1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chronicle - Brian T Smith] Durant courtship in Rockets' future

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

Unless it's Curry/Klay/Durant.

2. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Yeah that part definitely dampened my excitement a bit. I'd imagine that a superstar of Durant's caliber wouldn't want to be the last piece on "James' team"

3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

If we give up Howard or sign him at a very cheap contract, I would imagine it is. I have no doubt that Morey will make it happen somehow if KD demands Lawson to be on the team when he signs. They could also re-sign Lawson after waiving him. I doubt anyone would want to pick him up with his baggage.

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I would love four straight finals appearences and two championships.

Sign me up! Even if post bliss we end up rebuilding for ten years.

5. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

I'm not sure if this has been addressed yet or not, as I haven't read all the pages ahead of this one. However...

What I bolded above isn't true, but seems to be a misconception that some moneyball doubters share.

Moneyball is about maximizing value. Superstars that are worthy of a max contract are generally considered worth more than you can pay them. That makes them undervalued players. Finding a player that's worth more than his contract is a moneyball move.

6. malakas

malakas Member

Brooklyn will in about 1 second. Since they will likely be also the worst team in the league next year they will have be the first to call dibs. (and with extramega cap space to spare and with little chance to attract any good FA).

7. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

What if the Warriors counter by signing DMC?

8. TheresTheDagger

Yep. One ***** post too many. On ignore.

9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Just like with all big name free agents, I think Durant would entertain the possibility but he's not going to make Houston one of his top destinations.

Agent: Hey Kevin, we can get you to Houston to play with James and Ty
    Durant: Really? Hmm....lets keep that option open. What about going to DC?
    Agent: I'll check
    Durant: Look at the Bulls too. Me, Jimmy Buckets, and Mirotic would be nasty
    Agent: Okay
    Durant: ....Check San Antonio too.
    Agent: Duncan and Manu would have to retire....they would have to trade Diaw...move Parker....
    Durant: Me, Aldridge, AND Leonard??
    Agent: I'll check

10. Phreak3

If he wants a guaranteed ticket to the finals every year, of course he'll go to DC.. especially if they are good. That's his best chance to winning it all.

I don't see how going to the Rockets improves his chances that much more than staying with the Thunder.

11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Agreed. Beal's due for an extension and even if they max him out, Washington has Nene's contract coming off the books and they can decline their options on Webster and Gooden to free up another $10 million.

12. ThaShark316_28

Ready for the "Durant meeting" thread. That's going to be one epic ass thread next summer.

13. Classic

Classic Member

There's always Sacramento.

14. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Think a lot depends on how well the Rockets do in the playoffs this year. If we make Western Conference Finals again or better, it suddenly gets a lot easier to convince Durant that we are not that far away from a championship.

He'll get the money anywhere, but who is the best team that can offer him a shot at a championship. And that can only be determined at the end of this year.

15. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Yes as laid out here there are combos to keep any number of players as long as Howard agrees to less than $20m a year.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=9978323&postcount=137

The version I like is trading away Ariza, Brewer, Bev and Jones and you end up with:

Lawson
    Harden/KJ
    Durant/Dekker
    DMo/Harrell
    Howard/Capela

That's a decent bench considering the starting 5 is unbelievable.

16. Phreak3

If Rockets meet the Thunder in the playoffs, Rockets better beat them. If Rockets lose, it makes no sense for Durant to come here.

17. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

He'd know he would be the final piece to a dynasty...

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

David Aldridge: "Realistically, I don't think he'll be looking at 12 teams. He'll have 4 to 5 teams he'll have on his short list. Oklahoma City(driver seat unless something dramatically happens), Washington, Miami, Houston and maybe Brooklyn(long shot)."

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

No Lakers or Knicks?

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Does not work for Disney network; not mentioned.

Disney Network will tell you, when the time comes, Durant is considering Los Angeles, Chicago, New York, Boston & Dallas.