1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Rockets optimistic about James

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Hungarian Rocket, Jul 7, 2006.

1. The Hungarian Rocket

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4030064.html

Rockets optimistic about James
    Dawson feels he's near deal with free agent

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

LAS VEGAS - Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson emerged from his meeting with Mike James on Thursday without his primary free-agent target but with a sense he could be close to bringing James back to the Rockets.

James and his agent, Bill Duffy, still had meetings scheduled with the Dallas Mavericks and Minnesota Timberwolves, but neither team has any more spending room than the Rockets.

James, who is building a home in Houston, has been outspoken since the end of the season about his desire to return to the Rockets, who traded him before the start of training camp last season for Rafer Alston.

"It was a good meeting," Dawson said. "Hopefully, we'll have a decision tomorrow. We feel pretty good about it."

James averaged 20.3 points on 46.9 percent shooting and 44.2 percent 3-point shooting with the Toronto Raptors last season.

"C.D. (Dawson), that's my guy," James said. "I appreciate C.D., and I understand it's a business. I don't know what will happen tomorrow; I don't know where I'll be. Dallas wants to win a championship. They believe I can be a significant piece of that. That makes me feel good, too."

James had career bests in scoring, assists (5.8 per game) and rebounding (3.3 per game) last season. In 27 games with the Rockets in the 2004-05 season, all but five coming off the bench, he averaged 12.4 points, 2.9 assists and 3.2 rebounds.

The Rockets are willing to offer all of their mid-level exception, expected to start at about $5 million. But while working to secure an agreement with James, the Rockets have also been talking to the Raptors about a sign-and-trade arrangement in which they could use a trade exception, beginning at $4.2 million.

In that sort of arrangement, the Rockets would likely have to sign James to a four-year deal to make the package comparable to a mid-level exception, because in a sign-and-trade, in which he is technically signing with his current team, James would receive greater raises (10 percent each season) than if he signed with the Rockets outright.

That would allow the Rockets to hold on to their mid-level exception, and they could spend some or all of it on other free agents. It would start at a smaller figure, helping them keep their payroll under the luxury tax.

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

2. TizzyT

TizzyT Member

Who would we offer for a S&T?

3. The Hungarian Rocket

We would use our TE (4.2M). It means we can offer a 4-year contract around 19.5M (eg. the 4th year will be a player option).

4. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Houston wants the same thing and with a healthy TMac and Yao has just as good a shot as Dallas, should he come on board. And yes he can be a significant piece of that, playing behind jason terry and devin harris. Or he could be a significant piece for the Rockets with a possible starting spot.

5. compucomp

compucomp Member

This makes no sense to me.... Mike James takes a pay cut from the full MLE this way ($5 million + 8% raises for MLE, the 10% vs. 8% doesn't come close to cancelling out the initial money difference). Why would he accept it? Are there extra years tacked onto the end?

6. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

It actually explains that. Apparently the MLE offer on the table (both from the Rockets and the Mavericks) is a three year deal. The trade exception deal would be four years.

Also, I'd expect the Rockets would have to include a draft pick or cash to get the Raptors interested in doing us this favor.

#6 Williamson, Jul 7, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2006
  7. The Hungarian Rocket

Yes. I think with the MLE you can offer max. 3 years. With sign-and-trade you can offer 4 or 5 years, too.

8. The Hungarian Rocket

I don't think so. The TE has great value. So if the Raptors get a 4.2M TE for nothing they won't dismiss it.

9. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

As long as we don't have to give up Head or someone like that, I'm fine. This team needs depth and I hope, if we do in fact do a S & T, that we include a draft pick and not a player.

10. Williamson

Not to a team under the cap it doesn't, and the Raptors are under the cap. All the TE is really good for is shedding salary, but in this case Mike James isn't on their books so it serves no purpose. No, if the Raptors sign and trade Mike James to us it's going to cost us more than the TE. Hopefully it'll just be cash or a second round draft pick.

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I would be unhappy if it was next year's lottery pick. James is obviously looking at the best deal for himself. My concern is that Dallas has much more to offer the Raptors in a trade than we do.

#11 saleem, Jul 7, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2006
  12. Williamson

And no, with the MLE the max is five years. The max a player can be resigned to is six. The reason nobody is offering Mike James more than three years is because of his age.

13. compucomp

compucomp Member

Swift was given a 5 year MLE contract last year.

14. The Hungarian Rocket

If they receive our TE can the Raptors use it in another trade?

15. Champ06

Champ06 Member

Link=http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/14983526.htm

16. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

i think it's pretty simple. the rockets want to give mike james a 3 year contract. they know that right now no other team offers him more years. james himself wants at least 4 years. and that's why he keeps saying that no team has the edge. if the rockets offer him the 4th or even the 5th year (which i think they will in the next days) than it will be a done deal.

17. tricky

tricky Member

Doesn't sign and trade mean Toronto signs him first?!

They could sign him for 6 years at 6 million per+. Then we trade for him with a player and a piece of paper?

James gets way more that way and Toronto gets something for it?

I'm asking?

Sparky...

Put down the nasty keyboard finger and slowly walk away, I'M ASKING!

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

James averaged 20.3 points on 46.9 percent shooting and 44.2 percent 3-point shooting with the Toronto Raptors last season
    _______

Folks that is an impressive stat line ---> 44.2% behind the arc :eek:

19. crooklyn3

crooklyn3 Member

Yes but he needs to dominate the ball to do it.

20. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

So much misinformation in here, I'm not sure where to start. I must be on quite a few ignore lists 'cause I know I've posted this 3 or 4 times a day.

MLE $5M
    Yr 3 = 16.2M
    Yr 4 = 22.4M
    YR 5 = 29.0M

Min MLE is 1 year, Max MLE is 5 years, raises are 8%.

$ 4.3M TE
    Yr 3 = 14..3M
    Yr 4 = 19.9M
    YR 5 = 26.0M

TOR has James' Early Bird Rights. Min is 2 years. Max is 5 years, raises are 10.5%. We can include 100K as part of our $4.2M TE.

If DAL and MIN are offering 3 year deals, the 4 year TE deal exceeds it by $3+M.

Why TOR does it?

Min = 2nd round non-guaranteed pick to shuffle papers.
    Best case for them = Luther Head @ 1.05M and/or a 1st round pick (likely protected).