1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chronicle - Brian T Smith] Durant courtship in Rockets' future

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Nov 4, 2015.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Even for you, this is a pretty ridiculous post. Your answer is in the article. Morey doesn't have any problems seeking elite talent and paying them big money. What sets him apart is juggling all the other contracts, so he's not locked in with a bad team for several years, with no way out.

2. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Whiteside's max would be $21 million. Moving on from Howard to Whiteside (or Drummond) would net us ~$2 million in additional cap savings.

Durant's max would be ~$25.3 million. If we renounce EVERYONE and cut Lawson, we would be at ~$66.3 million in cap space used (plus any roster charges). With the cap set to be at $89 million, we would be at least $2 million short of Durant's max.

Another option would be to offload Brewer, KJ, and Dekker to create an additional $11 million in cap space. This way, we do not have to renounce DMo's rights, and will have the requisite cap space to sign Durant as well.

Lotta moving pieces for Durant to Houston to be a viable option.

3. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=9978323&postcount=137

This post from a few months back does a great job breaking down some of the potential ways for the Rockets to make a Harden-Durant reunion a reality.

It doesn't take into account the potential opportunity to waive Lawson, then re-sign him to a lower cap figure. This isn't a likely scenario UNLESS Morey has some inclination that Durant is seriously interested (cue sources familiar with X player's thinking).

Capologists - if we cut Lawson, then re-sign him to a 1 year deal at $6-8 million, do we have his bird rights in 2017? If so, what is the max we can offer him?

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Yea, a lot, but that's the beauty of not having bad contracts to move :grin:

6. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

To go further with this, "Moreyball" is signing or acquiring players on team friendly contracts, usually stated as "undervalued," and the most undervalued contracts are the true super star players on max contracts; if the CBA didn't limit the max, you'd have to pay way way more for each of them.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

And you get rep

8. Raven

Raven Member

If not Durant, Morey will get someone else. Too many Stars are going to be available. If not Stars, really really good players. Players, hopefully, who can make shots and stay healthy. And, yes, Durant is going to tease it out. We've seen it so many times, it shouldn't even need to be said. Free agents love to be courted. They love it! So even if Durant chooses to stay in OKC, I'd be shocked if the Rockets didn't get an interview.

9. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Who else is available?

10. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Oh me oh my. Al Horford will be available too. I would almost be okay letting Dwight walk if he opted out and rolling with Capela at Center and signing Horford to the max if Durant didn't come.

11. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Over 23,000 posts and you're still the same garbage poster you were on day one. Congrats, that's quite an accomplishment. It's obvious you don't possess the intellectual capacity to understand this issue.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

Someone who doesn't understand moreyball

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Calling others garbage posters? That's coming from someone who's primary role here was to hate on Morey and Battier for years...if they both wouldn't have shut you up, with their success, I'm sure you'd have over 20K posts yourself.

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Im still under the impression that Dwight would have to move on for KD to seriously think about coming here. During the radio broadcast the other night the guys made mention more than once how there seems to be bad blood between the teams that extends beyond hard fought games, and narrows in on a Dwight/KD beef or something along those lines. (im perfectly fine with Dwight moving on by the way, just thought it was an interesting tidbit)

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

From watching Dwight's Periscopes, he's not holding any grudges. IIRC, he was actually defending him about something. If there's any beef, it's from Durant's side, but i doubt it. It seems like one isolate case. IF Durant wants to come here, I'm sure he knows it's best to keep Dwight around.

16. Kwame

No, I'm calling you a garbage poster. Learn how to read. Your primary role has always been to hate on Kwame. You even called yourself a Kwame hater. I'm willing to put all my predictions on the line. If I have more losers/inaccurate predictions than winners/correct predictions, I will leave Clutchfans forever. If the opposite is true, you leave Clutchfans forever. Are you willing to accept that proposition? I don't expect much from you. You're somebody who posts a lot, but says very little. Stick to gossip and instagram threads, because that's all you're good for. You certainly haven't made any predictions, much less accurate ones in over 25,000 posts.

17. RESINator

RESINator Member

Why would Durant want to leave Brodie

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Once again, Kwame is wrong, but what's new?

19. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

It's going to happen

20. Kwame