1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Rockets optimistic about James

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Hungarian Rocket, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

No. Because they are under the salary cap, the TE dissolves once it's traded to them. The TE is designed to help teams over the cap, not under the cap. That is why I'm saying in order for them to do a sign and trade with the Rockets the Rockets would have to give them incentive either with cash or a draft pick.

Well first of all, that's a really undesirable situation for us. If we were to give him more money than the MLE, then you can bet it would only be for three years. The Rockets don't actually want to sign him to a contract longer than three years. They realize he's 31 years old now and would much rather see where he is at at age 34 and hold his bird rights than be locked into paying him until he is 37 years old. What you seem to want to do is give away one of our few desirable assets (probably Luther Head) so that we can sign Mike James for more money than we want to pay him over a longer period than we want to sign him to. Basically, that's a really terrible idea.

But to answer your question to the best of my ability - No. It can't be done anyway. There is some disagreement about this, but the general consensus amongst the capologists around here is that you cannot combine the TE with a player. You cannot combine the 4.2 with a 1.8 million player to come up with 6 million. The TE is worth 4.2 million dollars - So that's what we have to work with in a sign and trade (plus 100k).

Atleast, that's my understanding and I'm about 90% sure that's correct. (Unless Aelliot, NikeStrad or Gater come in and tell me otherwise)

#21 Williamson, Jul 7, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2006
  2. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

That must explain why Chris Bosh and Mo Pete had career years in terms of FGA's per 48 minutes.

3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

They could do it for cash as well, couldn't they? I remember seeing that up to 3 million dollars could be included in a trade. Couldn't we just pay them a million bucks to do the paperwork and send him our way?

4. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I'd rather just use the MLE. The S&T would likely include a 1st round pick and there aren't any FAs left that I'd give up a 1st round pick for. That is unless you Al Harrington goes mildly insane and says, "What the heck...I'll sign with the Rockets for MLE". Or you can convince Toronto to take a 2nd round pick for their help.

5. crooklyn3

crooklyn3 Member

That's because no one played defense. Toronto was second worst team in points allowed which means more balls to shoot since the other teams scores really fast.

6. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Guess that explains why Steve Nash is the MVP. Obviously, he gets a lot of assists from the fast pace.

A Raptors game had whopping 7.6 more FGA's than a Houston game. Assuming half the 7.6 where Toronto's offensive and considering how many of those were taken and made by someone other rhan James...you don't have much credibility.

#26 GATER, Jul 7, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2006
  7. The Hungarian Rocket

Thanks your help. So let's ship cash or a 2nd round draft pick with TE. We should sign him for 4 years. I'm sure he'll be productive in the first 3 years and after that he'll be a running-out-contract and we can trade away him.

8. thephatp

thephatp Contributing Member

ROFL...nice one, GATER! ;)

9. thephatp

I'm glad some people still have their heads on straight. I wouldn't take a chance at giving up a 1st round pick for the 2007 draft with all the people that should be coming out. I know we probably won't have a very high pick, but I still wouldn't risk it, even protected. Look what we got with Luther at 24. And with a draft this deep, who knows if 24 may even be a decent pick. You know what I'm stressin'?

10. crooklyn3

crooklyn3 Member

You just lost all creditbility comparing James to Steve Nash. Nash never looks to shoot first.

11. thephatp

He wasn't comparing James to Nash. ... :rolleyes: Rook...

;)

12. jsb

jsb Contributing Member

Ummmmm lets see who has more credibility around here, Gater who's been around here for awhile or some rookie who's been here for less than a month :rolleyes: Please be nice to everyone especially some of our older posters.

13. crooklyn3

crooklyn3 Member

Why bring Nash into it then? So more post = more credibilty?

14. MadGame2002

MadGame2002 Member

question is would you give Luther Head to toronto to work a SnT

15. MadGame2002

MadGame2002 Member

Everyone is hoping Mike James signs with us...i'm weary. *sigh*

16. rserina

rserina Member

Dallas isn't offering a sign and trade now that Daniels was dealt. They are only interested in the MLE, so far as I understand.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think the Rockets want to use the MLE on another player(s). CD said they need a backup 1 and a two. I see James as the two with the Rockets trying to get either Banks or Spanoullis for the backup 1. They may also go after Cassell if he hasn't re-signed, but would consider him a longshot.

I would expect them also to go after a guy that can play the 4/5 position for when Deke isn't a good matchup if there was anything left of the MLE.

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

More quality posts=more credibility.

19. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

But are Banks or Spanoullis worth giving up a #1? I don't think they are. I'd like to believe that the Raptors will help us out for a #2 pick, but the skeptical side in me says they'd say #1 or forget it. Plus, with the MLE signing (excluding the TEs), I think we are really close to the Luxury Tax level and I can't see Les going over it unless it was for a too good to be true type player that would put us in the elite category.

I'd like to get more players, but there very few I would give up a #1 for. Harrington is one but and I don't see him signing with us for MLE. We might be able to get a Howard and #1 for Harrington S&T but I think Atlanta could find a much better deal than that.

Oh and Cassell is gone.

20. Rocketswon

Rocketswon Member

Yeah I dont understand why Mike James thinks he has a better chance at another ring with Dallas than with Htown and another thing is that Mike James is gonna want to shoot alot and score and in Dallas is he gonna be happy with Terry, Dirk, Howard cuz they are the first choices to score I would think or one of them would have give up shots.