1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

cc.net Spelling Police Survivor game

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by heypartner, Dec 18, 2001.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

If you really want to end BBS spelling mistakes, put your own spelling to the test.

Rules:

Enter the Game: Add the words "How's my spelling?" to your signature, and make a post in this thread to enter the game. You must be a "Senior Member" averaging over 1 post per day to be eligible . . . and yes, that takes CBFC out of the running. <b>You can enter at any time.</b>

The Game:
    <ul><li>If anyone on this bbs nails you with a Spelling Police post for misspelling a word (or misusing one like "your" instead of "you're"), you are out.<li><b>Added Rule on 12/19/01:</b> If you make an incorrect accusation, you are out. <li>If a post of yours shows an edit statement, you are out--talk about forcing you to think before you hit submit. (btw: you have 3 minutes to correct spelling errors before the "this post edited by..." shows.)<li>If you get killed, remove "How's my spelling?" from your sig.</ul>

The Prize: You get to misspell the bbs nicknames of all the losers. Just kidding, you win the honor of being the best speller on the bbs for a year.

<a name="thedead">&nbsp;<br></a>
    <b>The Dead with Survival Time and Killer</b>

Post kills in this thread. Please avoid spelling arguments in the Rockets Forum. p.l.e.a.s.e.

<ol>
    <li><b>rocketman95</b>
    Less than 1 day...killed by The Cat for a typo of "it" instead of "hit"
    <li><b>rimbaud</b>
    Less than 1 day...killed by Mrs. JB for a typo of "eauropean"
    <li><b>crispee</b>
    Less than 1 day...killed by HOOP-T for the game's first actual misspelling..."masterbation"
    <li><b>Johnny Rocket</b>
    Less than 1 day...killed by Dr of Dunk for incorrect usage of "it's".
    <li><b>haven</b>
    Less than 1 day... killed by crispee for misspelling..."mispelling" so sad!
    <li><b>Manny Ramirez</b>
    Less than 1 day...killed by TraJ for an invented new usage of "might"...he meant to type "mite" as in a small object. He got killed while bragging about his spelling, too!
    <li><b>moestavern19</b>
    Less than 1 day...killed by HOOP-T for misspelling "alot"
    <li><b>HOOP-T</b>
    1 day...killed by Dr of Dunk for not hyphenating a dictionary-defined, compound word "all-around"
    <li><b>Manny Ramirez</b>
    Less than 2 days...he kills himself a second time for questioning the validity of "spelt" as a valid conjugation of "spell" so sad!
    <li><b>Manny Ramirez</b>
    Less than 2 days...he kills himself a third time for trying to quote Websters to continue to try to prove that "spelt" is not a valid conjugation of "spell" so sad!
    <li><b>Manny Ramirez</b>
    Less that 2 days...he kills himself a fourth time for not accepting his suicidal kills by claiming "it isn't my fault" for not using an unabridged version of his chosen dictionary, nor www.websters.com.
    <li><b>fadeaway</b>
    2 days...killed by crispee for continuously using "shes" versus "she's" as a means to express a possessive apostrophe rule...especially as an excuse to shoot outside the boundaries of the game
    <li><b>Raven Lunatic</b>
    2 days...killed by SteveFrancis3 for incorrect plural of "hero;" he used "heros," which is a sandwich
    <li><b>Joe Joe</b>
    2 days...on a suicide run across an open field so he doesn't have to worry about spelling anymore. MoonDog takes the easy pot shot on "To busy checking spelling two look at how good me ideas ARR!"
    <li><b>DaDakota</b>
    2 days...killed by crispee for "where" instead of "were"
    <li><b>DVauthrin</b>
    1 second...killed on his entry post into the game. Joe Joe claims it although most ignored it as a joke.
    <li><b>Smeggy Smeg</b>
    2 days...killed by Major ...misspelled "repected" while under the intoxicating influence of a LHutz thread
    <li><b>fadeaway</b>
    2 days...kills himself a 2nd time by continuing to whine about wanting more game rules
    <li><b>The Cat</b>
    3 days...killed by crispee on "compliment" rather than "complement"
    <li><b>kbm</b>
    3 days...could have been a champion, but writes more words than DoD and Det...it was going to happen eventually...treeman with the kill on a misspelling of "melodramtic"...at least kbm is in the group of not using spell checkers!!!! that shows confidence.
    <li><b>puedlfor</b>
    4 days...pretty good for a poster with an obviously misspelled nic. we all think. killed by dylan on the dyslexic typo of "quite" instead of "quit"
    </ol>

#1 heypartner, Dec 18, 2001
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2001
  2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm in. :D

If I play my cards right, this should be no problem. I just revert to BobFinn* form.

