1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CEO Bob Parsons under fire for killing elephant

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Apr 2, 2011.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

You should not be killing elephants because they walked across a few crops -- disgusting.
    ______

GoDaddy CEO Bob Parsons under fire for killing elephant

The head of web hosting giant GoDaddy.com has come under fire for posting a gruesome video of a recent hunting trip to Africa that animal-rights groups call an "elephant snuff film."

In the video, the company's founder, Bob Parsons, and a team of hunters gun down an elephant in Zimbabwe that they claim destroyed a poor farmer's crops.

The team can be seen standing in a flattened sorghum field, which Parsons says elephants had been trampling for the past three nights.

"Unless elephants are stopped, entire crops may be lost," a message in the video says.

The film then cuts to night with the hunters spotting two elephant bulls and Parson fatally shooting one.

He then poses atop the dead pachyderm, resting the butt of his gun on the animal's bloodied head.

WATCH VIDEO BELOW

In a scene the the next morning, local villagers wearing orange GoDaddy hats butcher the carcass and pass out meat as the AC/DC song "Hells Bells" plays over the footage.

Parsons linked to the video on Twitter on March 14, saying, "Just back from hunting problem elephant in Zimbabwe. Here's my vacation video. Enjoy."

A message at the beginning of the video warns of graphic violence.

Activists, animal lovers and some customers said they were furious, calling the video an "elephant snuff film."

PETA called Parsons "heinous" and labeled him the "scummiest CEO of the year," while activists created a petition on Change.org to tell Parsons that "Real Men Don't Kill Elephants."

Parsons said his detractors were missing the point.

"I think everyone's heart is in the right place, but they are missing that things are different over there," he said. "If they had an animal destroying their livelihood and they were going to starve to death ... they'd look at it differently. And that's the situation in Zimbabwe."

The ex-Marine and Vietnam veteran called his critics "a small but vocal minority" and said he wasn't worried about losing customers.

"I helped the farmer protect his field, and I fed a lot of people," Parsons said.

But several commenters on the video's website planned to boycott the company.

"Ugh, disgusting," one wrote. "Switching domains to namecheap… Boom, headshot! Looks like you shot yourself in the foot with this one Parsons."

GoDaddy competitor NameCheap.com also tried to capitalize on the outrage by offering a special deal to customers who transfer their domains to their service.

The company promised to donate $1 to the organization Save the Elephants for every transfer.

link

1 person likes this.
  2. KingCheetah

Be sure to watch the video where he attempts to justify what he has done.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

no excuses for this type of blatant kill for sport. I will not renew any of my domains with NoDaddy.

4. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Except it wasn't for sport. Those elephants were trampling the crop fields. The elephant meat was distributed to the villagers instead of pointlessly mounted. Nothing wrong done here.

Circle of life. Yada yada yada. stfu hippies

1 person likes this.
  5. KingCheetah

Yes it was.

6. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

The elephants were destroying the farmland. Hunters were hired to protect the farm instead of killing a random elephant. There's your difference.

7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Human lives >>> An animal's life. Get your priorities straight everyone.

Well done Parsons!

Who's your Daddy, Dumbo?

8. Relentless

Relentless Member

True. True.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

ever heard of and a tranquilizer gun?

Elephant Relocation?

You must be the type that pours Used Oil down the drain.

10. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Ummmm, who cares?

the elephants were destroying farmland, and it dead fed a lot of people

good for him

11. REEKO_HTOWN

12. KingCheetah

The area they showed was tiny and there was no proof it was the elephants that trampled it. Elephants eat crops they don't just trample them like Stampy on the Simpsons.

This guy wanted to kill a Bull Elephant and created an excuse to do so -- a poor one at that.

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

If you think a CEO of an American company wanted to go Africa to help a couple of poor farmers with their elephant problem, you're just as naive as the idea of capitalism creating a trickle down economy.

2 people like this.
  14. rhino17

rhino17 Member

why is an elephant more worth preserving than a rat?

and it looks like the lions were threatening the lives and jobs of local farmers, so I see no problem with it

again, this isnt just for sport, the guy was not tossing grenades at elephants or mowing them down with AK47s for fun, they killed them for a reason, and it fed a lot of people afterwards

you have any evidence of that or are you just blowing that assumption out of your ass?

15. KingCheetah

1 person likes this.
  16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Oh big surprise! alive rhino doesn't give a **** about a dead elephant!

You disgust me.

17. KingCheetah

Next thing you know he'll be putting out our fire.

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

So basically: Corrupt, filthy rich American ex-soldier CEO pays off corrupt wildlife game officials in Zimbabwe to let him hunt luxury game for sport, tries to play if off under the guise of altruism, fails miserably.

What a disgusting human being.

1 person likes this.