actually did a decent job on Yao. But w/o Jake on both ends of the court, I got the feeling, the Grizz got more distracted by Yao. Yao was changing shots on one end, making blocks and then adding another rebounding body on the offensive end. With Jake, Yao had to do some serious bumping down low. Lots of effort from Grizz, but the Rox simply deflated them with outstanding D and some really head's up play by our guards and great clutch shooting by MoT and JJ.

Props to JJ, Francis, and MoT for playing an outstanding game. And Padgett too! Efficient player that Padgett!

And to the Grizz, hat's off to Stromile Swift - he deserves more playing time.

:D

theSAGE

15. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

I wish we have Hinrich too. He will be a great PG in the NBA.

But I hope MJ is 5 years younger too, then we don't need Hinrich.:D

16. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Houston 88, Memphis 80

Preview - Box Score - Recap

By MICHAEL A. LUTZ, AP Sports Writer
    March 13, 2004

HOUSTON (AP) -- Jim Jackson scored 20 points and hit a crucial running jumper with 50 seconds to play as the Houston Rockets won their fifth straight game, 88-80 over Memphis on Saturday night to snap the Grizzlies' seven-game win streak.

The Rockets' streak is the longest current winning streak in the Western Conference, and they worked hard to get it.

Houston built a 78-64 lead early in the fourth quarter, its biggest of the game, but the Grizzlies cut it to six points on two occasions, the last with 2:11 to play on a basket by Pau Gasol.

Jackson's jumper gave made it 84-76, and he also hit two free throws with 28 seconds to play and two more with 14 seconds to go. Jackson had 10 points in the fourth quarter. Yao Ming had 17 points and 11 rebounds and blocked a shot by Gasol with 44 seconds to go.

A victory would have assured the Grizzlies of their first winning season.

Stromile Swift led Memphis with 19 points and Bonzi Wells added 16.
    The Grizzles cut Houston's 52-41 halftime lead to 63-56 with 4:30 to go in the third quarter, but the Rockets built it back to a 70-58 lead on a quick run of a basket by Maurice Taylor and a driving layup and 3-pointer by Jackson.

The Rockets were trailing 28-25 early in the second quarter when they went on an 18-4 charge. Scott Padgett came off the bench to score eight points in the run.

Cuttino Mobley, who broke out of a shooting slump in the previous game with 31 points, added seven in second quarter to help the Rockets get their 52-41halftime lead.

Notes

Houston F Clarence Weatherspoon did not play because of a left calf strain. ... The Rockets complete a five-game homestand Monday and then will play 11 of their final 16 games on the road. ... The Grizzlies are 14-8 in games decided by five or fewer points. ... The Rockets are 29-6 when leading after the first quarter. ... Prior to this season's breakout, the Grizzlies'best season was last year's 28-54 record.

Updated on Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 11:09 pm EST

17. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Don't reach. In case you didn't notice, Yao wasn't the option in the fourth. The Grizz defense against the pick and roll (especially with Gasol as the big man) was absolutely a disaster. There was no need to force it to Yao who was being double teamed before he got the ball. The pick and roll was working and JVG did the right thing by staying with it.

This was a complete ball game and the entire team deserves praise for this one.

18. daburone

daburone Member

Can someone please describe the dunk. I couldnt watch the game. Plus I didnt know JJ could still dunk!

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Ding ding ding... you win. Add 10 points to your total. ;)

20. farhan007

farhan007 Member

where has that pest MemphisX gone to?

"We own Toyota Center"-MemphisX:rolleyes: