1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between Luka and the Mavs and Shai and the Thunder. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Christian Wood... Would you trade him? (Fit seems off)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Slabhurta3, Oct 7, 2021.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

No, it isn't.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  2. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Explain why not. How is it that certain teams obtain high draft picks yr after yr and continue to miss the playoffs?

Those players are obviously talented, because they are being chosen so high, so what it?

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

Lol, no, u can’t. Please tell me the odds of even just making 1 All-Star or All-NBA team based on draft slot. Hint, the higher the pick, the higher the odds.

Emoni Bates is the only good player in his draft class or something?

20/10 on the worst team in the league…Vucevic been putting up 20 and 10 or close to it on bad teams for the longest

4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Wood isn’t anywhere close to untouchable but I’m not in any rush to trade him. He’s a good player that still has his best days ahead of him. I’m interested to see how his season goes.

jch1911 and napalm06 like this.
  5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/trade-down.311257/page-6#post-13527674

This guy knows his stuff.

Reeko likes this.
  6. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Many analysts had Bagley rated higher than Luka. It’s not like they went completely left field and took someone who was a total mystery. They took a highly regarded player who hasn’t worked out as well as they hoped. That can just as easily happen to the Rockets.

7. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

There’s no excuse for missing on Curry. They got waaay too smart for there own good there.

8. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

There is no need to lose this season on purpose to get another high draft pick. We have Green! Sengun would have been a Top 5 pick in next year draft so we are ahead of schedule. Plus, we got Garuba and Christopher. You usually need 3 main player to grow and groom to a Championship Team. We believe Scoot, Green and Wood are our star players and we have Sungun, Martin, Garuba and Christopher to support....now we just need a UPSET Star to be traded on our team next year for our Championship!!!

theDude likes this.
  9. dmoneybangbang

But time and time again? I think the different between the perennial lottery teams and others is they minimize the busts and poor choices.

steddinotayto likes this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

steddinotayto likes this.
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

it happens too often with them

they also selected Thomas Robinson at 5th overall with Lillard still on the board

Lillard has made Portland a playoff mainstay while Robinson was traded to us for nothing during his rookie season…could’ve had a borderline top 10 player in Lillard, and instead just wasted a whole 5th overall pick

imagine taking someone 5th overall, and then trading them their rookie year for Patrick Patterson, Cole Aldrich, and Toney Douglas

they needed a guard to pair with Boogie, and instead went with Robinson for who knows what reason…then the guards they do take are like Nik Stauskus who got traded after 1 year along with a top 10 protected pick to Philly

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. Franchise 101

Franchise 101 Member

This is the kind of whiney toxic disrespectful disloyal takes I can expect from flakey 'clutch'fans. Then complain if a player isn't loyal, smh great delusion and blindness.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Simmons is under contract way too long for our rebuild, we’d lose too much flexibility and be just good enough to reach perpetual mediocrity.

14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

he also doesnt fit our timeline

groovemachine likes this.
  15. Juxtaposed Jolt

To be fair, it's not like the Curry at Davidson was this shooting God with great handles like right now. Dude had a small frame and could have turned out to be a run-of-the-mill Redick or Korver. And, when he did get to the NBA, he had this injury phase where he had glass ankles, Warriors were pretty close to trading him away in lieu of Monta Ellis.

I do think Curry > Flynn was the right choice at that moment in time, but Rubio was too good to pass up.

16. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

If Wood can play as well as he did prior to his ankle injury (or, better yet, what we saw in his last year with Detroit), over an 82 game season his Win Share value would be well within the Top 20 range in the NBA.

17. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Wood's a great scorer, but a poor defender and passer which makes him so hard to build around. Those are major weaknesses for a big man. He's relatively inexperienced so maybe he can improve on those areas, but I wouldn't count on it. Still, I wouldn't trade him just for the sake of fit, nor do I think Simmons is a good fit at all. I'd rather wait and see how our current young core pans out and only trade Wood for something that addresses our future needs rather than current needs.

Also, while tanking this season would be ideal I think Wood having a healthy season would do wonders to increase his trade value. We might be bad enough to tank naturally anyway, so there's a lot of room for things to pan out well for us.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Nah it wont do wonders for us. You start off saying Wood may not be a good fit but then you want mother****ing Simmons??????

Dude who cant shoot Simmons???? Cuz thats exactly what KPJ, Green and Sengun need, somebody who will clog the paint cuz he cant shoot! Rox spent the game working on their fts and KPj talked about how hard he worked on his shot, then you bring in no shot Simmons on the squad? Yeah' that'll make everyone happy to know the Rox dont give a crap about the hard work they put in the summer. Oh, you worked on your shot all summer? Who tf cares, I'm bringing in some dude who cant shoot as our star acquisition!

I'm the point guard Simmons??? Cuz you know, that will really help KPJ to have Simmons be the point guard after he started going off.

So what if Simmons is a plus defender? There are so many plus defenders in the league Nwaba, Tate and Kmart Jr are plus defenders too. It aint something worth trading Wood and picks for.

I've had it with these Simmons stans. You dont need another thread to talk about Simmons. You could have posted this in any of the multitude Simmons threads we already had SMH.

#118 roslolian, Oct 7, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
    Richie_Rich and Jayzers_100 like this.
  19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Sengun is the kind of player who will instinctively find a way to mesh with the guys he's playing with, in my opinion, and I think he'll fit with Wood. If for some reason he doesn't fit with Christian, I'd be looking to move Wood. I think Sengun is clearly that good.

As many have said, we've seen Christian in one preseason game with what is essentially a "new" team and that's it. He's surrounded by several rookies and second year players chomping at the bit for minutes, as well as vets Gordon, Theis and Augustin. The guy deserves plenty of time to get comfortable with all the changes. They all deserve some time, in my opinion.

In the unlikely chance that Wood seems uncomfortable or even unhappy in his surroundings a few weeks into the regular season, but is still the solid producer on the court he's shown he can be before getting injured last year, I'd at least consider moving him. My guess is given that scenario, he could get us a lot. Were that to happen, I'm having a difficult time imagining a scenario where that would involve us getting Simmons. Facilitating a multi-team deal? Sure.

20. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Rubio had the biggest Rep, he was this baby faced international superstar at a time where everyone in the league WANTED to find the next one. Curry's NCAA act had been seen before. But it's still no excuse, these guys get paid millions to evaluate talent. The Warriors were built off GM's having their head up their collective asses. Curry (7th), Klay (11th), Draymond (2nd Round) and the league had all but given up on Iggy & Livingston as being impact players (acquired via trades). Bogut was an afterthought. It's really amazing when you think about it. Hopefully, the Rockets can build an elite team with guys that others either miss or give up on.