1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chad Ford Insider] Hou working on 4 team deal [Update: Done Deal - Ariza for C Lee]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Convictedstupid, Aug 11, 2010.

1. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

wow, yeah i like lee alot. he's got a good head on his shoulders and is a great athlete.

with that said, we'd be giving up alot of height and defense.

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I agree, this move will definitely compromise our winning. In fact even lessen our winning. Lee does not equal Ariza!!!

3. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I trust in Morey. We have no idea what has been happening behind the scenes.

4. Htown's2kFinest

wow a salary dump... Thought Les was willing to pay the tax...

Ariza overall is a better player than Lee. This sucks.

5. Asian Sensation

Didin't read through all the posts and I'm sure some of these have been mentioned but the trade definitely makes sense.

1) Money, money, money. Courtney Lee is on the last year of his rookie contract. Although Ariza makes around FMV this is a good salary dump.

2) Glut at the SF position. Battier/Ariza/C-Bud are all traditional 3's. They can play spot minutes at the 2 but they're not quick enough to hang with other 2's on a regular basis.

3) Our backup 2 guard as is is Jermaine Taylor. Need I say more?

4) Morey probably has a backup plan with a trade for Jeffries, JT and maybe one of our young 4's in the works.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Deal is done....according to tweets......

Trade call with league HQ going on right now.

WOOOHOOO !!

DD

7. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

Courtney Lee can ball and create his own shot...

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Again, this is a simple case of people overvaluing Trevor Ariza. I never really liked his attitude, and he was a trainwreck with the basketball in his hands.

Courtney Lee is a nice player, and now we get to see more of Chase, plus we save money.

This deal has Morey written all over it.

Just as I fully supported the Rafer for Lowry trade, I welcome this one.

9. Hayden_SFC

Hayden_SFC Member

BSPN just moved us from 8th to 9th. :grin:

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I think Ariza is an all-around better player. He does all of the little things and he's certainly a better defender, which is what we badly need right now. I really think he's coming into his own. He really fills out a stat sheet in a way very few players can.

That said, having Battier and Ariza is a bit redundant, and CBud needs more minutes to develop. Lee is a great young talent (starting quality 2) who will be cheap for the next two years. With the uncertainty of Yao, the possibility of having to pay Brooks next season, and the emergence of CBud, this trade makes a lot of sense for Houston, both from a business perspective and talent perspective.

KMart has a history of injuries, so we really needed to shore up the 2 spot (especially because Lowry is incapable of playing the 2, and Brooks is way undersized at the 2). If Yao gets hurt again and we really have to go in another direction, I guarantee you we'll be much happier with Lee than being tethered to the Ariza contract. It also makes KMart tradable if we have to do more rebuilding.

I don't think this hurts us much for this coming season (doesn't help us either), but it will make us better over the next few years. I'd be happy if this went down.

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Well i expected ariza's value to be higher to other teams, but considering his value to us has diminished and it's mostly about money, then i can't complain much about this trade. Lee could start on most teams, he's definitely a nice player to have.

12. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

This makes a lot of sense! I wouldn't mind trading Ariza and I think Lee gives us more depth at the SG ... all we have left of 'natural' SG is Taylor, the guy isn't ready yet and I doubt he ever will!

DM is gooooood, dumping salary and adding a young, nice defensive minded SG that has a lot of potential! I like the trade for us, but I don't get the Hornets ... giving away Collison like that? Do they really think Paul stays with adding Ariza and dumping Collison? I don't get it at all, unless draft picks are involved.

13. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

This was a good move Lee still has upside.

14. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

I don't think Solomon gets up till' about 2.

15. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

On another note: Indy comes out as winners in this trade, getting Collison as their long-awaited franchise PG after failures with TJ Ford, Earl Watson, Jamaal Tinsley, etc...gave up Murphy, but with Granger, Hibbert, Hansborough, I guess they figure they'll be ok.

16. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

http://es.pn/9kxM7n

17. RocketDonut

RocketDonut Contributing Member

Silly DD, of course it wasn't. The Houston Press is released once a week on Thursday. ;)

18. sew

sew Member

**** yes.

Cbud for most improved 2010-11.

Ya'll know Morey likes his players to be efficient. Ariza just wasn't working.

19. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

This deal has Money written all over it. :grin:

20. bigbodymoe

bigbodymoe Contributing Member

There's another trade coming, I can tell you that right now. This deal was only a setup for something else going down. Morey's pattern to date tells me that.