How hard can it be to misspell "I agree"?

3. Band Geek Mobster

I'm in, but I won't last for long since I type like a r****d.

4. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

You know I'm game.

I'll change my signature later.

5. Band Geek Mobster

I would also like to ask that the Fantasy Forum be left out of this because we have to edit our posts in some of the threads. I don't want some jackass coming over there and ratting us all out.

6. deepellumrocket

Question:

I'm not eligible, due to not being a senior member, and not posting enough, but can I still bust those that are playing?

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I stopped reading after that line.
    I think I'm going to die laughing.

:D

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Im in , because I am the worst speller on this board .

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

10. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I'm in.

I always check over my post as soon as I submit, but I do make mistakes.

Dang, it's taking me too long just to write this post for fear of losing as soon as I start!

11. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

As a card carrying member of the spelling police, I would definitely like to join this contest.

The error that angers me the most (and which seems to be getting more and more common) is when people use "could of" instead of "could have."

12. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lol, heypee, I did not realize that I was such an inspiration to you...two threads because of me now? I am touched.

I will enter, but will say now that I will not win. I am a horrible typist. DoD is right to laugh at your intro.

Also, I added a little more to the sig, in honor of you. Can you name that tune?

13. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

I wish I wuz a seenur member so I kud playe dis game... :)

As a friendly note to all the participants (a.k.a. "the prey"), I'd just like to say:

Prepare to die. I eat English majors for breakfast. I'll be all over your ass like Bobba Fett on Han Solo.

Let the hunt begin...

14. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

I will play,
    and I will lose!

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

OK, Dr of Dunk, how about this top-notch speller goof: Will also made a spelling mistake in the title of a Spelling Police thread. Remember this: <a href="http://bbs.clutchcity.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21435">Lets hear it for the apostrophe!</a>

Man, I've got no chance of surviving. I'm with Behad; I have to slow to a crawl to survive.

...whatever. I swear you Fantasy guys are such sticklers for rules. :rolleyes:

VesceySux,

Isn't 300 posts the "Senior Poster" threshold. Go for it!

16. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

fadeaway,
    Is that a spelling error, or a grammar error?

-----------------------
    BGM,

You're out, <FONT SIZE="1">(according to my dictionary)</FONT> "fanclub" is not a word.

-----------------------
    jimmy crispee, <FONT SIZE="1">(you'll never get the reference)</FONT>

Some questions regarding the rules:
    • Does misspelling a proper name count?
    • Is it solely spelling or grammar too?

17. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm in, but knowing my stupid luck, I'll either forget to include the "How's my spelling?" signature or misspell something in the very next post.

18. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

questions:

1) why should this contest only be for senior members?

2) can I get an exemption since I teach English?

3) does anyone else have the problem I have when typing on the bbs? it only happens when I type posts here. . . for some reason, the bbs will occasionally not register keys that I strike. it could definitely impair my ability to smoke all of you.

4) does capitalization count?

but I'm going to stay away from words like "xenophobia". that's the word I went out on in the 3rd grade spelling bee.

19. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

If you want to give me an invite to the contest (like an "exception"), regardless of the fact that I'm not a senior member yet, I'll happily join this sordid affair. Until then, crispee, I'll relish the role of the hunter.

Oh, yeah, and chievous minniefield, I'll revise my earlier statement and say, "I eat English teachers for breakfast." :)

Oh, look, chievous minniefield, I've got you already. You're out on spelling. Take a gander:

From the UT recruiting summary thread:
    "... as far as I'm concerned, these are the players I want any coach to get. mack may not be God's gift to strategery, but. . . the players are a start."

You are the weakest link. Goodbye.

#19 VesceySux, Dec 18, 2001
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2001
  20. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member