1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. bmd

bmd Member

Capela has some nice touch and he moves his feet very well.

He's got the tools to develop a very nice game around the basket and he even has the ability to develop a jump shot.

That, combined with his athleticism, means he has huge potential.

2. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

morey's done such a good job drafting bigs. and the coaching staff has done an excellent job developing them.

3. 08kx250f

08kx250f Member

Kids living a dream. Very happy for him.

4. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Has he been dunked on yet?

5. yo

yo Contributing Member

I don't think being lanky and raw is reason to compare Capela with Hakeem. I think I'll leave it at that.

6. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Maybe you should address the rest of the post, instead of leaving it at that, so your post actually has some substance as to why you disagree, instead of being fluff beret of actual debate?

I think the comparisons are actually pretty close. His footwork is absolutely sublime for a young big. Clearly was a soccer player, also clearly has great hands. Good free throw form, meaning his shot could potentially develop from anywhere he so chooses. Superior athlete. Really the only thing holding him back is how hard he wants to work.

A stat Morey values, maybe above every other stats of the prospects he drafts, is how much a player improves from one year the the next. It's the main reason he drafts prospects that have more than one year in college or Europe. Not so much because he values "NBA ready" players so many like to chirp about, but because he has tangible reasons to believe they will continue to improve as players.

Capela has this in Absolute Spades. His year to year improvement on a per possession basis is absolutely stunning, and watching his rapid growth this year only reinforces it. It's extremely hard to predict a ceiling for a player with all the physical tools in the world, and a very hard work ethic.

Let's hope he has the intelligence/bball IQ in order to progress to the highest levels of the pantheon of NBA centers. I'll step back and watch him grow, and hope that he has the wherewithal to keep improving, even when he becomes so good, minute improvements become nearly impossible.

Maybe not ever Hakeem great, I don't think he can retain quickness as well as hakeem did when he inevitably puts on muscle, but expecting yet another great center coming out of houston isn't totally out of the question

7. Granville

Granville Member

Capela is a rich man's Manute Bol.

8. hakeemthagreat

Ehhh. Poor mans Mutumbo. Ppl need to stop saying Dream though. I know we love underdogs but that's just disrespectful

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

While he is not there now
    I can see him being every bit as good as DeAndre Jordan
    I think he has a bit more upside
    Esp with the proper training

Rocket River

10. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

He will be as good or better all around player than Jordan. Probably never weigh as much, and a little shorter, but I think his running jump or however you say it is as high. He has more potential as a foul shooter, jump shooter/offensive player. The Euro tapes show an occasional reasonably good form jump shot. Right now he is very good at following the strict instructions as to what he should try to do to try to help the team. Play defense, block shots and rebound.

Should be fun to see him in summer league if he doesn't go back to play in Europe for the summer.

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

If we are posting highlights, he played the most in the D-League. Check out the second dunk, was impossible.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eb6IzKclwwU?rel=0&amp;showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think the announcers tagline is "Oh my goodness"? Seems weird.

12. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

Yep. Stromile Swift without the derp.

13. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Reminiscent of the Griffin/Mozgov dunk. He is a power player, I'd rather him stay as a power player and not settle for jump shots. Why does he need to be an adequate triple threat? I'd rather him be DJ than Dwight. Harden prime needs Robin, not Nightwing.

1 person likes this.
  14. yo

yo Contributing Member

Hakeem is a Hall of Famer, possibly the most skilled offensive center of all time, and the leading shot blocker of all time.

Capela has not hit a jump shot yet. He has made maybe 2 successful post moves in his career.

You guys are ridiculous.

15. Man

Man Contributing Member

I remember seeing his first Rockets game in person, he bricked so many shots in garbage time, but also saw that he had pretty solid fundamentals for rebounding and defense, reminded me of Mutumbo.

Great to see how he has improved and contributed in critical moments. Great potential.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I admit I didn't think much of him watching him dominate the DLeague. After all, most of the big guys we had put up big numbers in the DL but still took a long time to adjust to the NBA. I thought he was probably one of those super athletic guys with limited skills that the NBA littered over the years.

But I am impressed with how he has been playing on the big stage. He makes rookie mistakes, but he seems confident and looks natural on the court.

17. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

To be able to crack the rotation at his age is impressive even if his competition is just Dorsey. He just turned 21 today. He's already shown a great knack for rebounding and shot blocking, which are major assets for a center. He didn't make a field goal in his first six games. His last six? He made 73%. He can finish above the rim and finish strong even though he's about 25 pounds underweight for his position. He showed steady improvement in the DLeague despite being injured all year, including the ability to hit an open midrange jumper with decent form.

I'm not going to make a prediction on his growth or make comparisons to other players. I'm just excited that he's a very promising young prospect on our team. Our window is now, but we've got prospects to develop for our future. How many contenders can say that?

18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Lock him in the gym all summer with Dream and watch him emerge as one of the best young backup 5's in the league.

19. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

20. beardsanity713

AYYYYEEE!!!!! AAYYYYYEEEE!!!!
    He eatin
    Clint da Kid