1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

cc.net Spelling Police Survivor game

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by heypartner, Dec 18, 2001.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

:D :D

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Thanks! I love this game! :D

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Just a spectator, but I'd say ill is missing a ' in this context.

4. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Is there a [sic] rule? What about words people make up? HOOP-T brings up an interesting point. What if someone posts a word like "puh-lease," misspelled only to accent the word itself (yet everyone knows what it's supposed to be). Should it now be written "puh-lease [sic]"? Should there be quotation marks around the intentionally misspelled word instead? What is the rule on abbreviations, like LOL, OMG, IMHO, etc.?

As CC.net Spelling League Commissioner (or Emperor/Dictatator, if you will), I think crispee needs to post a 50-page game manual, complete with illustrations, conflict resolution, and troubleshooting tips. :D

5. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

So?

Improper apostrophe usage is just as bad as, if not worse than poor spelling, and should warrant being removed from the contest.

The person who types "Shes going to the game today" is just as bad as the person who types "She's going too the game today."

It's just as wrong.

[SIZE=-2]* -- these words intentionally misspelt to make a point[/SIZE]

6. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

And one more thing! What about curse words? What if I post a misspelled curse word on purpose to make sure it shows up?

See what you started crispee?

:p

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

all right, so the make a "Rule" is becoming a joke. The rule is the dictionary, usage in context, and ultimately the Honor System.

fadeaway,

"shes" is not in the dictionary. Nor does "she's" have anything to do with possessive punctuation rules. So, what is your point????

All I can really offer is be patient. Go for a pure spelling death blow. If you accuse, and the accused challenges it like in Scrabble, you allow me to make a ruling. And I will only consult dictionaries, to include incorrect usage in context. I might kill the accuser. deal with it.

Calling out a kill on slang (with or without [sic])...and bbs slang...and abbreviations...f!cking cusswords...all that stuff will likely get the accuser killed.

wait for the death blows. The target should drop with no struggle. Don't y'all know how to hunt properly?

and DVauthrin was obviously kidding with "ill." Or he should take himself out. The rules are really simple, or you should never accuse.

*next*

8. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Ooh, ooh. I get to make a "kill" here. There is no such word as "misspelt". It is misspelled. Buh-bye - you can now join me, crispee, and the others.

9. heypartner

"spelt" is a valid form of "spelled."

ba-bye Manny.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Dude, that's funny.

11. Manny Ramirez

No, it's not, HP, not according to this site:
    http://www.m-w.com

Type in "misspelt" and see what you get...

If you are going to kick me out for "mite", then you have to do the same for fadeaway. What's fair is fair.

12. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

i left out the apostrophe, thus I'm out, i know the rules of grammar but often times am too lazy to use them here.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

For the sake of giving an easy kill to someone. I'm in.

14. Manny Ramirez

If the Merriam-Webster dictionary is not a "good" source for you, then your game has no credibility, and should be disbanded in my opinion. Have you not verified that I am right about this and that you are wrong?

If anything, I should be let back into the game because of your "erroneous" second kill.

15. heypartner

Don't question a Linguistics moderator with a shelf full of references.

And don't question the Unabridged Webster's either, when you are referencing it. If you don't believe me...then check out

www.websters.com which is dictionary.com....which is our chosen Scrabble challenge dictionary as mentioned several times in this thread.

here is the direct link:

http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=spelt

and please make sure you scroll past the definition for "spell" as in a "short, indefinite period of time." Find the definition for spelling words.

ba-bye.

That is a 3rd kill. so sad!

#115 heypartner, Dec 19, 2001
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2001
  16. Manny Ramirez

I guess it's a good thing that you are out because isn't it the Unabridged Webster's instead of Unabridge Webster's?

It's not my fault that the dictionary I was using is different on this word than yours.

I guess you are going to defend your "misspelling" of the Unabridged Webster's Dictionary with some weak excuse like the "misspelled" argument. So, go ahead and kill me some more...I like the smell of gunpowder, carbite, and burnt feathers!

17. kbm

kbm Member

You're dead fadeaway. I call it so. And if I die as a result, so be it. Look at your sentence again. Between "than" and "poor," you need a comma; otherwise, you have a parenthetical error. My first kill was sweet!

18. heypartner

It is your fault not using either the Unabridged Websters or the online Websters that we chose in this thread as the Scrabble tie-breaker.

btw: I'm out. Hunting me now merely makes you a dorky Spelling Police scrub. People out of the game can only die once. However, accusers can continue to kill themselves.

That's a 4th kill for continuing to question the game's chosen dictionary and for obviously not quoting an unabridged version of your personal chosen dictionary of which I have 4 versions.

ba-bye!

19. Manny Ramirez

So, let me see...I'm dorky for hunting you and catching you making a mistake with "Unabridge", but you keep "killing" me because I'm questioning your source. Doesn't that make you dorky or are you going to kill me a 5th time for asking the question?

:rolleyes:

20. heypartner

kbm,

Great enthusiam...

that's a wash, though, as out of bounds of the game. no kill either way. we are going for pure spelling errors. go for the death blow. grammar rules are too much for our whittle brains. This game would explode into controversy, otherwise. try to kill with the dictionary or improper word usage, only.

remember, the spirit of the Spelling Police was always spelling/word usage. This is not the Grammar/Editing Police. I know there's gray area, but leave it alone. Throw the dictionary at people, not the Style Book. They will make an obvious mistake soon.

patience grasshopper.