1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] McGrady expected to play short minutes in next 6 games

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Dec 15, 2009.

1. t-mac_#3_SG

t-mac_#3_SG Member

Wait a minute, did he play last night!? i didn't get to see the game, but a friend of mine recorded it and he's
    sending it to me right now, so i'll probably watch it in the evening. So he DID get to play?? that's great
    news!!! finally, a good decision made by RA. GO T-MAC AND GO ROCKETS !!!!

2. marciagong

marciagong Member

Yes he did, for a little less than 8 minutes in the 1st quarter. Don't miss the game tomorrow cause he's playing too. You're welcome. ;)

3. wikiwiki

wikiwiki Member

No, the media has also been behind a lot of it, especially that douche over at yahoo sports. They were making up all that stuff about controversy and conflict to get viewers and it's time we punished them by not listening to that BS anymore.

4. Not brake

Not brake Member

I love you, T-Mac! Go, Go, Go!! Championship is out there!!! :)

5. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

It is pretty crazy because even after that surgery 7 minutes is jut not enough. I'd say let him play 7 in the 1st half and 7 in the 2nd half.

Do it for 5-6 games and than you can play him consistently for about 30+ minutes.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Not at the expense of the team, he is not ready and honestly the 3 guys ahead of him are better right now.

Tracy can play offense, because he is very gifted as a passer etc, but right now he is really slow, and not able to keep up.....

He has to earn more time.....and that means going hard, since he is only playing 7 minutes I want to see him come in like Landry and play with passion.

That is how he gets more minutes....last night he was still playing passively, but I give him the benefit of the doubt, being first game back etc, and him wanting to fit in.....

But if he wants more time, he has to beat out the guys ahead of him, and right now, from what I saw, he is still not ready to do that.

DD

7. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

We all know who you are and that you don't want McGrady back.

I don't know how he looked but from what I have heared he didn't look bad. The guy has not played in 9 months so it will take him few weeks to get his head and body into the right shape.

Right now I strongly doubt he is worse than Shane or Trevor.

8. wikiwiki

wikiwiki Member

Offense-wise this is an undeniable FACT, even in just 7 mins on his first ball game in 9 months.

9. DaDakota

Well since you didn't actually SEE the game, and I did.....he is most assuradly behind them in speed, quickness and defense.

But on offense he is about even because of his passing ability, but still is not moving that well, honestly Jeff, he looked....really slow.

DD

10. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

People can say that Ariza and Shane play better defense. TRUE.

But still, we are not playing defense this year so it doesn't make a big difference

11. wikiwiki

wikiwiki Member

When we've lost big this season, it's not been about bad defense. 17 missed shots against Portland? Missed 3's against Toronto?

We needed T-Mac and he produced under more pressure than he'll get between now and the playoffs tonight.

12. worzel gummidge

If you haven't seen, how can can you be critical of DD's opinion? McGrady is at the least a month away from being ready.

13. Drawkwa22

Drawkwa22 Member

lol this.

14. wikiwiki

wikiwiki Member

Also, there's no question he's not going to get to Aaron Brooks or even Kyle Lowry, Chase Buddinger speed. But he doesn't have to. I don't think Brooks should lose a minute of playing time to T-Mac unless he has a really bad game.

We don't need EVERYONE to be down at the other side scoring within 2 seconds of a turnover. We do need help when the other team is set up and ready to defend as our big losses this season have shown.

15. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I'm glad T-mac is out there. I know i'm in the minority, but T-mac is going to help Brooks. When Brooks gets trapped, T-mac can also get the ball and try to break his man off the dribble.

I'm excited to have T-mac back. He definitely looked slow yesterday, but he'll get faster if he keeps playing. Can't expect a guy to play at game speed when he has been out for so long. I'll give him a few weeks to make a proper judgment.

16. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

In person he didn't look as slow. He looked more awkward than anything and a bit hesitant. He looked like what he is, a guy who is in great "gym shape" but poor basketball shape.

If I had to rate him on a scale of 1-10 for someone in their first game back from microfracture I'd give him a 6.5. He looked better than I expected but he didn't do anything (and was not expected to) that makes me think he will be a 25/6/6 guy again. I do think he can regain the athleticism he had 07-08 in time.

17. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I definitely do not expect 25/6/6 ever again. Honestly, I don't care about his stats, as long as he helps the team and doesn't mope about being a bigger part of the offense, I'll be happy.

18. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Contributing Member

To me he didn't really look like what I'd call slow on TV either. I'd say he looked hesitant, which is probably expected.

Of course, in a flat out sprint on the break he wasn't keeping up, but it also didn't look like he was trying.

What I'm trying to say, is that I think there's a lot higher ceiling out there that will come with time on the court.

19. DaDakota

Yeah, I agree with that, and that is exactly what Adelman has been saying he has not crossed that mental hurdle of trust with his knee yet.

Perfectly understandable.

DD

20. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

I like this idea. I'm definitely with DD on this one, let him EARN his minutes back.